Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Dammit, I bought a power book on sept the 22

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Dammit, I bought a power book on sept the 22
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
stits

2005-10-08, 06:52

and I find out on the 6th the very day I can return it that the next week they're upgrading them. This was my first mac purchase ever and I love it but I had no clue that apple doesn't do upgrades over time like dell but in leaps. WTF?!?!?!? Should I just keep it or go in after Wednesday and raise hell? I really feel kinda cheated that this is how apple operates with a 14 days return policy while their 3rd party resellers have 30 day ones.
euain

2005-10-08, 07:06

It is kind of fustrating granted - but you did get the computer you ordered. Apple haven't deceived you or sent you old stock.

You must have made a decision at some point that the PB you ordered was worth the money Apple wanted. I don't see on what basis you can "raise hell". You've still got a great laptop that should do all you ask of it for a few years yet.

Euain
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-10-08, 07:09

Well first I don't think it is official that the PB's are being upgraded. Second, if it is that big of an issue to you then you could eBay your current one and buy the most up-to-date model should there be one.

I don't think Apple would take your old book and exchange it for a new model, but you could always call and try. I will say raising hell won't get you any further along. In most cases it stops all negotiations dead in their tracks.

Welcome to the nature of technology, as soon as you buy something it is already three generations too old.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
stits

2005-10-08, 07:16

Don't be such tools. This is my first mac. I thought apple was like dell as "gasp" upgraded their model like constantly. Obviously that's not the case. While nearly all of their 3rd party vendors have 30 day return policies apple has this 14 day policy...WTF!?!?!?!? I even asked the sales rep at the apple store here in vegas if they were coming out with new ones and he said not till February at the earliest......I'm very fucking upset over this. Frankly it makes me think that while apple makes great software and "okay" hardware they have shit for customer service.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-10-08, 07:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by stits
Don't be such tools.
Would than mean helpful, like a mechanics tool would be? Strong and able?
Quote:
I even asked the sales rep at the apple store here in vegas if they were coming out with new ones and he said not till February at the earliest..
Sales reps aren't told when new updates are coming out. Heck, fact is none of us know when the update will happen. I can promise you this though, everything will be updated or discontinued. There did that help you?

Once again, why freak out before it is official? Then again, why freak out after that? Did you get what YOU paid for? Don't bash a company because you aren't happy about your choice in timing to purchase. Quit being a victim in life and just enjoy your life. You got an AWESOME laptop as it is, enjoy it. If your that miserable of a person, sell it and get a Dell.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
stits

2005-10-08, 07:47

No, I frankly feel cheated. If they come out with some earth shattering changes it's going on ebay and I'm going back to using a dell with slackware.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-10-08, 07:53

Quote:
No, I frankly feel cheated. If they come out with some earth shattering changes it's going on ebay and I'm going back to using a dell with slackware.
Wow, so one sales persons ignorance is going to cause you to go back to Dell? No one cheated you, that's the point. Why not look at what you have now instead of what you might have had if you waited.

stits

2005-10-08, 08:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472
Wow, so one sales persons ignorance is going to cause you to go back to Dell? No one cheated you, that's the point. Why not look at what you have now instead of what you might have had if you waited.
An apple store employees ignorance/lies. Yeah if had waited I'd still be using my 9300 and slackware. Great OS oay hardware but what uniformed sales reps. If he would have said I don't know. I would not be pissed as all frankly. I bought this because he said not for at least anought 6 months.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-10-08, 08:17

Well then if nothing else use this to learn to do your own research and not listen to the sales people. Some know what they are talking about, others, are just trying to make a buck. And still, I'm not even sure the was talk about PB's getting updated when you got yours.

Well I hope you cool down over this and just enjoy what you have. Life will move on and this won't be the last time you buy something just before it updates to a newer model.

Last edited by turtle : 2005-10-08 at 09:27.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-10-08, 08:45

Lucky for you, this upgrade (if it occurs) sounds to be a marginal one at best. They aren't doing much based on what I've read so far, so even if it happens it probably won't be the type of major upgrade that will likely occur much later with the move to Intel.

Apple is extremely secretive about their upgrades, so sales reps are effectively kept in the dark also. Anything you hear from them is rumors and guesses, just like everyone else.
faramirtook
A for effort.

