User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Mac Mini and Monitor Advice

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Mac Mini and Monitor Advice
jattila4

2005-12-26, 18:44

Hey everybody. I really want a Mac Mini to upgrade from my iMac G3 600 that I currently have in my room. I was wondering what you guys recomend me doing. Should I wait until MWSF to see if it gets updated with an intel processor? And if it isn't how long after that should I wait to see when the next update is? Or is it even worth waiting at all?

What route should I take?

And also, could anybody recomend an LCD for me. In the $150-$200 range...15 or 17 inch if I can.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2005-12-26, 18:45

If you need a computer now, buy it now.

If you can wait, wait.

Viewsonic has some nice inexpensive LCDs, available at stores such as Best Buy.
Zap2

2005-12-26, 20:56

Wait, your iMac could last you until Jan
patrickatm08

Send a message via AIM to patrickatm08  
2005-12-26, 22:42

I bet you could get a nice 17" Mac cinema in a mom and pop Apple authorized resale shop. I found one on the one near me for only $150, but I'm not an expert on displays, nor anything else. Good luck!

White Macbook 2.0, 1gb RAM, 60gb HDD
1gb Shuffle, 4gb 2gen silver Mini
Shure e4 headphones
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-12-26, 22:50

Watch techbargains.com and dealmac.com for monitor 'sales'.
I bought a 17" Dell LCD (silver bottom, not the really cheap black bottom) for $165. It is a pretty decent monitor.

Newegg.com usually has good prices on monitors. Viewsonic is a good brand and sometimes you can find a really good price on one at newegg.

I would only go with a 17". 15" displays (for desktop use) are just soooooo small.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2005-12-27, 07:20

I doubt the mini will get the intel chips first... all the developer mule systems are towers.

That said, by MWSF the previous 'update' of the mini to 1.5GHz may become 'official' so you may have a better shot at getting the 64MB VRAM model. (Read some of the old threads on the unofficial bump if you're thinking of buying a mini now... find a flexible dealer and check serial #s if you can to get the upgrade).

Given that that prior 'upgrade' still isn't officially listed on Apple's web site, I would be very surprised to see any other upgrade to the mini at MWSF... how would they explain the excess inventory and clear the channel?

My guess is that MWSF won't bump the mini, or will only 'bless' the prior bump.

If you can wait, wait.
Unless you've got a critical need to get off the iMac now, see what kind of deals you can get and spend the time researching your options... all the same basic CPU choices should be available in January (perhaps more, but doubtfully for the mini), and you might score a better LCD at some Boxing Day sales.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-12-27, 07:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb
I doubt the mini will get the intel chips first... all the developer mule systems are towers.
On the other hand, the towers may be last to get the Intel chips, as the professional users are the generally slowest to upgrade and make major transitions. Just look at how Apple kept extending the option of running the classic Mac OS 9 on the towers.

The Intel chips are in the towers for developers simply because the towers have the least custom-built hardware and can accommodate a standard Intel motherboard.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-12-27, 09:52

I have an Acer AL1715 display. It's just a 17" LCD with both DVI and VGA inputs, and it's wonderful. I would strongly recommend you get a display with DVI - they're hardly more expensive than VGA-only ones (in fact, they're usually the same price, and VGA-only displays are rare now), and the improvement in quality is significant. VGA gives an acceptable picture, but DVI is so much sharper and clearer.

A good 17" LCD should only cost about $200, give or take about $25. Dell's worth looking at; they'll sometimes have amazing deals that you won't want to pass up.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-12-27, 10:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
On the other hand, the towers may be last to get the Intel chips, as the professional users are the generally slowest to upgrade and make major transitions. Just look at how Apple kept extending the option of running the classic Mac OS 9 on the towers.
Not to mention that professionals have a pretty decent choice to choose from wrt Power Mac, with the dual-core systems available. There's not a compelling reason to use any specific Intel processor over the Dual dual-core G5 processors right now.
jattila4

2006-01-03, 01:35

I took the first step and found a monitor. It's a 17" Viewsonic with DVI, I think I got a pretty alright deal. You think this will be good for me? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Now I just gotta play the waiting game to see what happens at MWSF

Oh yeah, what do you guys know about Keyboard/Mice? I want something wireless, and the Mac Mini I get probably wont have blue tooth, and since there's no PS2 port on them this seems like a pretty good choice: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4183850
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2006-01-03, 04:49

The Viewsonics are good monitors for the most part, at least that is what I have read. As for a good deal, looks good, but then I don't know how old that model is. Considering its on ebay, I'd say its a good deal. I paid $350 (Canadian) for a brand new 19" Acer 1916 LCD a few weeks ago. 1280 x 1024 is a good screen a good screen res... my LCD has the same res for native.