User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Decent desktop speaker system?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Decent desktop speaker system?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-12-01, 20:11

Topic says it all. Price range should be let's say $40-70. Needs to work as analog as that's all my g/f has, but if feasible, maybe a digital/optical option would be a nice bonus.

I have no idea what brand to pick from (Logitech? Altec Lansing? Creative?), and my g/f probably won't much care to have any premium kind of quality or brand. Anything will be better than what she has right now.

The setup should be two speakers and a subwoofer; I don't think anything more than that is needed unless it's more affordable than I think.

So, any ideas?
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-12-01, 20:52

This is close to my system:
Speakers
Sub

It sounds really nice and these Yamaha speakers, though old, are very reliable and reproduce a large range of sound. I added a Sub (I have a Polk Audio 550 but have it way turned down to 4) to help in the low end where most speakers have trouble. I am VERY pleased with my setup and have not changed it for 6 years. (A little tweak here and there but that's all.)

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-12-01, 21:05

I've had, and used, those JBL Creature II speakers (the funky looking ones, you've seen them, I'm sure) for almost two years now, I guess.

No complaints whatsoever.

They list for $99.95, but I just entered them on Pricegrabber.com and most places are selling them for below $70, in the mid $60's.

Looks like they come in some new colors now: metallic red and aluminum (in addition to the classic black and white (I have white).

Plenty of volume, plenty of bass. Never had a problem with them.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2005-12-01, 21:07

I have the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers that ran about $150 from Best Lie... erm, Best Buy. That's more than you're looking to spend, but when I heard them next to some of the other speakers, they sounded better by a very, very large margin.

Then again, I'm one to buy more expensive stuff with the intent of having it last me a lot longer. Just my two cents, as it's what I have, but I think it will suit me well for a long time to come, and they're of excellent quality.

Looks like they're still sold, according to their website. Color me surprised, I'd figure they'd have been discontinued at the rate these industries move.

Speakers are a tough buy, because there's so many, and quality varies... yet it's not always directly related to price. Good luck finding something that fits her (your?) needs.

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-12-03, 04:45

Thanks for the suggestions. Since sound quality wasn't the primary concern (she isn't much of an audiophile), I ended up picking the JBL Creature II which I had totally forgotten about. It's already ordered, to ship in a few days. So should be there by christmas. Excellent!

...now on to the next item. *cough*
awilso

Send a message via Yahoo to awilso  
2005-12-03, 12:15

A lot of discussion on this can be found here

linky

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=8053
chucker

2005-12-03, 15:37

True, bu that thread is almost half a year old, and besides, the problem already got solved anyway. *waits for it to ship*
awilso

2005-12-03, 16:20

Well chuker - I guess you alrady know my opinion.

JBL sucks....period :smokey:
chucker

2005-12-03, 16:47

Except that I had already ordered before you pointed me to that thread, so I have not much of a choice. I just hope the sound won't be worse than her current cheap-o Altec Lansing speakers, but I don't think that's possible.
awilso

2005-12-03, 16:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
Except that I had already ordered before you pointed me to that thread, so I have not much of a choice. I just hope the sound won't be worse than her current cheap-o Altec Lansing speakers, but I don't think that's possible.

You're right friend, nothing can be worse than Altec speaker. Hope you enjoy a renaissance
chucker

2005-12-03, 19:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilso
You're right friend, nothing can be worse than Altec speaker. Hope you enjoy a renaissance
Fortunately, I'm using Sennheiser headphones myself.
awilso

2005-12-03, 19:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
Fortunately, I'm using Sennheiser headphones myself.

Yeah me too - listen to Bob Dylan Versus whoever that dubm SOB who sang the title tune to Titanic - man they have to overlay a syth top note because she cant reach it....

only Sennaheiser can do this

The force is strong in this one
Benton

2005-12-04, 06:12

I won these in an online contest at www.mymac.com. Otherwise, I never would have heard of them. These really,really sound good.
http://www.rslspeakers.com/