2005-10-08, 09:07

If the powerbook gets bumped 150 MHz, it'll be no big deal. Even if they add DDR2 memory, unless you're using really memory-intensive and cpu-intensive apps, you won't notice a difference.

There won't be any radical changes for 6 months or so, when the Intel transition starts. They're not going to to put a lot of effort into something that's going to be EOL'd in 6-12 months.

And everything will be universal binary by then, so your Powerbook won't be obsolete for a good 5 years or so, because mostly everything will be compiled for PowerPC and for Intel.

Lighten up.

Ale, man, ale's the stuff to drink
For fellows whom it hurts to think
iDorf

2005-10-08, 10:10

Geeee, I used to like my Key Lime iBook 'till I read this post. By "rights" I guess I'd be better off with a new Dell too!!!

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quagmire
meh

2005-10-08, 10:27

From the sounds of the update details, is that the only things that are changing is the type of ram and model of the CPU. Rumor's say DDR2 will go into the new Powerbooks and the PowerPC 7447A will get replaced by the PowerPC 7448. Which the speed difference between them is slim. The FSB goes to 200 Mhz, and the clockspeed to 1.7-1.8 Ghz. So nothing huge really. What Powerbook did you get though? Other rumors say the 17" might go HD due to the Manual saying the resolution was HD capable( don't remember the resolution though) back in February. Once again though these are all rumors. The sales rep probably only told you what he believed. Maybe he thought the next Powerbook was going to go Intel then. So suck it up and enjoy your Powerbook. Apple is so secretive, rumors can be wrong. The last time the Powerbook was updated was in January. So it is due.

giggity
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-10-08, 11:01

stits, the sales reps at Apple find out the same day the rest of us do. Seriously. Nobody lied to you, nobody deceived you. They guess at when the next round will come out the same as everyone else. The guesses running around the net regarding the PowerBook *until this week* have all said January at the earliest. So y'know, the rep gave you the same info floating around the net. That's all.

And on that note: any news that the PowerBook is coming out next Wed is a GUESS. NOBODY KNOWS. Get used to it, this is how Apple works - in secrecy, even from their own employees that don't need to know.

So: a) The PowerBook may or may not come out on Wed. NOBODY KNOWS.
b) The Apple employees in the sales chain don't know any more than we do. NOBODY LIED.
c) If you had assumptions going into this that contradict the above, then that's your issue, not Apple's.

Relax. Wait and see what happens Wed before you get your panties in a bunch.

Last edited by Kickaha : 2005-10-08 at 11:30.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-10-08, 11:45

If you didn't do enough of your own research to even find out that Apple tends to upgrade their computers by "leaps" before dropping a couple grand, you sort of deserve what you get.

It's really your own fault for not being an informed consumer. Lesson learned, I hope (even if there is no update).

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-10-08, 11:53

Even looking around this site briefly I think you'll see that everyone says, get a computer when you need it. You were probably happy with your purchase when you bought it, why shouldn't you be now? I agree it does kinda suck, but it doesn't make your computer any less awesome.

1)Why didn't you buy from a reseller?
2)You'd still be pissed if they updated them 31 days after.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-10-08, 12:24

minimal research could have prevented this...
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2005-10-08, 12:41

Well to be fair to stits, the big red "Don't Buy!" is new, but the days since last upgrade is pretty telling.

Of course, with the migration to Intel in the future, everyone's usual guidelines are in question, so... *shrug* I expected Jan.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-10-08, 15:38

Quote:
Don't be such tools. This is my first mac. I thought apple was like dell as "gasp" upgraded their model like constantly. Obviously that's not the case. While nearly all of their 3rd party vendors have 30 day return policies apple has this 14 day policy...WTF!?!?!?!? I even asked the sales rep at the apple store here in vegas if they were coming out with new ones and he said not till February at the earliest......I'm very fucking upset over this. Frankly it makes me think that while apple makes great software and "okay" hardware they have shit for customer service.
You're not likely to get much sympathy with that approach. With minimal research you could have found out what the speculation is re future upgrades. Good software, OK hardware and sh*t customer service ? - try world-beating hardware / software and customer service second to none - http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...585583,00.html .

