User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Buying online or shopping with a retailer

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Buying online or shopping with a retailer
digitalprimate

2006-01-02, 20:01

Aaah... another one to finally make the journey towards that electronic fruit. That's me, that is.

Anyway, just wondering how it makes (or doesn't make) a difference when buying an Apple.

Do you prefer buying it online or would you go to a local reseller?

In my case, I'm still a student (last year, fingers crossed), so I can still enjoy an educational discount. However, maybe I can save a few bucks more to go to an Apple Store and look out for bargains (like pre-january 10-ibooks for example).

What are your experiences (good and bad)?
jevau

2006-01-02, 21:08

i just bought a PowerBook (today ) and had been comparison shopping for a few months so i can tell you the best deals online, but if you want to ask questions and be sure of the product you're purchasing, i would recommend stopping by a retail store. some of the sites online are not 100% reliable and i ran into a few that were just too shady, but retail stores are a lot more simple and easy when it comes to purchasing.

i would say if you trust a site online and it's cheap, go for it. but if you want to be sure then just head to an apple store and use your student discount.
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2006-01-02, 21:22

PowerMax and Small Dog are both Apple authorized resellers and are very reputible.
Also, you do not pay tax when you buy through them which can save you lots of money.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2006-01-02, 21:29

I don't think small dog will sell new Apple products to you if you haven't bought in their brick and mortar store before. I usually buy my apple hardware in an Apple store so I can get the ed discount. Granted, I have to pay tax, but it works out close to the same as buying online most of the time and I get instant gratification.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2006-01-02, 23:29

Personally I prefer to buy online directly from the Apple. I've said it before - ignoring the high quality of the product, Apple is the best fulfillment company I have come across. Painless and reliable from start to finish.
digitalprimate

2006-01-03, 15:54

So I've read some on some other (more local) forums that quite of lot of people have problems with service and also in terms of availability, when buying from a reseller.

But maybe that's only a problem where I live.

So how did you people buy your FIRST mac? Good experience? Less good experience?
judeobscure

2006-01-03, 20:54

I bought my first Mac ever at a tag sale. I bought my first new Mac from apple.com. No problems at all. Sadly, there are no brick and mortar apple stores in western MA. at all.