Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

5G iPod upgrade struggle

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
5G iPod upgrade struggle
QuadraQ

2005-12-22, 17:36

Hi all,

I'm an avid iPod user, with a 3G 20GB iPod that's almost full (just a few hundred MB's left). I really want to upgrade, but I also want to get as much capacity as possible. I could buy the 60GB 5G iPod with video, but I'm concerned that won't be enough capacity. I bought the first generation 5GB iPod and quickly found I loved it but needed more space. I upgraded to my current iPod with 20GB of space, and now find myself in the same perdicament. The video abilities of the new iPod just make things worse because video needs an order of magnitude more space than sound alone, and I know myself well enough to know I'll be using the video in a big way (there's already a bunch of video podcasts I love, and I'll reencode my tivo shows as well).

The sad fact is I can't spend the money on upgrading all the time. I have $300 saved up, and I'm wondering if there's any chance that Apple will upgrade the 5G iPod capacity, say from 30 and 60 to 40 and 80 GB's.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
BenP

2005-12-22, 18:06

I'd say at the very least wait until MWSF.
Kusakun

2005-12-22, 19:08

I dont think we will see a ipod 80 till June 2006. This ipod is TOO NEW to change it. The modifications in that event i think will be the new ipod suffle i think...
If you can wait wait. If not get the ipod 30/60

Bye!
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2005-12-22, 21:06

geeze 60gig isn't enough? i have a 2gig nano and havn't even filled half of it
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-22, 21:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrookie
geeze 60gig isn't enough? i have a 2gig nano and havn't even filled half of it
Not when you're storing video on it. As QuadraQ said, video orders a whole magnitude more storage.
QuadraQ

2005-12-22, 23:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusakun
I dont think we will see a ipod 80 till June 2006. This ipod is TOO NEW to change it. The modifications in that event i think will be the new ipod suffle i think...
If you can wait wait. If not get the ipod 30/60
Well I think I can wait until MWSF at least, but if you're right that it won't be until June I don't think I can hold out THAT long.

I was hoping that Apple would just upgrade the storage capacity at MWSF since that's a relatively minor change that is basically a value upgrade, which should help them stay ahead of the curve without ticking anyone off who got a 30 or 60 GB model during the holiday season.

BTW this is going to sound really corny, but I really digg (pun intended) the idea of watching the latest diggnation video podcast while I'm in the bathroom. I usually run out of things to read, and I'm thinking that would be really cool. Off topic I know, but had to throw that in there...
Kusakun

2005-12-23, 07:22

Well... An update could be a possibility. But Remember that the ipod 4g introduced in october 2004 was updated in June 2005 changing it to iPod Color. Besides i dont think apple will have a price drop for a new ipod... If they introduce a 80 gb on the first quarter 2006 it will be around 500 dollars.
For me they are developing a new ipod -thinner- since the 80gb hitachi model is a lot more thinner than 60gb -and smaller- (But it is only my thought). If not they are going to use the same 60 gb case and put the 80 gb instead of it -that makes sense-

Last edited by Kusakun : 2005-12-23 at 07:29.