Suggestions for Cool Stuff to buy

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Suggestions for Cool Stuff to buy
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2005-10-29, 14:34

I've been saving up all semester and working. Now I have a good amount of money so I want to reward myself by buying something cool that costs around 200, 300 at most. I looked around and somehow there weren't that many things that seemed all that desirable. Maybe I'm not looking at the right places.

So here's a thread for people to recommend cool stuff to buy.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2005-10-29, 14:57

what about a 30gig iPod video?
pilot1129

Send a message via AIM to pilot1129  
2005-10-29, 17:42

how about a nifty pair of oakleys?
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-10-29, 19:42

Do you run? A good pair of runners and some running gear - your feet will thank you.

Do you ride? Something for you bike - upgrade the brakes to disc perhaps.

Surely there is a cool photography accessory out there somewhere.

A Froogle of cool stuff between $200 and $300 says: click me

Or - if you really don't need anything - put that money in an investment fund (or stocks of your choice) add to it each month (but don't withdraw) and come back to look at it in seven years. Now, that's cool!
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-10-29, 19:43

Powerball Gyroscope: http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/6a4b/

LED clock: http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/lights/59e0/

Uber Orbs: http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/toys/6ef6/

Rude Stamps: http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/toys/6a73/

You ask me for a hamburger.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-10-29, 19:51

Also, what kinda "cool stuff" do you like?

It's hard to make recommendations unless we know what tickles your fancy... perhaps you could list your favorite things that you already own?

You ask me for a hamburger.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-10-29, 21:33

Or just save the money for later when you know what you want to get. Added benefit: you'll have a few more bucks saved up in the process.
flail

2005-10-29, 23:14

Check out woot.com once a day. They have a different deal every 24 hours, and it's usually pretty cool stuff
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2005-10-30, 01:01

I guess I like anything that's novel and awesome, and not too useless.

In the past, stuff I bought entertained me, like a Nikon D70, iPod, cool speakers, a nice road bike.

Now...I want to be entertained again with something novel.

Even the iPod is not that exciting. So much so that I got bored with the iPod Nano and returned it after a week. I'm not sure the current 30gig iPod is that amazing. There's always some perk that keeps me from enjoying the iPods offered to the full extent. I've owned every generation of iPod since the 2nd generation and ended up selling all but the shuffle.

I've always wanted a sublaptop but there aren't any that are very cheap.

But I think this could be a cool thread if people just recommended cool things they like to each other.

What would you guys want to buy if you had 300 lying around?
HezMah19
Formerly "jmahe19"

Send a message via AIM to HezMah19  
2005-10-30, 05:27

USD$300 = AUD$399

Leaving me $50 short for a new iPod
...Yea, I would suck up to my parents for the extra 50
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-10-30, 06:08

Jeez steve - if you're so bored by what's out there and are forced to lament how even the iPod doesn't excite you anymore I recommend an either or solution:

Either - blow it on hookers, drugs and alcohol to brighten yourself up (thanks to Bender for the inpsiration there)

Or - invest it, watch it grow and enjoy the "entertaining" aspect of having a bigger budget to play with later on.

Have you even checked out froogle, woot.com or thinkgeek.com like the above posts suggested?
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-10-30, 06:32

atomicbartbeans

Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-10-30, 06:45

Normally, I'd suggest spending on instruction in a hobby or sport, whether new or old, useful or useless. Those things stay with you always.

If it has to be gear... hmm. Do you have a good flashlight? Do you know how good pocketable lights are nowadays? If not, check out a good light like Inova X5T or T2 at the store. You might be surprised what $40 buys these days.

Or how about something like an article of clothing that has previously felt too costly, but would be really cool? If you combine the $300-$400 "self reward" and what you'd be willing to spend on a "generic" item, you probably get something that lasts long and is worth it.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2005-10-30, 10:44

Steve, you're over-stimulated, your ennui has overcome you.
Go to Vegas.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-30, 15:17

Three letters: PSP.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-10-30, 17:14

For $280, I have some lovely Florida real estate you might like... comes with a bridge.
If that's not exotic enough for you, I could hook you up with some deeds on the Moon.

Plus, you'd have $20 left for the aforementioned booze, drugs, and hookers.
SKMDC

2005-10-30, 17:52

why don't you do something nice for someone in need? or for your folks.
toys for your soul.

Or I might reccommend NATURE CONSERVANCY They take your dough and buy endangered land so evil doers can't turn it into parking lots or drill for oil on it.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
wyman

2005-10-30, 20:55

SKMDC has bingo. I guarantee that if you took the money and bought something really nice for your parents - something with a lot of thought behind it , you would gain far more satisfaction than if you spent it on something that you obviously do not need, or even want.

