AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Windows question: DVD ripping software

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Windows question: DVD ripping software
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2004-08-23, 20:42

I know this probably isn't the best forum to ask this question but I don't frequent any Windows forums, so here goes.... I'm in need of a DVD ripping program. This is for legal reasons, I assure you (rather than FedEx'ing DVDs of sessions and consultation meetings back and forth between here and Seattle, I just want to rip the DVD and leave it on a server). I don't even know where to begin with DVD ripping on a Mac much less on a Windows machine. What I'm hoping for is a balance between speed, size and quality. Any recommendations?

BTW, these are therapy sessions so there isn't a lot of movement and sound could even be mono if that matters. TIA.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-08-24, 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile
I know this probably isn't the best forum to ask this question but I don't frequent any Windows forums, so here goes.... I'm in need of a DVD ripping program. This is for legal reasons, I assure you (rather than FedEx'ing DVDs of sessions and consultation meetings back and forth between here and Seattle, I just want to rip the DVD and leave it on a server). I don't even know where to begin with DVD ripping on a Mac much less on a Windows machine. What I'm hoping for is a balance between speed, size and quality. Any recommendations?

BTW, these are therapy sessions so there isn't a lot of movement and sound could even be mono if that matters. TIA.
Have you even tried doing a google search? Let's just say there are more relevant results than you can shake a pointer at.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-08-24, 12:14

OpenShiiva or Handbrake. I prefer the former, but it hasn't been updated in forever. Handbrake is easier to use. If all you want is to make the CSS go away, Mac The Ripper does that just fine...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2004-08-24, 12:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend
Have you even tried doing a google search? Let's just say there are more relevant results than you can shake a pointer at.
No jackass I haven't. Of course I have and 3/4 of the results are "buy this software and it'll rip your DVDs and scramble your eggs". Thanks for the informative response.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2004-08-24, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
OpenShiiva or Handbrake. I prefer the former, but it hasn't been updated in forever. Handbrake is easier to use. If all you want is to make the CSS go away, Mac The Ripper does that just fine...
As far as I know, it's not protected content. I was just recorded straight onto DVD-R from the camera feed. I really want to re-encode the video into something less big. mpeg-4 or avi or something. I'll check out handbrake. Thx.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-08-24, 12:41

Quote:
No jackass I haven't. Of course I have and 3/4 of the results are "buy this software and it'll rip your DVDs and scramble your eggs". Thanks for the informative response.
Maybe you need a search term primer. Did you try a search like, um, open source DVD ripper? First link == http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/software2.htm

A single page loaded with all free rippers, descramblers (in case your stuff is encoded with CSS which it wouldn't be), etc.

Maybe you're the jackass cuz you can't even come up with relevant search terms to help you find what you need.

No, your response makes you a jackass. Your lack of search skills just makes you a dumbass.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-08-24, 12:53

Play nice boys!

And in torifile's defense, he is a doctor, hardly dumbass material.

No one here is, so lets all just calm down and have fun ripping DVDs.

Come waste your time with me
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-08-24, 13:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
Play nice boys!

And in torifile's defense, he is a doctor, hardly dumbass material.

No one here is, so lets all just calm down and have fun ripping DVDs.
Well, he who casts the first stone...

Nowhere in his first post did he mention he had tried a search. I just get tired of lazy slackers who don't bother to do a search and expect other people to do all their information gathering for them.

I've been through the user agreement again, and I can't find any exemptions to name-calling for Drs., DMBand0026. Maybe you can point me to that regulation?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2004-08-24, 14:11

Quote:
Well, he who casts the first stone...

Nowhere in his first post did he mention he had tried a search. I just get tired of lazy slackers who don't bother to do a search and expect other people to do all their information gathering for them.

I've been through the user agreement again, and I can't find any exemptions to name-calling for Drs., DMBand0026. Maybe you can point me to that regulation?
Do I have to display my credentials before asking for help? I guess you're relatively new to these parts and you probably didn't know that I'm generally good at looking for answers to my questions before I ask for help. Ask anyone who's been around for a while. Do a search for a "Logan" over at ai.com and see the grief I gave him for being lazy. I'm not.

BTW, thanks for the link.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-08-24, 20:24

Quote:
Do I have to display my credentials before asking for help? I guess you're relatively new to these parts and you probably didn't know that I'm generally good at looking for answers to my questions before I ask for help. Ask anyone who's been around for a while. Do a search for a "Logan" over at ai.com and see the grief I gave him for being lazy. I'm not.

BTW, thanks for the link.
No, I've been here since the split. Just because I don't have a billion posts doesn't mean I'm some clueless newbie. Obviously while you don't have to bust out your badge, I must be some new guy because you don't know me?

BTW, maybe you need to re-read the posts in this thread, it was DMBand0026 who busted out that you were a Dr.

I went off on you calling me a jackass. Like I said, if you had mentioned you had done a search but hadn't found anything useful, I would've posted the link and been done with it.

I'm just used to so many people in many forums expecting other users to do their research for them, and today it struck a nerve.

No, I'm not going to do a background check on you, as you obviously didn't do any research on me. Also, I can't find anything in my first post calling you names. You call me jackass, then when I retort, your backup crew starts telling me you're a Dr. so you must be smart and I must be out of line.

