Time to upgrade my old G5 Quad

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Time to upgrade my old G5 Quad
jcoley2
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jcoley2  
2009-09-09, 20:53

Guys and Gals,

I am going to finally toss the towel in and upgrade my nearly four year old Quad G5. I do a lot of video encoding (for football as I am a coach) and generally run a lot of apps simultaneously. I am a big data user (my excel files are huge.) I was thinking of buying a 8-core for future software and looking on eBay tonight, but apple has had so many different models over the last year it is really confusing. Where should I start. I can afford pretty much anything but want a good deal!!!!

Now that I got a job, I can buy more Apple products!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2009-09-09, 20:55

Why not check the refurb store and see what they got to offer? Everyone here raves about it, though I've never really used it.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2009-09-09, 21:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Why not check the refurb store and see what they got to offer? Everyone here raves about it, though I've never really used it.
Thanks, I just did. Found one 2.93GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processors for $900 less than new. That does not really turn me on.

BTW, do I go with "Nehalem" processors or not?

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-09-10, 00:29

Nehalem (Core i7 server grade chips) chips are the newest generation Intel CPUs in Mac Pros.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-09-10, 01:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoley2 View Post
Thanks, I just did. Found one 2.93GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processors for $900 less than new. That does not really turn me on.
Really?

Why not?

You'd be getting a machine with a full 1-year warranty (and you can grab a cheap AppleCare plan from Amazon) just as if it were new.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-09-10, 01:38

Quote:
BTW, do I go with "Nehalem" processors or not?
http://www.apple.com/macpro/features/processor.html

Given the advances in the newest generation, I wouldn't even think of advising a client in your situation to buy an earlier generation. And, a used current-generation machine on eBay would not match the value of the refurb you found.

Replace the first pair of the 1 GB chips RAM with 4 GB chips and bask in the glory of a 14 GB machine taking advantage of Snow Leopard and 64-bit. That would be a screamer. That's what I'd advise a paying client to do.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2009-09-10, 07:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL View Post
Really?

Why not?

You'd be getting a machine with a full 1-year warranty (and you can grab a cheap AppleCare plan from Amazon) just as if it were new.
Ok, maybe I just need to be convinced!

First, do I really want to spend the extra $2000+ for Nehalem? I plan to keep the computer for several years, and speed is very important to me esp. in video encoding as I mention, I do a lot of it for high school sports.

You mention not to go for one of the earlier generation machine on eBay (which is exactly what I was looking at last night.) But what about one of the slower Nehalem machines like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Nehalem-Appl...ht_2864wt_1167

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-Core-Mac-Pro-2...ht_1114wt_1167

or (I would show him a much reduced bid):

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEWEST-Mac-Pro-8...#ht_3194wt_927

Would not a 2.26 machine be sufficient or would you go for the 2.93 machine?

jcoley2
Veteran Member

2009-09-10, 07:41

According to Mac Buyers, perhaps I should hold off for a month or so:

Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-09-10, 10:15

When's the next CPU coming out? Unless it's soon, It could easily be another half year until they bother releasing an update...
Quagmire
meh

2009-09-10, 11:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swox View Post
When's the next CPU coming out? Unless it's soon, It could easily be another half year until they bother releasing an update...
Yeah, the current Mac Pro didn't get come out until March as noted in the buyers guide. The Mac Pro seems to be updated in the January-April time frame seeing how that is when new Xeons come out it seems.

giggity
Mr Ten

2009-09-10, 12:03

i'm in a similar position as well, using a dual 2.0 g5 and am looking to get into the new mac pros, this thing eats up ram and runs poorly quickly, my 13" unibody macbook flies in comparison. when's the next expected refresh and will it have serious upgrades or price drops? don't mean to hijack, but we're in a similar position so i didn't want to replicate threads (also wondering when the damn new displays will appear too, unbelievably overdue).
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-09-10, 12:43

The next generation chips wont be too much different speed wise, IIRC. The primary change is the shift to 32nm dies, with the main advantage being lower power consumption.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-09-10, 16:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swox View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't expect an update anytime before the end of this calendar year. The recent MacPro update interval has been a bit longer than the average they show from combining the MacPros with the PowerMac G5s.
¡Damned!

