User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Apple Store Policies (Purchasing related)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple Store Policies (Purchasing related)
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-03-13, 14:23

I'm not quite sure how best to find the answer to my question, aside from going to an actual Apple store and asking - which is inconvenient right now.

Anyway, does the Apple store still accept checks? Since they removed their cash registers, and everyone just walks around with those little PDA gizmos I wasn't too sure if things have changed. Anyone know off hand?

My apologies if this belongs in the other thread. I didn't want to necrobump something from 2005, and in General Discussion.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-03-13, 15:01

I don't know but now I'm curious too. Most people I know use check cards and such but the number of times I've been in my local Apple Store I can say I've never seen a checkbook out. I'm going to guess no, but don't know.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-03-13, 15:19

I thought by now using checks was outlawed except for grocery shopping by old ladies and paying rent.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-03-13, 15:27

Fine. I'm going. I'll post once I know.

However I'm pretty sure they do, or do the legal tender laws not apply?
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-03-13, 16:29

Okay, Apple store employee says they do. With credentials, of course.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2010-03-13, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
However I'm pretty sure they do, or do the legal tender laws not apply?
Checks aren't legal tender. AFAIK, in the USA, only the actual federal-issued currency (eg. coins and dollar bills) is considered legal tender. Checks, credit cards, debit cards, IOUs, and other forms of payment can be accepted or denied at the payee's discretion.

Glad to see things worked out for you, though.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-03-13, 18:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Glad to see things worked out for you, though.
Well not quite yet, but I'm getting everything ironed out so that when I'm ready to buy I don't run into any problems.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2010-03-13, 20:44

North Michigan Avenue still has cash registers. Plus they still take cash, their has to a drawer somewhere to hold. Any check can be submitted to a bank the same way a debit card is, so I see know reason they wouldn't take a check.
It's just I can see no reason to write one either, unless as Brad mentioned you are a little old lady in front of me at the market.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-03-13, 20:59

Haha, well in usual circumstances I wouldn't use a check. But certain things about this account make a check most convenient in this case.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2010-03-13, 21:14

I think they do have cash registers, they’re just hidden and each store normally only has one.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-03-13, 21:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I think they do have cash registers, they’re just hidden and each store normally only has one.
Yeah, your probably right. It has to be in back, because there is absolutely nowhere in the front of our store that a cash register could be. The Genuis Bar isn't even a bar, they're islands like in your kitchen. Every other wall is covered with computers or accessories.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2010-03-14, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Anyway, does the Apple store still accept checks? Since they removed their cash registers, and everyone just walks around with those little PDA gizmos I wasn't too sure if things have changed. Anyone know off hand?
They do, but it is a colossal pain in the ass. They will hate you for it. Use a debit card if you can.

As for cash registers, they're hidden underneath the Genius Bar. There is no "register," per se, just a cash tray that works through the one of the MacBook Pros above the bar.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
hflomberg

2010-03-14, 21:47

Bar? There's a bar at the Apple Store? I gotta spend more time there
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2010-03-14, 21:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by hflomberg View Post
Bar? There's a bar at the Apple Store? I gotta spend more time there
Oh god, you'd never get me out of there. Srsly.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2010-03-14, 22:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
They do, but it is a colossal pain in the ass. They will hate you for it. Use a debit card if you can.
I would if I could, but there's no plastic attached to this account. And it's gonna suck for me too, the last time I was at that store it smelled like BO, hard. There's just a ton of people in there all the time, I always want to leave as soon as I can. I don't know why the hell that Apple store is always so hot, and it was particularly bad this last time I went.

User formally known as Sh0eWax