AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Paging Robo: GSM Android phone

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Paging Robo: GSM Android phone
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-07-06, 13:27

I need to get a GSM (works on AT&T) google phone. My options for non-sucky AT&T Android phones seem limited to an unsubsidized Nexus One. Am I missing something? The reason I need an Android phone is that I use Google Voice for my practice and it's about 10 steps too many to access GV services on my iPhone.

I'm looking for used N1s but they are either too expensive or t mo versions. Any thoughts?

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-07-06, 13:48

Hmm. If I may ask, how much is "too expensive"?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-07-06, 13:54

More than $350.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-07-06, 14:23

Can you swing $339? Because IMO the new HTC Aria is probably your best bet.

It's too new for reviews (!!!), but it's basically an HTC Legend in a plastic case, with North American 3G, for a lot less money. The 600MHz MSM7227 isn't a Snapdragon or a Hummingbird, but it's noticeably faster than 528MHz Hero-class processors.

It's midrange, but I wouldn't at all call it "sucky." It's AT&T's first decent Android phone. The screen is a bit small but the phone is quite small, too; it's almost like an Android HD Mini.

It's probably too new to find one used, since people can still just return it (came out on the 20th). But $339 is a good bit cheaper than I thought it would be, I mean that's only $10 more than a (sucky) CLIQ XT.

The problem with getting, say, a used Hero is that it's harder to find one with North American 3G, since you have to find a Rogers one and that's it.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-07-06, 14:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
It's almost like an Android HD Mini.
It's actually like exactly like an Android HD Mini; they share virtually the same design, down to the weird yellow trim under the battery cover. The Aria replaces the Windows-y buttons with an optical pointer, but that's it. Same processor, too. So yeah.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-07-06, 15:20

That's an unsubsidized price?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-07-06, 18:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
That's an unsubsidized price?
Yup, it should take you to the "phone only, no contract" page.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-07-06, 18:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Yup, it should take you to the "phone only, no contract" page.
That seems like a very good option. Thanks!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-07-06, 18:29

Quote:
That seems like a very good option. Thanks!
MobileBurn gave it a positive review. A few caveats to know before you buy it: No camera flash, no Amazon MP3 store, and no ability to run unsigned apps (due to AT&T). It's good for 99% of what people care about, though. (The only "real" criticism was battery life, but that's something literally every Android phone gets gripes about.)

It's what I'd get, in your shoes. You're lucky it just came out!

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-07-06, 18:42

I don't need the camera and I don't use amazon for mp3s. I just need it to work well with google voice. And my brief stints with android 2.1 make me think that it should do fine.

About that AT&T lock thing... Surely the phone has been or will be rooted so I can put a custom ROM on it. It'll just take some time. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a used n1 for AT&T but if one doesn't turn up in the next few days (I've been looking for the better part of a month!) I'll just get this and go on my merry way.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2010-07-07, 21:04

I had fun playing with the Aria today at the AT&T store. It's not something I'm sure I want yet. For only $370 (Store price not Amazon's) it's not that bad to buy a toy though for when I want Android. Certainly worth considering though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-07-07, 21:37

I scored a nexus one. It's a t mo version but I also found someone who's wanting to trade his att version for a t mo one. Odd. Anyway it set me back $400 but I got a case and desktop charger in the deal. Not bad considering the aria (which is a nice phone - I looked at it today) is about that much.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2010-07-07, 23:27

Nice deal! Welcome to the N1 club.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-07-07, 23:54

Quote:
I scored a nexus one. It's a t mo version but I also found someone who's wanting to trade his att version for a t mo one. Odd. Anyway it set me back $400 but I got a case and desktop charger in the deal. Not bad considering the aria (which is a nice phone - I looked at it today) is about that much.
Not bad at all.