2009-09-10, 17:00

I'm in the same boat, but looking to go a slightly different direction than you. I'm thinking a maxxed-out 17" MBP will be sufficient, with a single 30" screen as opposed to my two 24"s.

I'm not sure, honestly. I acquired a silly 13" MBP over the weekend, and I have to say, if it wasn't for the glossy fucking screen and the fucked-up color profile I'd be completely in love with this thing. Never since my Pismo have I had such an affection for a machine. And that's saying something....a lot of something.

Still, it's a stop-gap. The few tests I've done reveal that we're way fucking behind, brother. My Quad and yours are not long for this world. Snow Leopard and this stupid little laptop kick the shit out of our Quads.

So it goes.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-09-10, 17:48

Wait...they changed the name of the 13" MacBook to MacBook Pro, but they're not offering a matte display option (like they do on the 15" and 17" models)?

Reminds me of the old 12", 15" and 17" PowerBook G4 days...where the little one always got left out/behind, even though it shared the same model/family name. I was hoping they'd not revert back to that sort of thing. Is there any (good) reason on earth this 13" model - now called "Pro" by Apple, and positioned alongside the other two - comes in glossy only?

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2009-09-10, 17:51

I have one of those silly 13-inch MacBook Pros you mention, 709. Though mine might be even sillier depending on which one you got. However, it's damn quick at normal tasks like photo editing. The only things I don't like so far are the extreme thinness of the screw-on bottom panel (I'll dent it for sure) and the glossy display - though the panel behind the shininess is actually pretty good.

I understand the advantages of glossy over matte, but in practice it's just a pain in the arse to have to reposition things (mostly my head) all the time to avoid specular highlights.

Jcoley2: if there's one area where Nehalem is significantly faster than Penryn, it's encoding video. Just so you know.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-10, 17:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Wait...they changed the name of the 13" MacBook to MacBook Pro, but they're not offering a matte display option (like they do on the 15" and 17" models)?

Reminds me of the old 12", 15" and 17" PowerBook G4 days...where the little one always got left out/behind, even though it shared the same model/family name. I was hoping they'd not revert back to that sort of thing. Is there any (good) reason on earth this 13" model - now called "Pro" by Apple, and positioned alongside the other two - comes in glossy only?

I believe they only recently (i.e., since the last update) added the 15" matte option. They might add a 13" matte option, with time.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-09-10, 18:00

It should've been there the day it got renamed MacBook Pro. What's all this "waiting and hoping" crap?

Apple's bad about doing this whole staggered, "delayed completeness/consistency" thing as it is. Yes, I'm sure they'll put the matte option on the 13". In time. Dragging it out for no good reason.

Doesn't help 709 and countless others.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-10, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
It should've been there the day it got renamed MacBook Pro. What's all this "waiting and hoping" crap?

Apple's bad about doing this whole staggered, "delayed completeness/consistency" thing as it is. Yes, I'm sure they'll put the matte option on the 13". In time. Dragging it out for no good reason.

Doesn't help 709 and countless others.
Oh, believe me, I know. That's one of those "Apple things" that bugs me too...like with the new inconsistent iTunes UI.

They're so much more consistent and "together" than any other company that when they're not it really bothers me.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
¡Damned!

2009-09-10, 18:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
I have one of those silly 13-inch MacBook Pros you mention, 709. Though mine might be even sillier depending on which one you got. However, it's damn quick at normal tasks like photo editing. The only things I don't like so far are the extreme thinness of the screw-on bottom panel (I'll dent it for sure) and the glossy display - though the panel behind the shininess is actually pretty good.
Well, to be perfectly honest, I didn't want this machine. It was a gift. I averted my eyes from it for many days, but in the end I decided to install all my software upon it, little by little.

I'll never get over the glossy screen, honestly, but this little thing feels good. Not "good," like O HAI MY NEW MAC FOREVR, but seriously good. I like it. Now, I haven't "liked" a Mac in a long time. Not that I'm not the unabashed fanboi...I am. I simply haven't found anything in the last few years that made me fall in love with [a goddamn machine].

I'll tell you what, though. This little silly 13" is my thing. I fucking love it. No, I can't do any real work on it. No, it's not optimal for anything that I do professionally. But goddamn if I don't want to wrap my arms around this thing like my Pismo and dream sweet, sweet dreams.

It is a complete mistake that I even have one of these goddamn things.

