Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

need pb advice for - burners - RAM - router

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
need pb advice for - burners - RAM - router
tqw1315

2005-12-17, 20:45

Some hardware questions for 15" G4 1.5ghz Powerbook:

---What sort of compatibility do dvd burners have with OS X (and do you have any recommendations for a good external burner)?

---I just found out that macsales sells internal superdrives for $130. Would this be better than an external, or is it a bad idea to run the risk of voiding Applecare? (and if I do get one, can't I just switch the stock drive back in if I ever have to take my powerbook in?) (or if I do get one, can I have an apple service center install it? and does this cost money?)

---I have 512mb of RAM and I want to buy 1 stick of 1gb. I'm guessing the best places to get some memory are newegg and macsales, but what type should I get?

---Related to previous question: doesn't Crucial memory come with a lifetime warranty? Newegg.com offers 1 or 2 year warranty coverage for an additional price, but I thought most manufacturers already included it.

---What sort of compatibility do wireless routers have with OS X (and do you have any recs)?
-I've noticed that some routers require a Windows PC for the initial configuration. I have a PC, but this is kind of a pain in the ass... is it the norm for all non-Apple routers?

Thanks in advance.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-17, 21:09

Replacing the internal drive yourself will void your warranty. I wouldn't risk it.

I'm not an expert on memory; I'll leave that to someone else.

Any 802.11b or 802.11g router should work fine with your PowerBook. g is faster than b. The "requirement" of a Windows PC is total bunk. The only difference is that there may be an included CD with a Windows wizard application. As soon as it's plugged in and powered on, though, the router should be detected by your PowerBook and everything should be configurable from accessing the router's IP address in a web browser.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
tqw1315

2005-12-17, 21:33

Thanks, Brad.

If I have a certified technician install the drive, is the warranty still voided? I've read that doing this will prevent any voiding.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-12-17, 21:35

Memory: 1 GB, PC2700 Unbuffered So-dimm.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubmit=Property

The Crucial stick on newegg looks like a good deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145068

Per the OP's question, yes Crucial memory should come with a lifetime warranty. The product description page above notes so at the bottom.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-17, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqw1315
If I have a certified technician install the drive, is the warranty still voided? I've read that doing this will prevent any voiding.
I think you'll be safe with that.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-12-17, 22:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I think you'll be safe with that.
Yep.
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2005-12-18, 05:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqw1315

well mine got replaced by apple certified store and my warranty is still valid. so there shouldn't be a problem