User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

compusa question

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
compusa question
dyan

2005-11-13, 07:19

Hi to everyone on the board. I've been visiting here for sometime to find out more about apple products. And you guys seem really friendly. More friendly than some of the boards i've visited before. So thanks to anyone that can help me out.

I'm looking to buy a 12" powerbook but i'm hesitant for several reasons.There is no apple store in my town and the nearest one is 2 hours away (so it's not convenient) and the only store in town that carries apple computers is the local CompUsa store. So i was wondering if anyone on the board has perchased their apple products from one and if they had any troubles? Concerning repairs or just buying from them in general. I really don't want to have to shop there because the service sucks and second i don't feel comfortable with the idea of having to take my laptop there if it needs repairs (i think i'd rather have an apple genius service the laptop since i've heard only good things). I'm only considering buying from there is because i've never felt comfortable ordering anything online.

And if anyone can add anymore info about the 12" powerbook (or tiger for that matter) that i might have missed that would be great. The last time i used a mac was in 5th grade and this was a classroom computer so i've always used windows based pcs at home.

I'm looking to switch because of the features on tiger. Spotlight appealed to me among other things and the fact that there are no viruses is another thing.(i still find that very hard to believe but i can't wait to see for myself)

i'm not in a rust to buy just yet. Since i'm kind of disappointed that apple didn't update the 12" powerbook like they did with the 15" and 17". so I don't know if this is a good sign or a bad sign. for a while i was considering the ibook but i wasn't to thrilled with the plastic covering. I'd like to have something sturdier. and i'd like to have something with a little more power anyway.

Oh and if you can recommend a book/guide for the tiger os that would be great. i feel like i'll be a little lost using this system since i've been using windows for an eternity.

I'm sorry if this post is very long but i'd rather ask questions before buying rather than after.

Thanks again to anyone for reading and posting back.

dyan
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-11-13, 08:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyan
And if anyone can add anymore info about the 12" powerbook (or tiger for that matter) that i might have missed that would be great. The last time i used a mac was in 5th grade and this was a classroom computer so i've always used windows based pcs at home.

I'm looking to switch because of the features on tiger. Spotlight appealed to me among other things and the fact that there are no viruses is another thing.(i still find that very hard to believe but i can't wait to see for myself)
How can you see the absence of something though?
Quote:
i'm not in a rust to buy just yet. Since i'm kind of disappointed that apple didn't update the 12" powerbook like they did with the 15" and 17". so I don't know if this is a good sign or a bad sign. for a while i was considering the ibook but i wasn't to thrilled with the plastic covering. I'd like to have something sturdier. and i'd like to have something with a little more power anyway.
Like you mention, the 12" Powerbook's updates have been lagging for a while now. I don't think there is a reason to buy the 12" PB unless you get a very good deal, positively need an internal DVD burner (external ones are cheap) or need screen spanning and do not wish to go with an unsupported hack.

There isn't going to be a noticeable power difference - the iBook even has a faster graphics chip. And the iBook is possibly more durable than the Powerbook. It's not a cheap laptop by any means. I switched from a 15" PB (a genuinely more powerful and better featured machine) to a 12" iBook and am happy with it.
Quote:
Oh and if you can recommend a book/guide for the tiger os that would be great. i feel like i'll be a little lost using this system since i've been using windows for an eternity.
Mac OS X, The Missing Manual (Tiger edition).
Quote:
I'm sorry if this post is very long but i'd rather ask questions before buying rather than after.
Most prudent.
miniuser

2005-11-13, 08:49

Hey Dyan, welcome to the group. I used to go to CompUsa when I still had a pc. I really haven't been back since switching to my mac a few mons ago. I'm not totally sure about their Apple service but I THINK that they don't fix anythiing by Apple. I THINK they just send it out to Apple for repairs. Kinda like a middle man, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Maybe someone else on here knows for sure. As far as a good book for the Tiger OS, try looking at the Missing Manual Series by David Pogue. He has a ton of books out, and he writes in a manner that is easy to follow and it makes sense. Make sure you get the book for Tiger, cause he has books for each version, for panther, jaguar and so on.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-11-13, 08:51

But the aluminum 12" PowerBook is teh Sexiest Laptop Evar™.

If I could've afforded it, I would've gladly paid the extra $500 for that aluminum housing.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-11-13, 08:54

Welcome to AN dyan.

First things first: wait 'til MacWorld San Francisco at the beginning of January (2006, and every year) before you buy anything. New MacIntel systems are rumoured to be arriving then.

I've never bought a book on operating systems (trial and error, baby!), but many people say great things about David Pogue's Missing Manual series. (I assume that you've already mined Apple's Mac OSX page for info...?)

For the considered views of a hardcore Windows user, see Anand's article from way back when.

