Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Finalizing The New Apple Purchase

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Finalizing The New Apple Purchase
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Mr. X

2005-01-11, 16:04

Ahhh...I can breathe a total sigh of relief....even if I would have waited for the Expo, I still would have bought the same product (14" iBook, 80G Combo, 1.25G Ram---1G purchased from Crucial.com)....

So, now to finalize everything. I need software updates and an iPod for the gym.

1) iWork 05.....$19.99
2) iLife 05.....$19.99
3) iPod mini or shuffle...?
4) Apple Care?

Although I wish I could have received the updates for free, $40 is tolerable.....3 and 4 are what I need to decide on......

90% of my iPod use is for running and use at the gym. I have been wanting an iPod mini, but after seeing the new shuffle, I just don't know. I'm trying to decide if I really care about not having a screen, because, if I don't.....there is absolutely NO SKIPPING with the iPod Shuffle!!! You can't find something more perfect for running. Plus, the armband would be even lighter. However, there would be a few cases where I'd like to have a screen....but...$99!!!! Hmmm...tough call...

I never bought Apple Care for my old iMac, never needed it. Any reason I would need it for my iBook? Man, now that a $500 Mac has been released, I'd probably just buy that if my iBook broke down!
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-11, 16:19

umm, unless you bought the iBook today... you don't get that up-to-date pricing... sorry man.

I'd get the apple care and the cheap iPod shuffle... after 6 months if you find yourself really listening to it a lot, get a bigger one (I'd suggest one that will fit your entire collection.)

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
Mr. X

2005-01-11, 16:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
umm, unless you bought the iBook today... you don't get that up-to-date pricing... sorry man.

I'd get the apple care and the cheap iPod shuffle... after 6 months if you find yourself really listening to it a lot, get a bigger one (I'd suggest one that will fit your entire collection.)
Apple told me I could get the up-to-date pricing since I only bought a week ago.

I think I'll pass on Apple Care; take my chances..

should I get a cheap Firewire HD for backup? I'd want to back up my iCal and Address Book info...hard to do? Perhaps I only need to use my old Zip drive for that.
kretara
Cynical Old Bastard

Send a message via AIM to kretara Send a message via Yahoo to kretara  
2005-01-11, 16:38

I would never pass on applecare on a portable.
Desktop, maybe. Portable, never.
Notebook failure rates (across the board from all companies) are just too high for me to be stuck with a dead laptop 2 years into ownership.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2005-01-11, 18:10

yeah. ALWAYS get extra warranty on ANY laptop computer, regardless of who makes it.

they just like to die.
Mr. X

2005-01-11, 18:19

Alright...then I guess I'll wait a year to buy the warranty.

Is iLife 05 even worth it? I was told I can pay for the cheap upgrade, but I've already got iTunes 4.7.1 and iPhoto 4 (I'm sure it will be a free update to 4.whatever); I don't really plan on using GarageBand, iMovie or iDVD....
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-01-11, 18:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes
yeah. ALWAYS get extra warranty on ANY laptop computer, regardless of who makes it.

they just like to die.
They always say this

Personally I really think its all about do you feel lucky? well do ya, punk?

Are you a worrisome fellow who will get edgy if you don't have a warranty sometime down the line?

bouncy bouncy
Mr. X

2005-01-11, 18:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfSylvanus
They always say this

Personally I really think its all about do you feel lucky? well do ya, punk?

Are you a worrisome fellow who will get edgy if you don't have a warranty sometime down the line?
No, not really. The more I think about this, the more I think I'll answer yes to Clint Eastwood. I know people will criticize me, but I would rather take a chance than spend that money. However, I have a year to change my mind.

Will I do damage to my iBook's battery if i keep charging it before it's drained? I let it drain the first time I charged it (followed directions)...
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-01-11, 19:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfSylvanus
Are you a worrisome fellow who will get edgy ...?
Apparently, you haven't been paying attention!
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2005-01-11, 19:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
Apparently, you haven't been paying attention!
I had that completely in mind and was expecting a different reaction
Mr. X

2005-01-11, 19:42

edit--> ah well, I guess the hazing continues...

