* Keyboard & Mac OS X - U.S. English
* 12-inch TFT XGA display
* 1.33GHz PowerPC G4
* ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 w/ 32MB DDR video memory
* Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
* AirPort Extreme built-in
* Bluetooth 2.0 built-in
TOTAL: $1,129.00 (after tax) FREE SHIPPING
Crucial 512MB 200-Pin DDR SO-DIMM DDR 333 (PC 2700) Notebook Memory - OEM - $56.00

Grand Total: $1,185.00

I'd like to buy it before MWSF because a friend of mine that works for Apple says the G4's will be gone the same day they announce Intel ones and I don't want to be the first one to by an intel ibook

I was considering AppleCare for $200 (student discount + tax) but it is too much.
Do You guys think it is a good configuration. Right now I'm using XP2200, 512RAM, 80GB hdd 12" screen.

Should I buy 1GB additional ram? I am into photography and do a lot of photo editing!

Also do You think this ibook will keep it's price after about an year, if the IntelBooks come out extreme sucess and I want to switch to one?

And last one. What sleeve I should buy for my eventual iBook? Right now I use Shinza's ZeroShok.
Thank All

P.S. Nice forum...
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-12-19, 21:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeraHz
I'd like to buy it before MWSF because a friend of mine that works for Apple says the G4's will be gone the same day they announce Intel ones and I don't want to be the first one to by an intel ibook
So buy it refurbished from Apple right after MWSF and save another about $200 that you can then spend on AppleCare, which you really should get.
TeraHz

Send a message via ICQ to TeraHz  
2005-12-19, 21:27

But Apple does not offer it refurbished even now! Will they have it then?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2005-12-19, 21:31

Well of course they don't offer it refurbished now, they have it new now. I'm quite positive they'll have it refurbished once it's no longer the newest revision.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2005-12-19, 21:31

Go to the Apple Online store and search for refurbished or special to find them IIRC. I don't believe Apple sells refurbished models outside of the US, I know they don't at Canadian online store. Problem with refurbished models is you don't get to choose HD, or RAM IIRC.
TeraHz

2005-12-19, 21:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM
Go to the Apple Online store and search for refurbished or special to find them IIRC. I don't believe Apple sells refurbished models outside of the US, I know they don't at Canadian online store. Problem with refurbished models is you don't get to choose HD, or RAM IIRC.
That is where I checked. I plan to buy it online anyways. Currently they offer only AppleCare in the 12" iBook section of Apple Certified Refurbished.
TeraHz

2005-12-19, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
Well of course they don't offer it refurbished now, they have it new now. I'm quite positive they'll have it refurbished once it's no longer the newest revision.
They have all kinds of refurbished powerbooks:
Refurbished PowerBook 12-inch 1.5GHz Combo Drive
512MB DDR333 SDRAM
60GB Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 (64MB DDR)
AirPort Extreme
Bluetooth 2.0 + Enhanced Data Rates
scrouds

2005-12-19, 21:53

the one thing is if you want to use (or think you may) aperture with the 'book. if you think you might, i'd be waiting for the intel frenzay.

if the word aperture is not in your vocabulary, ignore this post
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-12-19, 21:55

They probably don't have a bunch of refurbished iBooks lying around right now because the iBooks have gone a fair amount of time without a refresh. Once they're updated, they will move their remaining current stock into the refurbished section and start selling the Intel iBooks as new. Plus, there are going to be a lot of people ditching their old iBooks in order to buy new ones, so I don't think you're going to have a problem finding a G4 iBook to buy.
TeraHz

2005-12-19, 22:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrouds
the one thing is if you want to use (or think you may) aperture with the 'book. if you think you might, i'd be waiting for the intel frenzay. ...
Not that I don't like the intel idea, just I'm not sure how well it will run. Plus not all apps will run right away. My plan is at the end of 2006 to sell the powerpc one and get intel one if they are that better.

I've never used Aperture (the apple software for images) before. Why will intel cpu make such a difference? I always had in my head that powerpc deals with images/video/music a lot better than x86.
TeraHz

2005-12-19, 22:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
They probably don't have a bunch of refurbished iBooks lying around right now because the iBooks have gone a fair amount of time without a refresh. Once they're updated, they will move their remaining current stock into the refurbished section and start selling the Intel iBooks as new. Plus, there are going to be a lot of people ditching their old iBooks in order to buy new ones, so I don't think you're going to have a problem finding a G4 iBook to buy.
OK. I'm convinced. I'll wait. 1 month without a notebook is not going to be that hard righ?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-12-19, 22:51

TeraHz, I might can make you a sweet deal on a 15" PowerBook in short order!
TeraHz

2005-12-19, 23:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
TeraHz, I might can make you a sweet deal on a 15" PowerBook in short order!
I'm sorry but I'm looking for 12" laptop. 13" tops. Thank You anyways
scrouds

2005-12-19, 23:22

Quote:

I've never used Aperture (the apple software for images) before. Why will intel cpu make such a difference? I always had in my head that powerpc deals with images/video/music a lot better than x86.
only because the current ones aren't supported, and a newer generation will be faster.

