Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Shopping for DIY A/V wiring project

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Shopping for DIY A/V wiring project
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2009-11-09, 18:34

I'm researching how much it would cost me to run new phone and coax lines across my garage ceiling to my living room. I'm probably going to buy the cables at Monoprice.com, but they don't sell wire management solutions in low enough volumes to be useful for this project.

I need about 60 feet of cable raceway, but I'm not sure where I can get the best deal. I checked out Lowes today, but theirs is pretty pricy. Is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Twitter: bwyatt | Xbox: @playsbadly | Instagram: @bw317
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-11-09, 18:48

I don't have any personal experience with this place, but I think a family friend bought stuff from them. Check out Graybar, I think they cater to contractors mostly, but maybe they'll sell you what you need.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-11-09, 23:01

We used a wire shelf for closet organization but we mounted it upside down. Works perfectly! Cheaper too.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2009-11-10, 07:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
We used a wire shelf for closet organization but we mounted it upside down. Works perfectly! Cheaper too.
That's clever, but I might have a hard time selling that to my wife (or future home buyers). It might work, though, if I could cover it with something. The only problem then would be bringing the cables back down the wall.

Maciej, it looks like that site only sells to contractors. I'm betting your friend had a connection that helped them out.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-11-10, 10:29

No I meant goin in store, there's a couple locations in indiana - I thought one might be lose to you. WRT contractor, i know he isn't a contractor, help is possible but I'm uncertain. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-11-10, 11:10

Going down the wall you zip tie to brackets mounted along the frames. It actually doesn't look bad and is very similar to what you would find with cable guides. There are cable braces that you get for this. It's actually far better looking than having the larger cable guides that "hide" the cables.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2009-11-10, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
Going down the wall you zip tie to brackets mounted along the frames. It actually doesn't look bad and is very similar to what you would find with cable guides. There are cable braces that you get for this. It's actually far better looking than having the larger cable guides that "hide" the cables.
Could you post pictures of your setup? I'd like to see your suggestion in action.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-11-10, 11:35

I'd like to, but it's going to be a few days before I can get to it. This method was done in a network room at a place I volunteer. I'll try to get some pictures ASAP though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2009-11-11, 11:18

Time for scope creep! I got a bunch of Cat 6 cable for free, so I'm running four data lines now too.

I think I'm doing this on Saturday, and my wife gave me the okay to just leave the wires uncovered, as long as they're run cleanly. I'm ordering all my random parts from Monoprice later today and picking up the last couple things I need at Lowes during my lunch break today.

So, um, this thread is probably in the wrong place now. And the title isn't really accurate. Oh well!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-11-11, 22:45

Wow, great deal on the cables! Also nice that your wife gave you some leeway.