Last edited by Mr. X : 2005-01-11 at 20:04.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2005-01-11, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. X
Will I do damage to my iBook's battery if i keep charging it before it's drained? I let it drain the first time I charged it (followed directions)...
See here: http://www.apple.com/batteries/
Mr. X

2005-01-11, 22:07

thanks for the link, LudwigVan

now...if I could just make up my mind on iPod Shuffle vs. Mini....
Zodiac
Shiny, Musky, Fleshy Member

2005-01-11, 22:19

Get the damn warranty. You have a great chance of needing it in the future!
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-01-11, 22:31

get the damn shuffle..if you want to move up, by then the iPod Mini 2 will be out...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-11, 22:40

Mr. X, get the warranty and the iPod shuffle.

Everyone here is on the same page regarding warranties on laptops...and they're right.

As for the shuffle, it's pretty damn cute and affordable. And the thought of having whatever comes up next be the song you listen to is quite intriguing to me. In fact, after careful assessment of my own iPod usage/listening habits, I'M *this close* to selling my 3G 15GB and just introducing a bit of randomness into my own life.

There. Case closed.

Next?

Mr. X

2005-01-11, 23:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0

Everyone here is on the same page regarding warranties on laptops...and they're right.

As for the shuffle, it's pretty damn cute and affordable. And the thought of having whatever comes up next be the song you listen to is quite intriguing to me. In fact, after careful assessment of my own iPod usage/listening habits, I'M *this close* to selling my 3G 15GB and just introducing a bit of randomness into my own life.

There. Case closed.

Next?

Warranty: I'm going to think about it for a year.

Shuffle: Hmmm.....well, I keep thinking back to my original scroll wheel iPod. I'm an album guy...love listening to full records on the hifi. However, I never used to listen to a full album w/ the iPod on the go or working out...enjoyed flipping around. So, again, the Shuffle probably is the answer. Hmm...getting closer to a decision...

BUT...will I miss that screen????

oooh, that Shuffle is quite affordable, though, you are RIGHT.
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-01-11, 23:14

Are you ok with 4G and Up to 25 minutes skip protection? then go ahead..But don't be kicking yourself when the 8GB comes...
Mr. X

2005-01-11, 23:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstarrising
Are you ok with 4G and Up to 25 minutes skip protection? then go ahead..But don't be kicking yourself when the 8GB comes...
25 minutes is not enough...I used to get so irritated when I would be running for a half an hour with my old iPod, and it would shut off....and yeah, I'd probably be a little annoyed when a new 8GB gets released soon after buying a 4GB, but I'm sure the 1G flash player is only the beginning, and THAT capacity will be much larger in no time, too..right?

Okay. Done. Purchased the iPod Shuffle 1GB w/ edu discount. $147 w/ tax. You guys haven't stirred me wrong, and I feel like this was the right purchase. Although I'm purchasing everything now at once, I want it to be as affordable and long-lasting as possible, and I feel like I'm accomplishing those goals.

Only thing left is to get iWork and iLife. I was told to talk to sales support, which I will do tomorrow.
Akumulator

2005-01-11, 23:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0

There. Case closed.

Next?

I have the same iPod and am thinking the same thing. I rarely take my iPod out other than long road trips and when I listen to iTunes it's usually on shuffle. I'm definately getting an iPod shuffle...... now the question remains, should I sell my 15gig iPod? Probably.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2005-01-11, 23:56

Mr. X,

when i say you should get the warranty, i mean it. i work with over 300 people. every machine they have (over 500) comes to me when it breaks. all the laptops have some problem within three years, without fail. the key is that on laptops, even a minor problem will cost as much if not more than the Applecare.

you may think you're lucky, and that you'll be different, but you won't. next thing you know it will be 13 months after your purchase, buying the warranty will be out of your mind, and the computer will start on fire.

then you'll post a thread title like your last one, only this time for a good reason. and the common consensus you'll get will be "should have bought Applecare"

i swear we don't (aside from murbot) come here to fuck with people. we actually do want to help. when this many people from so many walks of life, and every professional in the field here says you should do something, you might want to consider it free advice that will cost you considerably if you don't follow it.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
nomorewindows

2005-01-12, 00:18

Quote:
Mr. X,

i swear we don't (aside from murbot) come here to fuck with people. we actually do want to help. when this many people from so many walks of life, and every professional in the field here says you should do something, you might want to consider it free advice that will cost you considerably if you don't follow it.