There's nothing wrong with buying online—it'd be a good idea to get used to it (it's the future baby!). And Apple isn't perfect when it comes to customer care, though with the free in-store Genius Bar service, definitely better than most.

Bear in mind that retailers of Apple products, other than Apple, can sometimes offer better warranty deals. In the UK, John Lewis offers a standard 2-year warranty, over and above Apple's 1-year version. Purchases made with some major credit cards also have purchase protection.

One other thing to think about: Are you eligible for education discounts—there are two levels? (There is also a once-in-a-lifetime Apple Developer Connection Student discount.)

Once you've bought your new Mac, whisk yourself off to our FAQs page for some excellent tips and tricks.

Oh, and there really are no viruses for Mac OSX (touch wood...).

p.s. baby!

bouncy bouncy
dyan

2005-11-13, 13:36

Hi again, thanks for all the info guys.

I'm going to Barnes & Noble later to pick up a copy of the Missing Manual. After seeing that tidbit on going from a PB to an ibook got me thinking again about what to buy but i can't resist the aluminum casing and still then i don't like being broke either . And thanks for the article SofS, i found it informative and reasuring that tiger isn't difficult to get use to. Is it really that much of a bitch not being able to right click? How in the hell do you right click on a mac anyway?

Thanks again guys. god i love this board
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-11-13, 13:44

Quote:
Is it really that much of a bitch not being able to right click?
Nope. Applications for Mac OS X are generally designed so functionality isn't hidden away in contextual menus. This is one of the things I hate most about Windows, that contextual menus are often overloaded and contain functions found nowhere else.

Quote:
How in the hell do you right click on a mac anyway?
If you have a two-button mouse, use the right button. Any USB mouse should work. Otherwise, control-click.

More obligatory reading:

Apple's Mac 101
Apple's Switch 101

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Ichiban_jay

Send a message via AIM to Ichiban_jay  
2005-11-13, 14:22

I do love my 12" powerbook as well. But the one thing that has always bothered me is how warm it gets doing nothing. It doesn't seem to happen as bad in the ibooks and the larger powerbooks.

At this point it looks almost as if Apple is abandoning the 12" powerbooks.
k squared

2005-11-13, 15:38

The 12" PB is a great little laptop, but the fan comes on just surfing the net. If I had to buy one over again, I would get a 12" iBook and install a faster HD.
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-11-13, 17:42

Quote:
Is it really that much of a bitch not being able to right click? How in the hell do you right click on a mac anyway?
If you ever want to right click (as Brad said, it's virtually never a "need"), although it seems impossible on a laptop, using modifier keys is really easy. Command-click, option-click, shift-click, option-shift-drag, etc etc.

As you learn your way around the OS, you'll eventually discover things like this. None of them are absent from the regular menus, but they do make work quicker.
Ichiban_jay

Send a message via AIM to Ichiban_jay  
2005-11-14, 00:30

or you can buy a USB mouse with a right click button and it should work right away without installing any drivers.
csb

2005-11-14, 01:04

I switched about 2 years ago and went to CompUSA to buy because they had a credit card special 18 months no interest no payments and since i had their card already and used them for printers and supplies, I figured i would give it a try. I was not unhappy with their service although i haven't had any problems.
Now knowing more about Mac i wouldn't hesitate to buy online or throught the local Apple store, check other threads on the board about upgrading ram.
As a new switcher i found the Missing Manual a great book.
as above someone mentioned the student teacher and developer discount if your eligible go that route and save yourself a few dollars.
Good luck
dyan

2005-11-14, 16:38

I was looking at the ibooks again and i forgot to ask about word processors.

I noticed that for Microsoft word for mac is about $150.00? I can't recall but iworks is $80. would it be better to get iwork since files are able to convert to microsoft word and back. I need an app for school papers and originally i was going to go with the Micro app but if iworks can do the job then i can save some money.
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2005-11-14, 17:17

Don't get Word! I hate it... The program is just really buggy and slow..

iWork is going to be updated soon (this is just speculation, but everyone for the most part sees it getting updated in January) so I wouldn't purchase it right away.

If you get an iBook, then AppleWorks comes on it.. which can tide you over while iWork gets upgraded.

I also like Robin Williams' "Mac OS X Tiger" for learning the ins and outs of Tiger

Deal with it.
AppleNewbie

Send a message via AIM to AppleNewbie  
2005-11-14, 18:24

Quote:
There is no apple store in my town and the nearest one is 2 hours away (so it's not convenient) dyan
For as little as (hopefully) you'll need to have your Mac serviced, 2 hours isn't a horrible distance. I drive over 1:15 to get the one in Kansas City, but there's nothing like the feeling of trusting your product to someone who knows what they're doing.

I've worked for a CompUSA competitor (it was the BEST place to BUY things ) and I gotta tell ya I wouldn't trust some of the retail (read: mostly PC-oriented) folks with my fine quality Cupertino product.