User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

It's January, 2007: Are you happier with Intel or PowerPC Powermac?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
It's January, 2007: Are you happier with Intel or PowerPC Powermac?
bigglesworth

2005-11-08, 13:30

I am in the market for a powermac during the next year, but I'm in no particular rush to buy. I look at the new dual core powermacs and like what they offer: fast chips, bus speeds, graphics options, ram expansion, connectivity, etc. It's the party line that an x86 Powermac will be able to run all my current software without too much of a performance hit, but my gut tells me that the Power architechture is a superior platform. Would I be crazy to want a current powermac so it could hold me over through the first two years of transistion? Should I jump on the x86 Powermac when it has been around long enough for others to find the bugs.

I understand that the x86 switch makes a ton of sense if your buisiness depends on the availability of fast notebooks, but I wonder if the current PMs will be severely missed when they are gone (a la the old slant-6 engine).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-11-08, 13:35

Too many variables, and such a subjective thing.

One guy's "fast" is another's "sluggish". No telling when Adobe and all the others will have their stuff native. Entire companies - with lots invested in PPC Macs and software can't be expected to just up and switch overnight either. Always Rev. A (and B) glitches, woes and hang-ups to consider...lately Apple has turned that into an art.

I don't know. Get a nice, broken in, solid and reliable PPC Mac, and ride it out the next 2-3 years, and hop on a Rev. B or C Conroe Power Mac in 2008 or so? If having top performance, reliability, using all your current software natively, etc. is a top priority, that's probably the path.

I'm waiting (and curious) to see how all these iBook and PowerBook rumors hash out in the coming 3-6 months, and go from there. In the meantime, I've got a reliable, trusty two-year-old 15" PowerBook that works perfectly (and will for another year or two, if nothing in 2006 particularly grabs me).

Go with your gut, because it'll know - and guide you better - than any anonymous schmo here.

Ooooh, look at my post count...4,444! Cool.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2005-11-08 at 13:42.
Stevuh

Send a message via AIM to Stevuh  
2005-11-08, 15:04

Have you ever been told to not buy a brand new car model, the first year it is ever out? Pretty sound advise if you can follow it. Chances are that if you wait a year or two, you will avoid alot of recalls that may occur due to unnoticed design flaws. This goes for any new product. I got a 15" ALbook as soon as it was release and i had those peskey little white dots, and i think my battery is failing even though it isn't in the recall list. Any thing wrong due to a design flaw should be fixed free of charge (idealy) but possibly won't happen.

I'd tend to wait a bit on a Mactel for myself. That may just be me though.

"History will be kind to me because i intend to write it" -- Winston Churchill

I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter. -- Winston Churchill
Kyros

2005-11-08, 17:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevuh
Have you ever been told to not buy a brand new car model, the first year it is ever out? Pretty sound advise if you can follow it. Chances are that if you wait a year or two, you will avoid alot of recalls that may occur due to unnoticed design flaws. This goes for any new product. I got a 15" ALbook as soon as it was release and i had those peskey little white dots, and i think my battery is failing even though it isn't in the recall list. Any thing wrong due to a design flaw should be fixed free of charge (idealy) but possibly won't happen.

I'd tend to wait a bit on a Mactel for myself. That may just be me though.
Just so you know, if your battery lasted fine until now, you should consider yourself lucky, no battery will last that long on average, although my girlfriend's wallstreet has an original battery with 3.5 hours left on it .
bigglesworth

2005-11-10, 10:17

The only other relevant question is whether there will be another G5 revision before Intel rev.1. That would be a good opportunity to pick up a current unit on the cheap or get something even quicker. I'm not sure what else they can put in the powermac by the first half of '06 ()beyond processor updates); maybe next generation burners but that's one of those things you can tack on later at your own discression.