User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Which IPOD should i buy. 20 or 60?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Which IPOD should i buy. 20 or 60?
Kusakun

2005-10-01, 14:46

Hi guys. Im about to buy a apple ipod. The thing is that im not sure which one to buy. I mean. I want to buy either one of this two ipods... But its a hard thing to know.

Can anybody help me with this? Thanks!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-10-01, 15:30

1. It's iPod, not IPOD or ipod.
2. We have a forum specifically for purchasing advice aptly named Purchasing Advice.

Moving now...
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-10-01, 16:07

Well, that depends on what you'll be doing with your iPod.

How many songs would you like to store on it? The 20 GB model holds about 5,000 songs, the 60 GB model holds about 15,000.

Other than the song capacity, the 2 models are virtually identical. I would wholeheartedly recommend either one.

You ask me for a hamburger.
Res

2005-10-02, 03:49

If money is not tight go with the larger one (even if you do not have enough music to use all the space, you can use it to back up or transfer large files).

Not like this. Not like this...
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-10-02, 09:35

Depends on what you want to spend really. If you can *only* afford US$299 then 20GB it is.

On the other hand, if you can afford the US$399 premium you have a decision to make. Is the extra 40GB worth US$100 to you ... or put another way, if you opt for the 20GB model what would you spend/invest the spare US$100 on?

As a general rule, with memory (think of the iPod as a HD that also plays music), it is usually best to buy the biggest you can afford.

One more thing:
20GB -> $14.95 per GB
60GB -> $6.65 per GB
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-10-02, 09:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
One more thing:
20GB -> $14.95 per GB
60GB -> $6.65 per GB
Wow... I think that way about hard disks, but never before iPods. Thanks, Mac+, you've just totally changed my perspective.

I originally bought my mini 'cause it was cheap, but now that you put it that way... $50 per GB makes me feel like it's the 90's again.

You ask me for a hamburger.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-10-02, 10:05

I have to admit - I'm never really that rational about the iPod. My purchasing decisions are based more on need and prospective places of use (workout or travel, for example) rather than $/GB. I just offered it because some people only look at the bottom line.
Kusakun

2005-10-02, 10:13

Ok guys im going for the 60 gb. Unfortunately there are rumors that the iPod 5TH GENERATION is about to arrive. 80 gb hd. But maybe if there are big improvements i will sell my future 60 gb and buy an 80.

I actually have 9 -4.5- dvds full of mp3 to put in the iPod. But the capacity is too much. Luckily i can use it as a hard drive too.
Kusakun

2005-10-02, 10:15

Well.. for me iPod nano, Mini are not options for me. They are almost the same price of a 20 gb player. I will go for them when Toshiba- the company that makes ipod hard drives releases a 20/40/60 gb hard drive for a player as small as nano. hahahaha
mattf

2005-10-02, 10:32

One thing that people haven't mentioned is that the 60GB is a bit thicker than the 20GB. It may only be an extra 3mm thicker, but to me, it's significant enough that I went for the 30GB (when it was available). It's worth comparing the two against each other, if you can.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-02, 15:14

I actually wouldn't recommend buying either right now. They're probably going to be updated soon, and personally, I like having the latest and greatest. But you might be different - it's a consumer electronics purchase, not a computer, so maybe you don't care about upgrades as much - the current iPod plays music just as well as the future iPod will. (Unless they add something earth-shattering like gapless playback or something. )

I think the 5G iPod will be a lot smaller - the design might have a nano-ish "tightness" to it. 30GB for $299, 60GB for $349. I'm not sure what new features they would add.
SlackerDX

2005-10-02, 15:29

Yeah, 20gbs is too small for my music and 60gbs is too big. The 30gb was the money. Luckily, I found some at Sears. Now I am debating on whether or not I have the $350 to spend...
Kusakun

2005-10-02, 16:15

The thing is that i dont know if the next ipod will include video playback. That would be a great change!!!-
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-02, 16:43

Don't bet on it. I'm of the opinion that any "iPod video" will be an all-new iPod, with a larger screen and form factor. Down the road, the traditional iPods may gain video playback, but it's not like it'd be earthshattering. The iPod screen is just too small.
Kusakun

2005-10-02, 21:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
I actually wouldn't recommend buying either right now. They're probably going to be updated soon, and personally, I like having the latest and greatest. But you might be different - it's a consumer electronics purchase, not a computer, so maybe you don't care about upgrades as much - the current iPod plays music just as well as the future iPod will. (Unless they add something earth-shattering like gapless playback or something. )

I think the 5G iPod will be a lot smaller - the design might have a nano-ish "tightness" to it. 30GB for $299, 60GB for $349. I'm not sure what new features they would add.
I dont think 5G IPOD will be as small as nano... In fact Apple is going to put 80 GB toshiba hard drives. Almost the same size as normal ipod
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-02, 21:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusakun
I dont think 5G IPOD will be as small as nano... In fact Apple is going to put 80 GB toshiba hard drives. Almost the same size as normal ipod
Er...did I ever say the 5G iPod would be as small as the iPod nano?

That would be ridiculous. I said that it would probably shrink a little, lose some of its baby fat - the 4G iPod looks quite bloated now! - and maybe "gain some of the 'tightness' of the iPod nano." Obviously, it won't be able to be as small as the iPod nano, but I'm sure it will shrink somewhat.

I'm curious why you're so sure that Apple is going to put 80GB Toshiba HDs in the 5G iPod, while being equally sure that it will be almost the same size as the current iPod. The same reports pointing toward the use of 80GB Toshiba drives are also suggesting the significant shrinkage.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-10-03, 00:18

I look at the iPods this way...

Regular iPod = get the biggest one they sell.
Midrange = nano
Workout = shuffle (or maybe nano)

Because the regular white one is such a handy-dandy hard drive, might as well get the most capacity they offer. Other than that, go for a flash memory player that you don't have to worry so much about.
Kusakun

2005-10-04, 07:46

Well. I have decided to buy iPod Color 60gb. Im going to receive it in 1 week or so. (420 dollars) -i dont live in the USA-. Thanks for your help guys
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-10-04, 08:47

Now I feel a little bit guilty for saying to go with the expen$ive stuff.. lol
Kusakun

2005-10-04, 10:16

Well... i dont see it as an EXPENSIVE STUFF. I see it like i have three times the capacity for 90 more bucks. Actually i would prefer to wait a little bit for the new one... but this one is a good deal -i guess-
Kusakun

2005-10-05, 05:41

Well i cancelled my order for a couple of days to wait and see if there is going to be a new ipod next week. I apple doesnt show the 5th gen i will reorder for the ipod color.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-10-05, 06:14

good move