Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Used 15" 2.5 gHz vs. new 13" 2.26 gHz

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Used 15" 2.5 gHz vs. new 13" 2.26 gHz
Kyros

2009-08-25, 10:35

Hey everyone,

I've been looking to replace my G4 powerbook, and now an interesting deal has come up. Both machines would cost the same ($1200 for the 15" vs. $1100 + tax for the 13"), although the 13" does come with a free iPod touch, which would be nice, but isn't that big a deal for me (and I wouldn't sell it, rather just give it to a friend or something if I don't use it).

Recently I've been getting more and more into photography, so Photoshop performance and big screen would be nice there (although PS probably runs about the same on each right?). The 15" also comes with a 250gb HD and 4gb memory, so specs-wise it seems comparable to the faster 13", although I don't know how the processors compare to be honest.

I'm definitely leaning towards the used 15" (which would be local, so I can look at the condition), but the two options are quite similar, so if anyone knows of a specific reason to go with the 13" (like if this particular 15" has any known issues), I'd be glad to hear them.

Here's what I plan for the computer to handle:

I like my computers to last about 4-5 years, and I assume for longevity the 15" might have the upper hand with a dedicated graphics card and express card slot, although the 13" can take more memory (8gb vs the 6gb I hear the 15" can take).

Beyond the usual word processing and internet surfing, I'd be running some version of Photoshop (currently I only have CS2, which has to run through Rosetta, so I guess eventually I have to upgrade there too...). I assume I will also be running something like Mathematica or Maple since I'm entering my last few semesters of my Astronomy degree (and then there's grad school after that).

As for games, I don't play many anymore, although I will probably try out Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 when they come out. I assume both computers would be able to run them, but the graphics card on the 15" might help out there.

As I'm writing this, I'm becoming convinced the 15" is the obvious choice for me, but let me know if I'm missing anything in my thought process.

Thanks .

EDIT: Here's the everymac page for the 15" that I'm looking at, the computer is about 1 year old: http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ryn-specs.html
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-08-25, 11:39

The only compelling reason to opt for the new model is the longer battery life, but if that doesn't matter to you, go for the 15" model.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2009-08-25, 12:01

Am I right in thinking the 15-inch model is pre-unibody? If so there is no contest: go with the 13-inch model. The unibodies are a huge step forward in notebook design. Most importantly for your 5-year life expectancy, they're stiffer, and therefore reduce wear and tear on the solder points on the logic board - thus reducing the likelihood of failure.

Even worse, the 15-inch model you linked to has the notorious 8600M GT graphics - a chip that has cost NVIDIA a sizeable fortune in warranty claims due to its unreliability. Look elsewhere if you want to use the notebook for several years.

Another point to consider for your photography is that the new models have far better screens. See here for details.

I don't think PB PM read your post very closely.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-08-25, 12:39

Oh, I thought it was the last gen 15" model before the unibody switch. If it was the latter, I'd say go for it, but not with the model you are looking at.
Kyros

2009-08-25, 15:07

It is the last model before the unibodies, but evidently it does use the 8600. That's also a good point about the screen. I'll have to give it more thought. I'm not so concerned about the stiffness, actually, although it is a good thing to keep in mind. Thanks for your posts.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-08-25, 15:12

IMO, the stiffness is a big deal if you're planning on using the laptop on the go. If not, then get a desktop.
Kyros

2009-08-25, 15:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
IMO, the stiffness is a big deal if you're planning on using the laptop on the go. If not, then get a desktop.
Normally I'd agree, but the place I live in currently is tiny and there is basically no room for a desk to put a desktop on. Nonetheless I've decided to skip the used one for now. I'm not sure I'll buy the 13" yet either, to be honest. I might wait for used current-generation 15" laptops to appear on the market. I'm not at the point where I feel an upgrade is critical yet.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-08-25, 15:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyros View Post
Normally I'd agree, but the place I live in currently is tiny and there is basically no room for a desk to put a desktop on. Nonetheless I've decided to skip the used one for now. I'm not sure I'll buy the 13" yet either, to be honest. I might wait for used current-generation 15" laptops to appear on the market. I'm not at the point where I feel an upgrade is critical yet.
Keep an eye on the refurb store. Good deals are to be had.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2009-08-25, 18:01

The pre-unibody MacBook Pros aren't bad computers - we thought they were pretty great until last year - but the new unibodies have redefined our expectations. But that particular 15-inch model has the 8600M GT GPU, which I wouldn't wish on my enemies. It's almost guaranteed to fail within a few months of hard use. Sure, Apple will fix it under the extended warranty for that issue, but you'll quite possibly have to fix it several times. And the warranty doesn't last for five years.

Do consider a refurbished unibody, such as the $999 MacBook Pro mentioned here. That is a screaming bargain for what you get, and in my opinion the 13-inch MBP with 9400M GPU is more likely to survive for five years than just about any laptop you can think of. Though it will obviously seem pretty slow by then.

If you can wait for maybe six months Apple should have Nehalem-based MacBook Pros available, which will be better future-proofed than today's models - a good thing if you hope to get five years of use out of the notebook.