Then you come back telling me I must be a newbie because I didn't defer to you or something? What's that about? If you can't even put in your post that you tried to find something on your own, I'm supposed to get this information through some kind of psychotelepathy or something? Whatever.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2004-08-24, 20:43

Quote:
No, I've been here since the split. Just because I don't have a billion posts doesn't mean I'm some clueless newbie. Obviously while you don't have to bust out your badge, I must be some new guy because you don't know me?
My point wasn't that, really. It was more that I didn't think I'd need to justify my question by saying I had done a search. You automatically ASSUMED that I hadn't. Just because you're having some pent up frustration with people not doing their own legwork, it doesn't mean that every "obvious" question is the result of being lazy.

I thought that since you didn't know my usual style (not asking a question without having done a search myself) that you must be new. Nothing else.

Quote:
BTW, maybe you need to re-read the posts in this thread, it was DMBand0026 who busted out that you were a Dr.
My "credentials" comment was about my "searching" credentials, not my degree. That's not important.

Quote:
I went off on you calling me a jackass. Like I said, if you had mentioned you had done a search but hadn't found anything useful, I would've posted the link and been done with it.
Maybe you shouldn't assume that just because someone doesn't know an answer to a question, they've been lazy. That's what I was reacting to.

Quote:
I'm just used to so many people in many forums expecting other users to do their research for them, and today it struck a nerve.
That would be a "yp".

Quote:
No, I'm not going to do a background check on you, as you obviously didn't do any research on me. Also, I can't find anything in my first post calling you names. You call me jackass, then when I retort, your backup crew starts telling me you're a Dr. so you must be smart and I must be out of line.
DMBand knows me better than you do, obviously. I'm no dumbass and I've been around a LONG time.

Quote:
Then you come back telling me I must be a newbie because I didn't defer to you or something? What's that about? If you can't even put in your post that you tried to find something on your own, I'm supposed to get this information through some kind of psychotelepathy or something? Whatever.
You could assume that I did as you so quickly assumed I didn't do a search. You'd be happier and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Anyway, I'm done with this discussion. Thanks for the helpful link your second post.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-08-24, 21:21

Your welcome for the link. Hopfully it got you what you needed.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2004-08-24, 21:23

Quote:
Your welcome for the link. Hopfully it got you what you needed.
It was very helpful. Thanks.

-t

ps - peace?
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-08-25, 05:24

Quote:
It was very helpful. Thanks.

-t

ps - peace?
Yea dude, peace. I honestly didn't mean to get so crazy.

You're correct that I stereotyped you originally as someone too lazy to punch in some search terms at your local Google textbox. My bad, and like you said, my problem (if that's what yp meant).

I was thinking about this last night, and I'm thinking, the easiest way to go about this might be to use Disk Utility (located in /Applications/Utilities) and use that to make a DVD/CD Master .dmg file from your DVD. It would take much less time then ripping, since there's no CSS to crack.

Alternatively, you could also use Roxio Toast if you already have a copy.

Either way, since there's no CSS, making a disk image would take much less horsepower to generate. Give it a shot! The worst that could happen is you waste 5-10 minutes.

Last edited by bassplayinMacFiend : 2004-08-25 at 07:50.
EDS66

2004-08-26, 14:20

Quote:

MacTheRipper works for me. DVDx2one is good for compressing.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2004-08-26, 14:44

I need a Windows package. One that's so simple a computer user who thinks windows is great could figure out. Like a program your parents could use. Maybe there isn't much demand for something like this but it'd be really useful for me.... Oh well, the search continues...
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-08-26, 16:58

Quote:
I need a Windows package. One that's so simple a computer user who thinks windows is great could figure out. Like a program your parents could use. Maybe there isn't much demand for something like this but it'd be really useful for me.... Oh well, the search continues...
DVDShrink for donwsizing DVDs for DVD.

Auto Gordian Knot for ripping to AVI?
naren
snail herder

Send a message via ICQ to naren Send a message via MSN to naren Send a message via Skype™ to naren 
2004-08-28, 01:05

try www.dvdrhelp.com for windows, mac or linux dvd ripping and editing solutions. This would be really simple to do with Toast 6.07.....
bazooka15

2005-04-28, 22:22

Does anyone know where I can find dvd movie images to stick on a burned movie dvd?

Thanks
EmC

2005-04-28, 23:23

WOW this thread is like several months old. To answer your question though since you asked so nicely. cdcovers.cc is a good place to start. Just remember though, removing the copy protection from commercial DVDs is illegal and not generally a topic we like to help with. Torifile was looking to rip non-commercial content.

Welcome, by the way.

What Adobe Updater‽ What‽ What‽ WHAT‽
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2005-04-29, 06:15

check out afterdawn.com's software portion. That is just the DVD rippers section, that might be of some help.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-04-29, 12:58

Wow, I was a total asshat last summer. That must've been some tack I stepped on when I got out of bed that morning.

Apologies again torifile.

*damn*
ast3r3x

2005-04-29, 13:46

Quote:
Wow, I was a total asshat last summer. That must've been some tack I stepped on when I got out of bed that morning.

Apologies again torifile.

*damn*
Haha...yeah didn't seem like you.

I replied to this thread thinking it was recent...I never looked at any dates.

I should have known tori would know better by now.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-04-29, 14:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
Haha...yeah didn't seem like you.

I replied to this thread thinking it was recent...I never looked at any dates.

I should have known tori would know better by now.
Yea, I was reading the posts going, "Who the $%^& is that asshole!!!" Then I saw MY name on the posts! Talk about embarassing.
ast3r3x

2005-04-29, 16:16

Quote:
Yea, I was reading the posts going, "Who the $%^& is that asshole!!!" Then I saw MY name on the posts! Talk about embarassing.
Had me laughing