User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

iMac or MacBook

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iMac or MacBook
nokiauk

2007-08-28, 11:42

I currently have a 20" 2.1Ghz G5 (pre Intel) iMac which i've had for approx 20 months.

I quite fancy changing to one of the Intel Macs in order to be able to use Vista and some other windows software.

For approx the same price I can have either the new 20" iMac with 3Gb of Ram & 500Gb Hard Drive or the Black Macbook with 2Gb of Ram & 200Gb Hard Drive.

Portability and smaller size of the Macbook would be handy but not essential, however I do like the look of the Black model

OS X Applications are nothing too taxing like 3d or Video, mainly Mail, Web Browsing, some photo work with Aperture/Photoshop CS3/iPhoto and all my day to day stuff is handled with iWork. I also do some web design with iWeb and NVU.

Windows wise would like to run Vista and a few other web apps that are not available of OS X.

The sensible option would appear to be the iMac but just can't decide. I would plan to keep this purchase for prob 2-3 years.
zippy
Veteran Member

2007-08-28, 11:57

Unless you really need,or really want, and will really use the portability, then the choice is really simple: the iMac.

Really!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-08-28, 11:58

I'd say the iMac is more bang for your buck, especially if you don't need mobility, there is no reason to get a Macbook.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-28, 12:00

Quote:
Portability and smaller size of the Macbook would be handy but not essential...
You just answered your own question.

I learned, the hard way, that if you're truly not in a situation where you need your Mac "out in the world", everywhere you go, you get so much more bang for the buck getting a desktop (iMac).

You list the specs yourself, so you're already aware of the particulars I'm talking about.

I always said my next Mac would be another laptop (a MacBook), but with a phone that does e-mail/surfing (and realizing that I never did any serious, money-earning design work on my laptop remotely - I was always at home, at my desk), I now know my next Mac will most likely be one of those spiffy new iMacs...7200rpm drive, bigger screen, more USB ports, dedicated graphics, bigger hard drive, etc.

Just makes more sense...I'm doing more freelance work than ever before (and 2/3 of it isn't even local, so it's not like I'm going to meet them and need to have my computer with me), and I tend to work at my desk, even with my PowerBook. So why not just have a huge screen and all the other goodies the iMac offers over the MacBook? That's my thinking, anyway...

Sounds like you might be in the same boat...it's "handy" to have a laptop, to always have your Mac with you. But unless you're really using it consistently in that way (away from home, away from your desk, traveling, etc.), you're better off getting the iMac, IMO.

I'm finding my iPhone covers so much of the functions I'd want - e-mailing and surfing, mainly - that I no longer crave a notebook like I used to. I can still stay in touch with friends, family and the world (and from the palm of my hand, no less!), and then have a much more powerful, capable machine back home for "real work"...to get a notebook from Apple that even began to approach the iMac, I'd have to lay out over $2,000.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-08-28, 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I now know my next Mac will most likely be one of those spiffy new iMacs...7200rpm drive, bigger screen, more USB ports, dedicated graphics, bigger hard drive, etc.
I got all that with my MacBook...

For me, it was a simple solution to the problem of my wife feeling she had "computer widow" syndrome. I was spending all my time at my desktop and not in the same room as her.

As a bonus to the 17" MacBook pro (with 7200 rpm, dedicated graphics, 1920 X 1200 resolution) she is encouraging me to get a iPhone (which I will when they get GPS) just for coming out of my office. I don't think the iMac would give me "more".

I am surely less productive when out of my office (I'm a sysadmin/programmer - AIX, perl and shell) and am having a bit of a problem adjusting to trying to work with distractions, but I still have my office and system there if I need the solitude.

The bottom line is I have a laptop workstation as capable as a desktop AND I have portability. nokiauk, you said you already have an iMac (a very capable one, from what you've said), so you could have your cake and eat it too.

For me, it's a win-win. I get more toys, she gets more of me. I got the better deal, I'm sure!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-08-28, 12:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post
I got all that with my MacBook...
I'm sure you did, but we're also talking $1,199 vs. $3,000...

If/when I win the lottery, I'd certainly consider a tricked-out 17" MacBook Pro like you have, and enjoy "the best of all worlds" (a portable machine that is every bit as powerful and similarly spec'd as a desktop costing nearly 1/3). But his options above are the iMac and "similarly priced" MacBook...he never mentioned having $3,000-plus to play with.

I'd love to go your same route, but that's just more than I want to spend at this time (and knowing how I work - and not having a wife - I can get away with the iMac/iPhone thing easier than some). I can sit at my desk all day long if I want, and nobody even knows, or feels neglected.

One of the benefits of singlehood (there are only about 3-4 total, so I take what I can get)...

Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-08-28, 13:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
One of the benefits of singlehood (there are only about 3-4 total, so I take what I can get)...

A good benefit it is, too. My tech spending was cut significantly my first several years of being with this woman. Being 50 and having the kids gone (more or less) makes monetary things a lot more flexible.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2007-08-28, 15:16

Compared to a "real" desktop, I don't feel like I'm giving up much with my setup.

I found a white C2D combo Macbook very slightly used, 3 months old, with the previous owner having already put in 2GB of RAM -> 750€
I'll pop in a 7200rpm HD shortly to have a fully decked out MB -> 100€

New iMac base config -> 1200€

I already had a nice display and input peripherals that I use with the MB. But if I didn't, the difference would be helpful in obtaining some. The laptop's lid stays permanently shut when I'm home.

I find this setup gives me desktop feel plus portability at a price that is not much more than the price of one decent desktop or laptop.
nokiauk

2007-08-29, 14:41

Thanks for the advice, looks like it will be the iMac as much as I like the Macbook, it makes sense to have the power etc of the iMac especially as I will rarely if ever require to take the machine out of my house.