And except for Chucker who will "accidentally" give you a link to the Bjork website...cute, very cute

Silly me, I thought hazing was for frat boys.
Mr. X

2005-01-12, 00:23

Quote:
Mr. X,

when i say you should get the warranty, i mean it. i work with over 300 people. every machine they have (over 500) comes to me when it breaks. all the laptops have some problem within three years, without fail. the key is that on laptops, even a minor problem will cost as much if not more than the Applecare.

you may think you're lucky, and that you'll be different, but you won't. next thing you know it will be 13 months after your purchase, buying the warranty will be out of your mind, and the computer will start on fire.

then you'll post a thread title like your last one, only this time for a good reason. and the common consensus you'll get will be "should have bought Applecare"

Wow. Strong words. I appreciate your advice.

Yet, the Apple Care is a lot of money. Why do they charge so much for a warranty? ...and if these laptops break that easily within three years, then I should have bought a desktop. BUT, it's too late now, and I may just trust you and buy it.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2005-01-12, 00:28

i should also explain they aren't just Apple's laptops. laptops from Dell, HP, Toshiba etc. (a lot of those 500 computers are Windows machines). it's not so much they're put together badly, but rather a laptop is the worst possible combination of factors to have in a computer.

you're going for small, lightweight, portable etc. then you're taking this small, fragile machine and carrying it all over the place. they are just so accident prone it's a piss poor bet that nothing will break in three years.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Mr. X

2005-01-12, 00:55

Quote:
i should also explain they aren't just Apple's laptops. laptops from Dell, HP, Toshiba etc. (a lot of those 500 computers are Windows machines). it's not so much they're put together badly, but rather a laptop is the worst possible combination of factors to have in a computer.

you're going for small, lightweight, portable etc. then you're taking this small, fragile machine and carrying it all over the place. they are just so accident prone it's a piss poor bet that nothing will break in three years.
well...if anything happens, I will probably start kicking myself for not buying a desktop. I guess I could let iCal remind me less than a year from now to buy the Warranty....or I could just do it and be done.......or, take my chances and get burned later...
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-12, 04:12

if you want to wait, do it...
but the next time the genius at the apple store tries to talk you into buying applecare with your laptop... do it...

heh.

The money probably would be better suited in your bank account for the next 10 months anyway...

1215/234215 (top .51875%)
People really have got to stop thinking there is only one operating system, one economic system, one religion, and one business model. -EvilTwinSkippy (/.)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-01-12, 08:04

Mr. X, I waited 11 months before getting mine, so I'm not saying "GET IT NOW!".

But get it.

Re-read those 2-3 posts by alcimedes above. He's dead on. There's no reason to even discuss or debate it. You have the advice, you know the reasons.

Do with it what you will.

If you DON'T get it and 14 months from now if something horrible happens and you're looking at some huge repair bill, I think I speak for most here when I say "we don't wanna hear about it in any sort of whining, handwringing thread...". You think people are monkeying with you NOW? Ohmigosh...

I agonized too. But I took 11 months. Then it dawned on me that "holy cow, Paul...it's a portable. It GOES OUT INTO THE WORLD. The big, cold, mean ol' world. Crap happens. Accidents, and worse. I don't want to be on the hook for some $800 repair...".
morningstarrising
Veteran Member

2005-01-12, 17:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. X
t I'm sure the 1G flash player is only the beginning, and THAT capacity will be much larger in no time, too..right?

If the iPod Shffule gets any bigger, it will need a screen.
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2005-01-12, 17:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningstarrising
If the iPod Shffule gets any bigger, it will need a screen.
true dat...i think the shuffle will stay a certain size...maybe, over time up to 2 gigs...but really if is for walking, jogging etc...if you want all your tunes, go iPod or iPod mini...if you want to work out or just hang a bit and hear some tunes, go shuffle...

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough
Mr. X

2005-01-12, 18:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegelding
true dat...i think the shuffle will stay a certain size...maybe, over time up to 2 gigs...but really if is for walking, jogging etc...if you want all your tunes, go iPod or iPod mini...if you want to work out or just hang a bit and hear some tunes, go shuffle...

g
agreed...that's why I'm going shuffle...

Okay, so I'm going to get the Apple Care within the next few days. You've all convinced me, and again, I wanted this purchase to be a "buy everything now and be done" deal.

So, I still have one thing left: A backup HD. How do these work? Do I just connect via Firewire, and drag the Macintosh HD into it? I just want to be able to copy my entire contens of my iBook once a week....