Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Photo accessories for trip to Mexico

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Photo accessories for trip to Mexico
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-04-07, 21:02

Alright, so after I annoyed all of you with my countless questions in my DSLR thread, I figured I'd start another one.

The main purpose behind the purchase of my DSLR purchase was because I'm going to RIviera Maya, Mexico and I wanted a nice camera to bring with me.

The only thing that I've bought extra for the camera was a 50mm lens. I've used it a few times already and I love it. The kit lens is terrible, but it will have to do for a while until I can save up a few hundred more dollars to get a new lens.

How will this lens work for taking pictures of landscapes and other things besides portraits? I've been reading a few things online that say it will be more than adequate, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations on where to look for tips on using the 50mm.

I was thinking about grabbing a few things to get before the trip.

I saw the Luma Loop and thought it looked very cool. Has anyone here used something like this?

I was also thinking about something like this Lowepro camera bag I was just looking for suggestions on things like that.

Also, we were thinking about trying to find a small tripod that we'd be able to carry on side trips. Does anyone have a small travel tripod that they've used or have?

Thanks again in advance for the help.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2010-04-07, 21:29

I have a small tripod that’s actually not bad if you’re using a small lens. My parents got it at Ritz so I have no idea what the brand name is (also, I think it’s in Houston right now...) but it can support a small DSLR + lens.

You could also consider the beanbag method, I used it in Yellowstone with some success.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-04-07, 21:32

I looked at that bag and ended up going with a 5 Million Dollar Home and love it. So glad I did too because it's so easy to use and fits comfortably on my shoulder.

Here's a pic from my setup, click the pic for the thread it came from.

Here's something you really should get before you go: RC-1 I use mine all the time when I need to be in front of the camera or am taking a long shutter image and don't want camera shake.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-04-08, 03:41

A good, small camera bag is great to have. Crumpler, Tarmac and Lowepro all make great bags, although the Tarmac and Crumpler bags look less like traditional camera bags. You might want to consider a bag with the camera storage section facing your back, because traditional bags are easy for thieves to get into without you noticing! Not something you want to happen on vacation with your brand new camera!

As noted before, get the wireless shutter release, you want to have pictures with you in them too!
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-04-08, 07:08

The remote is a definite, just haven't gotten to it yet.

I'll have to look at those bags, thanks.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-04-08, 21:09

Since I only have the kit lens and a 50mm lens right now, I was thinking about getting another one. Being that I just spent a lot on the camera, I can't really afford to get one.

I just saw something on Gizmodo about renting lenses. They used a website called Borrow Lenses

Has anyone ever used something like this? I think it would be good to try because I could use another lens for a week trip, but would rarely get use out of it afterwards. I figured it would be worth a shot to grab one for a week and see how I like it.

IN addition to that, which one would be a good one to bring on a trip like this? I think it would be a good experience to experiment with a better lens but not spend the money all at once.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2010-04-08, 22:20

I rented a Canon 70-200/4 for our trip to Yellowstone this past summer from LensRentals.com. Worked great for me.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-04-08, 22:35

I used lensrentals.com for our trip to Hawaii last year. Totally worth it. I will do it again next time we have a big trip.

You might also consider getting a flash. I hate using the built-in flash but with an external flash you can bounce the light off things so you don't get that harshness.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-04-08, 23:26

If I were to get a lens for a trip like that it would be this one: 28-135mm. It's a good balance for some reach with basic wide angle. Better than the kit lens.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-04-09, 02:04

28mm is not very wide at all on a crop sensor body, being equal to 44mm on 1.6x crop Canon body like the Xsi. If you are going to rent a lens either get something to compliment or temporarily replace your kit lens. If you could afford to rent a 17-85 IS or 15-85mm IS, you'd have better wide angel coverage. Really depends on what kind of photos you want to take.
GSpotter
Veteran Member

2010-04-09, 11:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
The only thing that I've bought extra for the camera was a 50mm lens. I've used it a few times already and I love it. The kit lens is terrible, but it will have to do for a while until I can save up a few hundred more dollars to get a new lens.
You could make several shots and stitch them together for a panorama if you couldn't get the whole scene with the 50mm.
(Works best with a tripod, but with todays stitching software, even handheld shots can give great results)

Example: I made the following picture while I was walking my dog and had only my 85mm lens with me. I couldn't get the whole cloud on one picture, so I took three shots and used the panorama feature of Photoshop (there exist other, free panorama tools, too) to merge them into one picture:

You can also use the small depth of field (and getting close to your subject is rarely a bad idea) :

My photos @ flickr
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. -- Benjamin Franklin