Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

FYI: PowerBook G4 15" RAM, Bus Slewing, Crucial

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
FYI: PowerBook G4 15" RAM, Bus Slewing, Crucial
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-11-06, 07:26

I am planning to buy a 1GB RAM stick for my Powerbook. And so of course I do my research...

Quote:
Buying RAM from Apple would be pretty silly. Sticks of RAM don't take on magical properties just because Apple sells it, but they do magically double in price.

As for where to get it in the UK: I bought it from Crucial and had no problems. However, be aware that although Crucial makes high-quality memory, their UK website employs dirty tricks to encourage Apple customers to pay more than they should. Try this: go to Crucial's UK website and use their Memory Adviser Tool to show you the options available for the 1.2 GHz G4 iBook (my computer). The 512 MB module costs £60.22 (excluding VAT). Now clear your cookies and manually navigate to the DDR 200-pin SODIMM choices. You will see that the EXACT SAME module now costs a much more reasonable £35.58.
Link (Sorry, no offence DG )

This is a common perception that is true in most cases. But not in others. If you have one of three models of Aluminium PowerBook G4 15", a
Code:
Crucial DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 128Meg x 64
RAM stick is not the same as a
Code:
Crucial DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 128Meg x 64 that is Guaranteed Compatible
The first is available for £95.97 (via eBuyer - limited availability only). This module will work in all PowerBook G4 Aluminum Models (12in, 15in, & 17in) EXCEPT the Bus Slewing models. The second is available for £130.41. Let me explain:

(Courtesy RamJet)

This Apple note officially confirms the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple
As of this writing, the following is a list of the DDR SDRAM Component ICs used in the DIMMs that ship with PowerBooks and iBooks that use Memory bus slewing. (This is subject to change at any time.)

Samsung - K4H560838E, Hynix - HY5DU121622AT, Micron - MT46V16M16
Scott Wedge wrote this all at the Apple Discussion Forums: http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...qR.1@.68bb91d1

bouncy bouncy
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-11-06, 13:22

*uck! I'm so tired of this ram enigma... where is my model number, I'm nearly 100% sure I've got a the Bus Slewing model, which explains everything... nearly everything as to why I've been having such bad ram problems.

Okay so what ram am I looking for if I've got a Bus Slewing model?

I'm about to read in the documentation you provided, but wanted to post in case you knew answer off hand.

EDIT: okay I read the apple disc. forum, thanks for the info SoS, I gave up on ram a couple months ago - exactly due to this issue, its nice to have someone shed some light on this for me. Not even the Apple techs could tell me what was going on...

I'm still not sure where to check model number...

User formally known as Sh0eWax

Last edited by Maciej : 2005-11-06 at 13:29.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-11-06, 15:31

Erm... I'm not sure where in Mac OS X, or physically on your computer you can find the model number of your PowerBook. But the model number should be on your original shipping box (in the unlikely event that you still have it). I suppose, then, that it'll also be on your receipt. Alternatively, you could just search Amazon with the specs of your machine, and see what model number appears in brackets next to the description. Sorry—I can't do much better than this.

I think that Bus Slewing is basically restricted to the first gen 15" and 17" PowerBooks. I stand to be corrected, though.

bouncy bouncy
nmkramer

2005-11-06, 15:49

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the model number exists on a sticker that is placed under the Powerbook's battery. You have to take out the battery to see it. I'd love to confirm this for you, but I am using my computer to type this right now and taking out the battery would not be smart.

I don't wanna go on a rant here but America's foreign policy makes about as much sense as Beowolf having sex with Robert Fulton at the first battle of Antetum. I mean when a neo-conservative defenstrates it's like Raskalnakov filibuster dioxymonohydrostinate.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-11-06, 20:46

Nope battery doesn't do it, and yes I do have the box - I'll go whip it out sometime before I go back to school. You brought this up at a really good time sos.

Thanks.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-11-07, 03:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmkramer
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the model number exists on a sticker that is placed under the Powerbook's battery.
That'll be the serial number.

No probs Maciej. But make sure you read that Ramjet piece properly. (I didn't until just now). It seems that you only need to take account of Bus Slewing when you want to buy a 1GB stick, because "the Bus Slewing models can use the standard 256MB and 512MB modules".

I've just bought a 1GB 'Guaranteed Compatible' stick. It cost me £35 ($60) more than a standard stick. Waaaah!

bouncy bouncy
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-11-07, 11:20

Yeah, I've only been interested in 1g sticks, thanks for the heads up though!
starcat102

2006-01-30, 20:34

The Samsung part# for 1GB SO-DIMMs for the bus slewing powerbook models is M470L2923DV0-CB3. This is DDR3333 DIMM which comprises of 16 memory components Samsung K4H510838 and in fact, the Ramjet module is exactly the same. Just if anyone wants to order that Samsung part directly and maybe cheaper.

Here is a link with the memory module:
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semi...=cb3 &x=0&y=0
and here is a link with the memory component (16x, 8x each side):
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Semi...cd1=&x=0& y=0

Cheers,
Bob.
starcat102

2006-02-15, 14:17

I have tried two new 1GB memory modules with my bus slewing Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz and they both work great. A quick test would be to start all huge programs you have, run memtest in a terminal window and switching between battery and AC power by pluging and unpluging the power jack (open up the energy saver window to confirm switch between both profiles).

Those 1GB memory SO-DIMMs are:

Kingston KTA-PBG4333/1G
they are good for all iBook and Powerbook G4 models 1-1.67Ghz models which use DDR memory
(the 1.67Ghz PB 17" uses DDR and not DDR2).

Also confirming that Apple's original 1GB SO-DIMM for the bus slewing models, Apple's p/n M9284G/A is actually a Samsung M470L2923BN0-CB3, see a picture of it here:
http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg....1883_148261203

Cheers,
Bob.