Inexpensive PC build

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Inexpensive PC build
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2009-10-23, 22:46

My in-laws need a new computer. They're probably too old and set in their ways to learn how to use OS X, so I'm going to build them a PC. I want a nice, inexpensive build for them. One that'll be reliable but it doesn't need to run games at max settings or anything.

I'm thinking that since I've got a couple extra sticks of DDR2 RAM, I'd go with a DDR2 mobo. I'm looking at the Radeon HD 3650 since it's only $30 after rebate at newegg for a video card. I'm thinking of a corsair 400w PSU since they're reliable but not more than they need either. And a WD 500 gig HD. I need recs for a mobo and processor. Any thoughts? I'm hoping to get one built for around $400-500. Is that doable?

So far:
- $30 for 3650
- $30 for PSU
- $55 for HD

That leaves about $280 - 380 for the case, mobo and proc. Thoughts?

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-10-24, 07:41

I've made a few more choices and this is what I've got so far:

Powercolor AX 3650 (newegg) - $23 after rebate
Corsair CMPSU-400CX (newegg) - $30 after rebate
PNY DDR2 RAM (already have) - $66
Gigabyte GAG31-ES2L (newegg) - $53
E6300 2.8 ghz Wolfdale (newegg) - $82
Antec 300 (amazon) - $60
WD 500 gig HD Caviar Blue (amazon) - $54
Samsung DVD-RW drive (amazon) - $31
Sony internal card reader (amazon) - $15

Total: $414 or about $425 shipped. Any thoughts so far?

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-10-24, 13:11

Sounds like a good budget setup to me.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2009-10-24, 13:30

I hate to say this, but have you thought about just a basic dell desktop? They have some really cheap offerings that would get you Windows 7, a keyboard and mouse, and it would save you some time and effort. I would still probably go the route your are going because I would enjoy putting it together and setting everything up, but I just thought I would ask.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-10-24, 14:28

Of course a pre built system came to mind but I'd prefer to build it myself.
Eugene
careful with axes

2009-10-24, 18:44

There's hundreds of ways you can build an inexpensive PC. Here's a gaming box I suggested in another forum.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=10023331

But as reality sets in, for in-laws it really would just be better to steer them toward a prebuilt PC from HP or Dell.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-10-24, 18:52

I'd spend as much time uninstalling all the crap that comes pre installed as I would building a new machine. And they'd come back from the store on Black Friday with some piece of junk that cost $199 after 17 rebates. I think long term for trouble shooting it'd be better for me to build it.
Unch

2009-10-25, 07:19

Why even bother uninstalling? Wipe the disk and install just the stuff you want from scratch (you'd have to do that anyway on a new box). I've done that for friends and family a few of times now and it works a treat.

"It's like a new pair of underwear. At first it's constrictive, but after a while it becomes a part of you."
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-10-25, 08:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unch View Post
Why even bother uninstalling? Wipe the disk and install just the stuff you want from scratch (you'd have to do that anyway on a new box). I've done that for friends and family a few of times now and it works a treat.
With the OEM discs? My experience is that that just puts the crap right back on. Is that not right anymore?
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2009-10-25, 09:12

No, not the OEM discs. Use whatever disc you would use if building your own box. When I got my Dell I used a standard Vista disc to wipe and reinstall.

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-10-25, 09:16

It does, but the best way it just get an OEM copy if Win7 (via a torrent normally). Then use the key given with the PC and do a clean install. Then you get the ethernet port working if it isn't preinstalled in Win7 (which most are).

At this point when the system gets online Win7 will find the proper drivers and complete the setup. Your system will be clean and free from bloatware. Oh, and it's legal too because you have the valid license and you're not getting a cracked version of Win7, just OEM.

If you use the restore partition that comes on the machine then it will just reinstall everything without giving you the ability to remove it. I wouldn't both going that route.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-10-25, 10:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
It does, but the best way it just get an OEM copy if Win7 (via a torrent normally). Then use the key given with the PC and do a clean install. Then you get the ethernet port working if it isn't preinstalled in Win7 (which most are).

At this point when the system gets online Win7 will find the proper drivers and complete the setup. Your system will be clean and free from bloatware. Oh, and it's legal too because you have the valid license and you're not getting a cracked version of Win7, just OEM.

If you use the restore partition that comes on the machine then it will just reinstall everything without giving you the ability to remove it. I wouldn't both going that route.
I can vouch for this as well. Did the same thing when I upgraded Vista 32 to Vista 64 on my machine (couldn't get a free 64-bit disc from MS since I got Vista from my school, which only offered the 32-bit version). Also did it for my girlfriend's computer, a laptop. Product key was printed on a sticker on the underside so I just torrented a Vista Home Premium ISO, burned it to a DVD, and installed it with her product key.