It is a blessing (non-religious, of course) that I do.

So it goes.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2009-09-10, 18:22

OK, to bring the thread back to the original topic () what about one of those eBay listings above. I mean, how much faster is a 8-core nehalem 2.26 vs. some of those 2.6's I see out there vs. the newer 2.93's? I assume all three are Core i7 server grade chips--is that correct?

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-09-10, 18:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoley2
OK, to bring the thread back to the original topic
No.

I so know what you mean 709. Most Apple designs are in the "like but don't love" realm for me. They're visually pleasant and structurally sound, there's nothing necessarily wrong with them but there just isn't enough there for me to actually dig. Even my iPhone...I like it, but I don't love it, and I kinda wish there was a little more to it.

But.

The Power Mac G4 Cube, iMac G4, and MacBook Air are all just OMFG amazing.

You'll note that these are among Ive's least simple designs. My Mac mini, which lacks the acrylic case and massive vent on the top, is unquestionably more simple than the Cube, but it's both less technically impressive and a less pleasing design, to me. My iMac G5 was much simpler than the iMac G4, but I would have traded it for the Dome in an instant. And the MacBook Air, with its wedged design and port trapdoor, is far less minimalistic than the MacBook Pro.

I love simplicity. Simple things are sexy. Except...when they're boring. Apple sort of straddles the line between the two, sometimes.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
¡Damned!

2009-09-10, 18:49

Quote:
OK, to bring the thread back to the original topic () what about one of those eBay listings above.
Not to be overly blunt or anything, but seriously, WTF? Why in the fucking world would you buy a Mac, of all things, that you plan on using for the next 4+ years, from eBay?

You can get a perfectly modern machine, with warranty, for nearly ~200 bucks than you'd spend fucking around with some dimwit on eBay.

I don't get it, honestly. Spend the extra coin, for fuck's sake. It's not that much.

So it goes.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2009-09-10, 19:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Not to be overly blunt or anything, but seriously, WTF? Why in the fucking world would you buy a Mac, of all things, that you plan on using for the next 4+ years, from eBay?

You can get a perfectly modern machine, with warranty, for nearly ~200 bucks than you'd spend fucking around with some dimwit on eBay.

I don't get it, honestly. Spend the extra coin, for fuck's sake. It's not that much.
You can save a lot more than $200. If it was that little I would agree, it would not be worth it. But you can buy some machines $1000+ less. Here is a good example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Mac-Pro-De...ht_3369wt_1167

What do you think this will ultimately trade at?

Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-09-10, 19:26

Wait, why didn't' anyone tell me that the 15" MBPs have antiglare again?!! Did you all think this was funny or something?!

Oh, and I'd never spend that much on a machine from eBay when I could get it from the Apple Store for a couple of hundred more. In fact, I just wouldn't spend that much on eBay, period.

The only Mac I'd buy on eBay would be a cheap, out of date laptop or Mini, if I needed one for some reason.

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
¡Damned!

2009-09-10, 19:34

Quote:
What do you think this will ultimately trade at?
Who cares? 4 years from now it will garner between 400-100 USD. Big fucking whoop. In 2012 a pack of cigarettes is going to cost that.
¡Damned!

2009-09-10, 19:37

Seriously. A refurbished octo is your best bang for the buck.

Anything you argue beyond that and you're just being offish.

First you say you can afford anything, then give links to crap bullshit. Honestly. Get your shit together.

So it goes.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2009-09-10, 19:45

Quote:
First you say you can afford anything, then give links to crap bullshit. Honestly. Get your shit together.
I can afford anything but that does not mean I want to waste money. Every one likes a good deal.
jcoley2
Veteran Member

2009-09-10, 19:48

Quote:
Who cares? 4 years from now it will garner between 400-100 USD. Big fucking whoop. In 2012 a pack of cigarettes is going to cost that.
Sorry, I did not mean in 2012, I meant in the auction this week. I agree what it is worth 4 years in the future is irrelevant.

Last edited by jcoley2 : 2009-09-10 at 20:05.
¡Damned!

2009-09-10, 19:57

Quote:
I can afford anything but that does not mean I want to waste money. Every one likes a good deal.
Well then you're in luck.

I found a "2.93GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processors for $900 less than new" at the Apple Store.

That's a fucking good deal.

So it goes.