I also wouldn't be too worried about being an early adaptor. Rosetta is pretty fast for what it does, and the speed differnce shouldn't be noticed.

For reliability, its been my theory that you hear a lot of crap about rev. A because all the techno geeks buy rev A machines. And when something goes wrong, you WILL hear about it. They also know when something is broken, which avergae consumers may not.
TeraHz

2005-12-20, 01:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrouds
Rosetta is pretty fast for what it does, and the speed differnce shouldn't be noticed.
So the new ibooks shouldn't be a lot faster?

I will wait for the conference and decide then what to buy.

Thank You all for keeping me away from my ibook Just kidding
TeraHz

2005-12-20, 11:52

OK, Apple Store just added:
Refurbished iBook 12-inch 1.33GHz Combo Drive
512MB memory (DDR333 SDRAM)
40GB Ultra ATA hard drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 (32MB DDR video memory)
Built-in AirPort Extreme
Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
Scrolling Trackpad
Sudden Motion Senso
for $799 is that what I am waiting for?
Should I buy it? it is with the small hdd but I have a 80GB mini external so THat is not a problem
what is EDR?
chucker

2005-12-20, 12:00

Quote:
what is EDR?
Enhanced Data Rate. It provides Bluetooth with three times the data rate (3 MBit/s as opposed to 1).
TeraHz

2005-12-20, 12:05

Thanks chucker.

So now this unit is 799 and the AppleCare is 180 all plus tax is about 1060. + 56 for additional 512 ram 1116 total. Do you think I can get better then that in January?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-12-20, 12:40

Quote:
Thanks chucker.

So now this unit is 799 and the AppleCare is 180 all plus tax is about 1060. + 56 for additional 512 ram 1116 total. Do you think I can get better then that in January?
Nope.
This sounds like the most bang for your buck - I'd jump on it.
TeraHz

2005-12-20, 13:04

It is done.

Additional memory is also on the way.

Thanks for stopping me yesterday and saving me 200 bucks I hope the refurb is as good as new (and does not look alot like used one)
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-12-20, 15:23

My dad bought a refurbished 15" PowerBook from the Apple Store about two months ago and it looked perfectly new. I have never heard even one story of someone getting an obviously used machine when they bought a refurb. I'm sure it's happened, but it's rare.
scrouds

2005-12-20, 15:58

good deal, congratz.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2005-12-21, 19:46

Quote:
It is done.

Additional memory is also on the way.

Thanks for stopping me yesterday and saving me 200 bucks I hope the refurb is as good as new (and does not look alot like used one)
It'll be beautiful. Part of the refurb process is to replace the case so it looks brand new. I got my refurb mac mini several months ago, and even as hard as I am on my computer equipment, it still looks spotless.

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
ironlung

2005-12-24, 13:53

TeraHz the shinza sleeve is very good. You might try Booq, but I prefer shinza.
TeraHz

2005-12-24, 16:11

Well, I got my ibook two days ago http://joro.geodar.com/pics/v/iBook/. I installed the 512 Crucial memory without any problems. The laptop looks NEW! Now I'm looking for a sleeve and something to cool the ibook down (not that it is hot, but still I prefer cooler hardware).

I had Shinza before and they are very nice, but I think the iBook is a little ticker than the shinza sleeve. I'll check out Booqs Vyper. It looks nice.

What do you guys think about iLap? Is it good? Is it easy to carry around in a backpack?

BTW I love OS X. Now if I can just find a nice office package that works (like Open Office) and is not ugly (like Open Office)
I guess I'll have to buy Micro$ofts Office anytime soon...
chucker

2005-12-24, 16:17

I personally find iLap excellent, but putting it in a backpack may be more difficult. Be wary of scratches if you put the iBook right next to the iLap in the backpack.

As for Office, wait for MWSF and see if iWork '06 will suit your needs.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2005-12-24, 16:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
As for Office, wait for MWSF and see if iWork '06 will suit your needs.
I agree, as it is I like the way Pages and Keynotes work far more than the Microsoft offerings. Sady I must use the latter often due to college papers requring to be in Office format, and more so when I email papers to a prof.
pkatzman
Formerly "djfusion"

Send a message via AIM to pkatzman Send a message via Yahoo to pkatzman Send a message via Skype™ to pkatzman 
2005-12-24, 23:13

Quote:
BTW I love OS X. Now if I can just find a nice office package that works (like Open Office) and is not ugly (like Open Office)
I guess I'll have to buy Micro$ofts Office anytime soon...
Check out NeoOffice /J. It's a Mac-specific version of OO. I've heard good things about it, and somewhere on the web there's a detailed comparison between it and the latest version of MS Office. Here's their site, anyway.
TeraHz

2005-12-27, 17:24

Thanks for the office stuff. I tried NeoOffice/J and it is still not os x style. .doc format is a must (papers in school) Right now I'll be using the 30 day trial of office 2004 that came with the laptop.

I'm about to buy shinza's ZeroShock. I used it before with my other laptops. How does it fit the ibook? Does anyone use it?