In fact, if you did take that approach, I bet that when you are your parents' current age, you would still look back fondly on what you did for them.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-10-30, 23:33

PSP suggestion aside, I agree with the idea that maybe you should think about getting a gift for your folks or for people in need. I mean, many people aren't "well off" enough to ever have to ask people on a message board what they should get with $300 that they don't have any other use for.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2005-10-31, 02:46

psp is cool but if you download allot of movies via torrents i would like to suggest an xbox. u could load Xbox Media Center on it and watch the movies in your living room on your tv.

another thing i would recommend is a tivo or a nice digital camera. Maybe if you really like photography you could get a nice second hand classic 35mm camera like a Nikon FE or something.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-10-31, 03:32

I don't know what the local rate is where you are but I reckon 200 - 300 dollars should cover a nice bag of stimulents, a good bottle of spirits, a bong and some pukka weed...

Maybe you'll even have change for decent Video and a Pizza!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2005-10-31, 06:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegong
I guess I like anything that's novel and awesome, and not too useless.

In the past, stuff I bought entertained me, like a Nikon D70, iPod, cool speakers, a nice road bike.

Now...I want to be entertained again with something novel.

Even the iPod is not that exciting. So much so that I got bored with the iPod Nano and returned it after a week. I'm not sure the current 30gig iPod is that amazing. There's always some perk that keeps me from enjoying the iPods offered to the full extent. I've owned every generation of iPod since the 2nd generation and ended up selling all but the shuffle.

I've always wanted a sublaptop but there aren't any that are very cheap.

But I think this could be a cool thread if people just recommended cool things they like to each other.

What would you guys want to buy if you had 300 lying around?
Wow, seems to me what you really need to do is save up your cash for a little and get something closer to the $1000 range. Then again, try going minimalist there for a little bit. You might appreciate what you have a little more too. Then the value of things might last to you.

Louis L'Amour, β€œTo make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
JayMtl

2005-10-31, 10:55

You know, Christmas is coming up.
thuh Freak
Finally broke the seal

2005-10-31, 11:12

ignore everyone else in the thread. they are all liars, cheats and criminals. i wouldn't be surprised if their mothers wear combat boots.

give me your money. all of it. not just this pithy 300. i desperately need all of your money (and a sizeable portion of any other material wealth you possess) to accomplish my many nefarious goals. don't worry. despite my evil and wicked intentions, my goals will come to fruition. there is no escape. you might as well just fork over the cash now.

transmission ended
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2005-10-31, 11:12

Can anyone please direct me to a discreet and reliable supplier of um, certain radioactive materials that has uhhh, far reaching potential? Thankyouverymuch.
Mikester

2005-10-31, 11:14

Christ guys, get off his back. So he's got $300 and wants to spend it? So what? And he's bored of his Nano - that's no crime.

None of you know what he might already spend on charitable causes, or contribute in other ways, or spend on his family, so why do you feel you can judge him? If someone came on this site and said, "yeah, I just spent a couple of thousand bucks on a new G5", you'd say "well done, enjoy it", not tell him he could have spent the money better on someone else. So why make comments on this guy just because he's saved up a bit of money and wants to buy something cool?

Sometimes I think there's a whole lot of hate going on here.

"Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further" - The Great Gatsby
SKMDC

2005-10-31, 11:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester
Christ guys, get off his back. So he's got $300 and wants to spend it? So what? And he's bored of his Nano - that's no crime.

None of you know what he might already spend on charitable causes, or contribute in other ways, or spend on his family, so why do you feel you can judge him? If someone came on this site and said, "yeah, I just spent a couple of thousand bucks on a new G5", you'd say "well done, enjoy it", not tell him he could have spent the money better on someone else. So why make comments on this guy just because he's saved up a bit of money and wants to buy something cool?

Sometimes I think there's a whole lot of hate going on here.
sorry sport, I know him, I wasn't judging him I was giving him suggestions.
What, by the way, is your suggestion?
Linus van Pelt

2005-10-31, 13:28

I want to get some new backpacking gear very badly. Perhaps you could start to get some backpacking stuff and spend a little time outdoors, it might do us all some good. Other than that i would just be saving it for a rainy day, or a broken down car, which can occur on a rainy day and really sucks.
chung123

2005-10-31, 13:31

Here is my suggestion to buy[though I've never used this particular product before]

http://www.jr.com/JRSectionView.proc...W.campaignname

It is a "Dolby Headphone" device.

I have a Lake Technology Dolby Headphone processor which cost almost nine hundred bucks...but this one is only $125.

Plug this thing to your DVD player and watch movies late at night in full 5.1 surround sound.

Dolby Headphone uses all kinds of sophisticated technology to correctly place the surround soundfield using a regular pair of headphones...pretty nifty stuff.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2005-10-31, 13:44

$900 on headphones?!?!?! fuck that