Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

reconditioned macs

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
reconditioned macs
rabbit ridge

2005-12-16, 22:36

hi everyone, thanks for having me

i'm going to be buying a PB 17" pretty soon and i just found out that the applecentre near me is selling 'reconditioned' models for quite cheap (PB 17" for AUS$3000).
i asked what reconditioned meant and they said it was computers that had had faults and got sent back to the factory to be fixed.
does anyone have experience with this kind of thing? will i be ok if i buy one of these, or should i shell out the extra 600 for a brand new one?

thanks in advance
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-16, 22:42

That's also known as "refurbished" in the US.

I've read lots of very good experiences with refurbished Apple products. A refurbished machine is given much more special attention and testing than normal ones to be sure everything is working properly before selling it again. That, in theory, should result in a better and more reliable product.

Also, some refurbished machines are simply returns that can't be marked as new.

PS. Welcome to AppleNova!

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-12-17, 01:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I've read lots of very good experiences with refurbished Apple products.
I second that.
WMD

Send a message via ICQ to WMD Send a message via AIM to WMD Send a message via Yahoo to WMD  
2005-12-17, 18:58

I've more than read, I've experienced. I bought my Powerbook a month ago refurb, saved $200 (that figure includes the recent update)...and out of the box, you'd never be able to tell it wasn't new. Except for the preinstalled 10.3 with 10.4 in the box, and the reported 16 charge cycles...and the box you'd never know...it was flawless. Heck, I even forget sometimes

I say, buy refurbished. Totally.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2005-12-17, 21:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD
I've more than read, I've experienced. I bought my Powerbook a month ago refurb, saved $200 (that figure includes the recent update)...and out of the box, you'd never be able to tell it wasn't new. Except for the preinstalled 10.3 with 10.4 in the box, and the reported 16 charge cycles...and the box you'd never know...it was flawless. Heck, I even forget sometimes

I say, buy refurbished. Totally.
I'll back that up. I'm typing this on a refurb mini right now. Definitely a good way to go.