User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Imac G5 versus Powerbook G4

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Imac G5 versus Powerbook G4
yubbajr

2005-10-17, 13:12

I'm in the market for a new mac to replace my old imac G4.
I'm trying to decide between the newest Imac G5 and the Powerbook G4.
I will definitely be using the computer for photo editing although not on a professional level.
I feel like I may be better off with the Imac G5 (cheaper, bigger screen) - however, my girlfriend has her heart set on the powerbook.
Portability is not a huge issue - although if I were to get a PB, I would probably take it out of the house every once in a while.
Price obviously is some issue - though not a major one. This is a huge purchase for me either way, and I would like to have the best machine, whatever that costs.
Any thoughts on the pros and cons of these two computers?
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-10-17, 13:19

Well, obviously you want an iMac. Not the Powerbook, I don't see much of a reason to have your g.f. rule your purchasing life.

I really think, at this point in the Apple products life cycle, buying the new iMac would be a better idea. The Powerbooks are simply underpowered, and Apple hasn't taken them seriously for a couple months now. IMO - go with the iMac. Big screen, more power, nice form factor, and if portability isn't necessary it should really be a no brainer.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Wrao
Yarp

2005-10-17, 13:20

The powerbooks are likely to be updated tomorrow, or wednesday. So, you should wait till then before making serious comparisons. That said. I have a 1st rev. Aluminum powerbook g4 and a 2nd rev iMac g5. The iMac blows it out of the water in every sense of the word. Despite that, I still find that I use my Powerbook quite a bit for casual internet use or maybe watching a movie in bed or something.
yubbajr

2005-10-17, 13:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej
Well, obviously you want an iMac. Not the Powerbook, I don't see much of a reason to have your g.f. rule your purchasing life.
I didn't mean to sound whipped - my girlfriend will likely help pay for the new computer (perhaps even splitting it with me) and will be using it on a daily basis (we live together). However, she is stubborn, and even if the Imac was a better choice - if it was not a clear winner - I doubt I would be able to convince her to help me buy anything other than the powerbook. She likes how sleek the pb is and I think is turned off of Imacs because of how slow the one we have is (though it is a rather basic model).
Perhaps I should phrase it like this - is there a clear choice between the imac G5 and the powerbook G4?
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-10-17, 13:44

For about the same price as a 15" PB ($2000) you can get an iMac ($1300) and a 12" iBook ($700 from Apples refurb site -- at bottom right of store.apple.com).
You can kill 2 birds with 1 stone this way.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

2005-10-17, 13:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by yubbajr
She likes how sleek the pb is and I think is turned off of Imacs because of how slow the one we have is (though it is a rather basic model).
Perhaps I should phrase it like this - is there a clear choice between the imac G5 and the powerbook G4?
IMHO, the iBook is a better buy at the moment. The difference between the iBook and PB line is just too narrow, well, other than cost. Now, if the PB is greatly upgraded this week then what I said is nullified.

No clear choice bewteen the iMac and PB. They serve 2 different audiences.
iMac = consumer. like email, office, some music and photos.
PB = Pro. like email, office, video, music, photo.

Unless you really need portability I would go with the iMac. Even though I am not an all-in-one (AIO) fan, I still have to admit that the newly revised iMac is a machine to pay attention to.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-10-17, 13:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretara
iMac = consumer. like email, office, some music and photos.

Except, the iMac is pretty dang powerful. I regularly juggle over 40 tracks in Garageband with plugins, and I've never once truly maxed out the computer's potential. Yes, I have 2 GB of RAM, but still... You can do some serious work on these iMacs.

So while it's 'target' audience might not need it for much more than what you listed, it is definitely capable for a lot more than it.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

2005-10-17, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
Except, the iMac is pretty dang powerful. I regularly juggle over 40 tracks in Garageband with plugins, and I've never once truly maxed out the computer's potential. Yes, I have 2 GB of RAM, but still... You can do some serious work on these iMacs.

So while it's 'target' audience might not need it for much more than what you listed, it is definitely capable for a lot more than it.
Absolutely true. I forgot to write that in and I was in the process of revising my post when I saw your post.

I'll say it again and even amplify. I don't like AIO's, so this is hard for me to say. IMHO, the iMac is the best computer in Apple's lineup...at least until Wednesday.
yubbajr

2005-10-17, 14:40

so this powerbook update is really supposed to happen this week? (wednesday?)
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

2005-10-17, 14:45

Quote:
so this powerbook update is really supposed to happen this week? (wednesday?)
So we are all hoping.
yubbajr

2005-10-18, 08:23

I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow then - just to see if the PBs do get updated. Also - anyone have experience buying apple certified used computers? If the pbs do get updated - is it likely the current ones will end up for sale as certified? And if so - at the current prices (assuming newer models are more expensive) Or do the newer models sell at the current model prices?
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

2005-10-18, 08:25

Quote:
I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow then - just to see if the PBs do get updated. Also - anyone have experience buying apple certified used computers? If the pbs do get updated - is it likely the current ones will end up for sale as certified? And if so - at the current prices (assuming newer models are more expensive) Or do the newer models sell at the current model prices?
The prices are usually discounted by x%. Mostly they are a good deal.
I've bought some Apple certified computers in the past and have never had a problem with one.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2005-10-18, 10:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretara
The prices are usually discounted by x%. Mostly they are a good deal.
I've bought some Apple certified computers in the past and have never had a problem with one.
I'll second that. My mini is a refurb and I've had absolutely no problems with it.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-10-18, 11:19

Travel a lot? Get a notebook. Don't travel much? Get a desktop.

I'm on the road fully 130 days a year; a desktop would be a waste for me.

The iMac + iBook sounds like a good combo, too.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-10-18, 11:26

Buying a laptop G4 as a speed upgrade from a desktop G4 is just a setup for disappointment.

If the speed boost is most important, get the iMac. If portability is more important than speed, get the PowerBook.

But, for the best of both worlds, go with the 17" iMac + iBook.

How unhappy can the GF be if she gets her OWN computer instead of sharing? Plus, she still has access to the iMac for power-hungry tasks.