Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

How to delete Genres in iTunes

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How to delete Genres in iTunes
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-05-25, 14:06

I just changed all the songs labelled "Hip Hop/Rap" to "Hip-Hop/Rap", but iTunes auto-fill insists on filling in with "Hip Hop/Rap" (ie without hyphen) even though there are no songs labelled with this genre any more.

How do I delete "Hip Hop/Rap" from my genre list so that auto-fill can't do this. Thanks.

bouncy bouncy
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2004-05-25, 17:01

Just an idea: Make a copy of your music library and see if "Hip Hop/Rap" (i.e. the non-hyphen variant) is still somewhere to be found, and do a search and replace in that case. Remove the XML file while you're at it so iTunes can update that.

(NB the "copy" part!)
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-05-26, 08:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
Just an idea: Make a copy of your music library and see if "Hip Hop/Rap" (i.e. the non-hyphen variant) is still somewhere to be found, and do a search and replace in that case. Remove the XML file while you're at it so iTunes can update that.

(NB the "copy" part!)
I don't quite understand what you mean. Can you explain that again please?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2004-05-26, 10:32

Sure!

First, I don't know if my solution will work, but I'll have you backup everything, so there's no risk involved.

1) Make sure iTunes is not running. You're going to manually edit the library from outside it; don't have iTunes interfere.
2) In the Finder, navigate to "Music:iTunes" inside your home folder. You probably have three items appear in there: a binary Library file with an iTunes file icon, a Music folder containing the whole library hieararchy, and finally, an XML copy of the Library file.
3) Create a folder "Library Backup" in there (in "iTunes", not in the "iTunes Music" subfolder), and copy both library files in there.
4) Remove the binary file. We'll have iTunes will automatically re-create that later. (And you still have a backup anyway.)
5) Open the other file (with the ".xml" extension) in your favorite text editor. TextEdit will work fine.
6) Here's the important bit: do a Search and Replace, searching for "Hip Hop/Rap", and, of course, replacing it with "Hip-Hop/Rap".

Pray that it finds something. If it does, do a Replace All. If it doesn't, however, you can skip the rest and move the backups back to where they were, overwriting your copy of the XML file, because that means my suggestion didn't work.

7) Assuming it found something, and you replaced all occurences, save the file and close your text editor.
8) Open iTunes. Don't worry, your library isn't lost. Go to "File", "Import" and select the XML file you edited.
9) Check if your problem is fixed. If not, rant off in here.
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-05-26, 16:24

Hmmm... finder estimates that step 3) will take ~3hrs (15GB+ song library)... I can't be bothered now, but I'll try tomorrow. Thanks for the great instructions! Now them is some simple steps that even I can understand!

Thanks

bouncy bouncy
Paul
Veteran Member

2004-05-26, 18:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfSylvanus
Hmmm... finder estimates that step 3) will take ~3hrs (15GB+ song library)... I can't be bothered now, but I'll try tomorrow. Thanks for the great instructions! Now them is some simple steps that even I can understand!

Thanks
heh apparently not... you don't have to backup the Music folder... and as I look over the simple instructions, I don't believe that chucker called for you to do so...

so maybe you should take a look at step 3 again

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
chucker

2004-05-27, 02:20

Yup, just backup the *libraries*. Not the whole music
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-05-27, 04:30

Quote:
Yup, just backup the *libraries*. Not the whole music

Oh! I see now.... *Working...*
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-05-27, 04:43

"Hip Hop/Rap" -> Not Found in the .xml file

There was only "Hip-Hop/Rap", as there should be.

Hurumph *sulk*

I wouldn't mind getting rid of other genres that I don't use either, like "Alternative", "Industrial", "Religious" etc Maybe iTunes won't let you get rid of them because they are default genres? Maybe there's an iTMS connection?

Any more ideas?

Thanks

bouncy bouncy
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2004-05-27, 07:51

i just got rid of genres completely.
i distrust the labeling and inevitable mislabeling of music.

miles davis hated labels, he said there is only good and bad. (objectively) and you don't have any bad stuff do you?