As it is, you got what you paid for - you have one of the best laptops imaginable - as good on 12 October as it was the day you bought it. In your place I'd thank my lucky stars I have a great PowerBook and I would just enjoy the brave new world.

And if that makes you want to revert to Dell, then each to his own .......
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2005-10-08, 16:24

Ok well one thing I don't quite get is the "I feel cheated" comment.

I mean, you clearly NEEDED a power book on September the 22nd.
And Apple sold you a power book on that date.

So how do you feel cheated?

If you did not really /need/ to buy it on that date, and could have waited till the next revision (noting that the revision could come at any time, from a few days, to a few months)... then how is this Apple's fault? If you had truly needed to invest a large amount of cash in a new laptop, that day, then Apple provided you a solution for your needs at a price point you were clearly willing to pay.

no sig, how's that for being a rebel!
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-10-08, 17:05

I would bet the applestore guy was referring to an Intel switch, not just powerbook updates.

there won't be any major changes soon, likely just standard upgrades. The Intel switch will probably be early 2006.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
stits

2005-10-08, 20:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickers
Ok well one thing I don't quite get is the "I feel cheated" comment.

I mean, you clearly NEEDED a power book on September the 22nd.
And Apple sold you a power book on that date.

So how do you feel cheated?

If you did not really /need/ to buy it on that date, and could have waited till the next revision (noting that the revision could come at any time, from a few days, to a few months)... then how is this Apple's fault? If you had truly needed to invest a large amount of cash in a new laptop, that day, then Apple provided you a solution for your needs at a price point you were clearly willing to pay.
I walked into the apple store in Las Vegas and said I wanted to buy a laptop but not if anything new was coming out. The guys name I think was scott I talked with two of them said nothing at all till febuary. I said great I'll take the 15 inch one with a super drive. I paid and was gone...no more than 3 min I kid you not. So yeah when APPLE tells me one thing I feel cheated.

Last edited by stits : 2005-10-08 at 21:15.
holbox

2005-10-08, 20:56

Quote:

Don't wait ! Go back to Dell right away. You'll never be happy.

You got exactly what you asked for - paid the price you were satisfied with and still you're miffed???
Joshua
Hey where the white women at?

Send a message via AIM to Joshua  
2005-10-08, 21:23

I feel for you dude, I really do. But YOUR the one coming off as a tool!! Go to the Apple store with that attitude, you'll get real far. Hey, while your at it, DEMAND to talk to this guy called Steve Jobs, he has tons of pull.

Like I said, I feel for you, but you should know better dude, I've been waiting, and waiting and waiting for my mini, but this damn Special Event came up, so I'm waiting, just in case.

An informed shopper is a happy shopper.

Good luck either way, it's still a great machine (wish i could afford one)

iMac G3
iMac G5
MacBook
stits

2005-10-08, 22:01

You're all fucking insane. They said if a new one comes out no problem they'll swap it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-10-08, 22:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua
...coming off as a tool!!
Ok, am I too old or what? What the heck is being a tool? Last I checked a tool was a helpful instrument used to aid in completion of a task.

¡Damned!

2005-10-08, 22:04

Quote:
You're all fucking insane. They said if a new one comes out no problem they'll swap it.
Joshua

2005-10-08, 22:10

Quote:
Dude!!

I highly doubt any Apple salesperson said that.

Apple has a long reputation for secrecy, one reason (i'm assuming) is that if they announce new products, sales would drop (but i think that applies to any company) so for that reason, I doubt a sales person would actually say that, cause it is in direct violation of Apple policy.

Besides, you should know better. I search the net for weeks/months whatever before making a purchase, especially of that magnitude.

But we're missing the BIGGEST point. What are you pissed about? There have been no updaes. You're pissed about what you think is going to happen.

If they do update them, just return it, pay the restocking fee, and get the one you want.

iMac G3
iMac G5
MacBook
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-10-08, 22:10

Quote:
Boy you have have won our hearts and have earned many brownie points. I think I know the best place for you... um, yep here it is. Maybe you should try there. Then again what about reading something like this, or perhaps this.

Joshua

2005-10-08, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472
Boy you have have won our hearts and have earned many brownie points. I think I know the best place for you... um, yep here it is. Maybe you should try there. Then again what about reading something like this, or perhaps this.

Thats classic!!