Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Buying a new iPod...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Buying a new iPod...
arnoct

2005-10-21, 15:18

Hello there

Yesterday I ordered a brand new black iPod with my student discount. As I'm sure you're all aware, it cost me alot :P When my order was processed, I was quite dismayed to find that the estimated ship date was October 31, which as you can tell is a long time away, especially when I spent over than $400 on the product (aside: Canada sucks.) I realize that the iPod is probably in very high demand right now, so I know it won't be shipped within 24 hours--the website says it ships within 5-7 days--but I was wondering if getting the laser engraving was the right thing to do. I opted for it because it was free, of course. However, does laser engraving add a significant amount to order time, or should I just not worry about it and get the iPod when it gets here?

[edit] Also let me say that I've already tried the "look in stores option"--the closest apple store is two hours away and apparantly they're out of stock.

Last edited by arnoct : 2005-10-21 at 15:26.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2005-10-21, 15:27

Many of us don't like the free laser engraving. Personally, my big complaint is the resale value issue. Who wants to buy an iPod with, "To Jessica, my love" engraved on the back?

The engraving probably does mean a delay, though. If I were you, I'd keep checking your local Apple retailers (not just Apple Stores). Get on a waiting list if you can.
arnoct

2005-10-21, 15:30

Heh, alright. Well, I don't plan on selling the iPod, but you're right, laser engraving probably would screw me over like that.

My major issue with going to a non-apple retailer is whether I can get my student discount or not... $35 doesn't sound like a lot of money but it makes a difference.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-21, 15:47

I like laser engraving. I don't plan on selling my iPods - well, ironically, I'm trying to sell my iPod nano right now, but I figured I might, and I didn't get it engraved.

What did you get engraved on it?

And hey - getting the first black iPod on Halloween is pretty cool.
arnoct

2005-10-21, 15:55

Heh, I'm not creative so I just put my name and phone number on it--if it gets lost, at least it has a chance to make it back to me.

And it would be awesome to get it on halloween, although hopefully I get it before that :P (but the estimated ship date is october 31st so I might get it after halloween )
arnoct

2005-10-25, 06:22

Don't mean to double post, but I just thought I should post saying that I ended up cancelling the order from the apple store and bought one at my campus computer store. Does anyone have any idea how long it takes for apple to process refunds? They still haven't put the money back on my cc
JayMtl

2005-10-25, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoct
Don't mean to double post, but I just thought I should post saying that I ended up cancelling the order from the apple store and bought one at my campus computer store. Does anyone have any idea how long it takes for apple to process refunds? They still haven't put the money back on my cc
At one point I did the same thing to an iMac order...anyway, it depends on the credit card company. For example, if an order is cancelled, VISA will automatically reverse a charge exactly one week after the date the original charge was to be placed. If this doesn't happen then you'll need to go through Apple, meaning you'll need to give Apple a kick in the ass, so phone them up and ask them to authorize a charge reversal, which will go through in 1-3 days. I suggest you do this, anyway, just to be sure things are going as you want them to.
arnoct

2005-10-25, 19:52

Alright, I'll call them sometime tomorrow afternoon.