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-05-27, 08:13

chucker great post - thanks for the informative instructions... perhaps that could go into the "Sticky" at Genius Bar.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-05-27, 08:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkaratemonkeydeathcar
i just got rid of genres completely.
i distrust the labeling and inevitable mislabeling of music.

miles davis hated labels, he said there is only good and bad. (objectively) and you don't have any bad stuff do you?
skmdc - how did you get rid of genres... or do you mean that you don't show that option on screen?

btw, there are no bad notes in solos either, just poor note choices

All I want is a simple life
twitter
SKMDC

2004-05-27, 08:27

yeah i don't show that option.
i just use title, artist, album, time and times played (for smart playlists)
and do heavy grouping via playlists. i just wish you could have a playlist, and sub playlists. (like mailboxes in the mail app.) eg. beatles, then sub lists with each individual album.

SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-05-27, 08:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
chucker great post - thanks for the informative instructions... perhaps that could go into the "Sticky" at Genius Bar.
But it didn't work
chucker

2004-05-27, 09:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfSylvanus
But it didn't work
Okay, so it's not the library. It's the default set of genres, which is stuck in your iTunes localization's resource file.

The string "Hip Hop/Rap" *is* in there.

It being a binary file, my attempts to just remove it weren't of much success, even with the help of resource editors.

However, there is a much easier solution: replace that string, too, with your desired "Hip-Hop/Rap".

This one's trickier, but I actually tried it out. It should solve your issue.

1) Make sure iTunes is not running
2) Navigate to your iTunes application (just cmd-click the iTunes icon in your Dock)
3) In its contextual menu, choose "Show Package Contents"
4) Navigate to "Contents:Resources:English.lproj"*
*) Assuming we're talking about the English version here.
5) Backup "Localized.rsrc".
6) Open "Localized.rsrc" (the active copy, not the backup) in a text editor.
7) Search for "Hip Hop/Rap". It should only find one occurence. Replace the space with a hyphen.
8) Save.
9) Open iTunes and check if it still happens.

Good luck!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-05-27, 09:39

I love being told about stuff like this... maybe this could go in the Sticky at GB as well. (presuming it works!)

Last edited by Mac+ : 2004-05-27 at 09:41. Reason: typo... arrrgh! :mad:
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-05-27, 16:13

Quote:
Good luck!

Sorry d00d, but it doesn't work for me. I really did follow the instructions to the letter (twice through), but it doesn't work

When you said you tried it out, did you actually manage to delete a genre? Maybe there is a cache that I have to trash before the change will come into effect, or something?

Thanks for the continued help and ideas

bouncy bouncy
¡Damned!

2004-05-27, 16:23

Worked for me.

*shrug*

Cool advice, Chucker.
chucker

2004-05-27, 16:44

Please give me a more detailed answer than "didn't work"

What happened? Did iTunes fail to start? Does the genre just still show up?

I could, I suppose, just send you the modified rsrc file, too. I'm still curios, however, what failed - it seems to work for me
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-05-27, 18:08

Quote:
Please give me a more detailed answer than "didn't work"

What happened? Did iTunes fail to start? Does the genre just still show up?
Oh. sorry. Yeah, the genre just still showed up. But if it works for other people, must be my "user error". I'll try again tomorrow. I'm off to bed now.

Damn, that's really strange that it didn't work for me, but it did for others... (Plus, I'm really impressed that you managed to figure out how to do that. That's just crazy for an oh-so-average Mac user like me.)

Anyway night :yawn:

bouncy bouncy
Fat Tony

2005-09-08, 09:23

6) Open "Localized.rsrc" (the active copy, not the backup) in a text editor.

I actually changed the "Localizable.strings" file and got this to work in iTunes 5. Thanks for the info to get me there though!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-09-08, 09:54

Holy old threads, batman! You realize this is over a year old, don't you?
SKMDC

2005-09-08, 11:07

It is a year, old but my complaint about folders (above) has been taken care of.
but I did have a problem this morning while making my folders.
I had all my Stones albums, then put them in a folder, (one complaint i have is you can only drag one thing at a time) then accidentally put the Stones folder inside my Allen Toussaint folder.
There's no way to get it out! I couldn't drag it out.....unles i wanted to drop it in another folder or onto another playlist.
So I had to delete the folder which deleted all the albums which I had to recreate.
Another problem is the Tunes side will not recognize 'THE' so the stones are under 'R' but on the source they are filed under 'T".

Last edited by SKMDC : 2005-09-08 at 11:30.