There's probably some questionable legality involved with torrenting the OS, but as long as it's not a cracked version or anything it will activate with MS without issue.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-10-25, 12:36

Or I could just build my own computer and avoid the headaches entirely.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-10-25, 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Or I could just build my own computer and avoid the headaches entirely.
I think he's caught the bug.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-10-25, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
I think he's caught the bug.
Oh hells yeah. I'm building a Core i7 rig now, too. Since my sister-in-law is buying my previously built hackintosh, I need to build myself another. That thread would be the exact opposite of this one - Expensive PC build. But I think I can figure that one out on my own.

Unch

2009-10-25, 14:02

I'm a bit confused. The last few PCs I set up for people had a Windows disc and driver disc(s) and application discs separately. I don't know why you'd need to torrent anything.

My Wife's Dell Inspiron that we got about a month ago has a Windows Vista disc and drivers + utilities disc. Wipe, reinstall just the stuff you want and off you go.

The 2004 Dell laptop that I used to have, had exactly the same arrangement (except with XP rather than Vista), so it's not anything new. I know that back in the dark ages it was not uncommon for some PC retailers to give you no media at all, so if it went wrong, it was back to the shop for a reinstall.

Perhaps things are just done differently this side of the pond.

"It's like a new pair of underwear. At first it's constrictive, but after a while it becomes a part of you."
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-10-25, 14:18

Here in the US PC Retail market most computer do not ship with disks anymore. The manufacturers create a second partition on the HDD and put what used to be on the disks into that partition. Now when you do a wipe, it reinstalls the OS and all add-on software in one install process. I'ts been that way for years here.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-10-25, 14:32

Quote:
Oh hells yeah. I'm building a Core i7 rig now, too.
Did you go with the Lynnfield or Bloomfield chip?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-10-25, 15:16

Quote:
Did you go with the Lynnfield or Bloomfield chip?
Bloomfield. Specifically the 920. I needed to ensure that I could get SL working without too much trouble and I didn't find lots of info on the 1156 chips.

Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-10-25, 15:35

If they're in the i7 iMacs, the Lynnfields will work beautifully. Or so I'm told. I'm holding out until I know for sure.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-10-25, 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swox View Post
If they're in the i7 iMacs, the Lynnfields will work beautifully. Or so I'm told. I'm holding out until I know for sure.
It may be more of a motherboard issue - it's difficult to say until someone does it definitively.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-10-25, 16:27

Quote:
It may be more of a motherboard issue - it's difficult to say until someone does it definitively.
I think we need it to use the P55 MB. This stuff is confusing for me
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-10-25, 16:30

Yeah, but are P55 supported for hackintoshing?

I don't read much about any of that so I just don't know
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-10-25, 16:35

Yeah. It's the motherboard thats the thing. Any of these Intel procs work. It's getting a compatible motherboard. I decided on a gigabyte x58 ud5 even though it's quite expensive just to make sure I got a board that works.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-10-25, 16:49

Quote:
Yeah, but are P55 supported for hackintoshing?

I don't read much about any of that so I just don't know
Might be once the new iMacs come out, which isn't too far away. It's worth waiting for, IMO, because the chip are much better and they cost the same as the previous ones. People are having some success with them now, but it sounds like too much of a hassle to me upfront, not to mention every time there's an OS update. If the new iMacs don't make vanilla possible, I'll go with something else.

Have you thought about waiting a few weeks to see if a vanilla kernel works for the 860's, torifile?

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-10-25, 16:50

Keep us updated. Are you getting an SSD this time?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-10-25, 17:38

Quote:
Keep us updated. Are you getting an SSD this time?
It's not *that* expensive.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-10-25, 18:13

Quote:
It's not *that* expensive.
Yeah, I guess I got a little excited there. And I'm not even building the pc.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2009-10-25, 19:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swox View Post
Might be once the new iMacs come out, which isn't too far away. It's worth waiting for, IMO, because the chip are much better and they cost the same as the previous ones. People are having some success with them now, but it sounds like too much of a hassle to me upfront, not to mention every time there's an OS update. If the new iMacs don't make vanilla possible, I'll go with something else.

Have you thought about waiting a few weeks to see if a vanilla kernel works for the 860's, torifile?
Waiting a few weeks? Hell, I can hardly wait a few days when I get an idea in my head some times.

Reading through this thread doesn't give me a lot of hope for a socket 1156 mobo working easily. If I weren't going to be without a computer for a time, it'd be a different story but for now, I'm thinking it's best for me to go with the i7 920 and that gigabyte mobo.

Down the road, I'll think about experimenting with the 1156 mobos. This building computers (and reading about it) is pretty fun.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-10-25, 19:23

And with the 1366 you've got a better setup for dual video cards - more PCIe throughput.