Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

buy a mac mini now or wait?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
buy a mac mini now or wait?
mhuk01

2005-10-28, 06:00

hi,
i just wondered what your thoughs were on this. i've come to the 'sensible' decision of getting a mini rather than an unjustifiable (for me) imac. However, there are still some issues with the mini.
Do you think apple will officially release the new specced up minis before christmas? if they do then what are the chances of them radically changing (ie discontinuing or upping to g5) the mini at the expo in january?
i really don't want to make the wrong decision on this, as i got a monochrome ipod about a week before the colour ones became standard earlier this year. and now there's video! i'm so behind the times now
thanks for your thoughts,
martin
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2005-10-28, 10:10

I'd venture to guess the official change to the specs might just be updated quietly on the website. Not enough to warrant a big announcement.

I would really welcome a G5 mini in January myself. But somehow I doubt this will happen so soon. Regardless, this mini would sell big time especially if the price points remained roughly the same. I think many want the power of a single G5 processor but without the bulk of an iMac or even an older single processor PowerMac 1.8.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-10-28, 10:47

G5 in the mini will not happen any time soon, if ever. You can buy now safe in the knowledge that it won't be updated soon. I don't think it'll be discontinued, but why does that matter anyway?

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2005-10-28, 13:24

I'd go for it. 1.5Ghz, with 64MB VRAM (sadly no Core Image support) which is shipping with the Mini is fine for most tasks, if your already looking at the mini you know that much.
switchr92

Send a message via AIM to switchr92  
2005-10-28, 17:06

While I would love a G5 mini more than you guys know, they wouldn't sell it for two large reasons:
(1) They still can't get a G5 into a powerbook. People were surprised enough when they let there consumer desktop (iMac) overpower there pro laptop line (Powerbook) by taking it to G5. They would never Let there entry-level line (mini) (500-700) have a faster processor than there pro laptop line (1500-2500).
(2) It is widely believed that the mini will be one of apples first intel macs, and apple would waste R&D money for a G5 mini that would last 1, maybe 2 revisions.
Guido

2005-11-08, 06:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuk01
hi,
i just wondered what your thoughs were on this. i've come to the 'sensible' decision of getting a mini rather than an unjustifiable (for me) imac. However, there are still some issues with the mini.
Do you think apple will officially release the new specced up minis before christmas? if they do then what are the chances of them radically changing (ie discontinuing or upping to g5) the mini at the expo in january?
i really don't want to make the wrong decision on this, as i got a monochrome ipod about a week before the colour ones became standard earlier this year. and now there's video! i'm so behind the times now
thanks for your thoughts,
martin
I, for one, am holding off until an official announcement confirms exactly what specs I can expect for my money. I've got a feeling the official release will be for specs that exceed those of these new Minis anyway - why ejaculate prematurely and pretend to come later?

As for G5 I'll second others who say no chance, same for likelihood of discontinuation too, but if there's no official release made before December then figure there must be something big coming our way at the Jan expo.

I think you're absolutely right, at this particular juncture, to be really not wanting to make the wrong decision. I remember reading somewhere someone - I don't remember who - saying something along the lines of impatience being our greatest sin.

Ultimately then, I'm going to fly in the face of those who always say stuff like, "If you need it, buy it now."

Instead, I'll try to exercise some patience.