Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

trying to buy an inexpensive, iSight capable MacBook for Iraq

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
trying to buy an inexpensive, iSight capable MacBook for Iraq
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2010-09-24, 10:53

Anyone know of where you can purchase a MacBook with an iSight for under $400?

I don't want to take something really nice and new to Iraq, nor do I want to pay for a laptop when I already have a relatively expensive and nice iMac...

Any help would be appreciated!

-Messiahtosh
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-09-24, 11:06

Core Duo MacBooks are really cheap, definitely under $400. Pretty old though, I'm not sure how good of shape they'd be in.
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2010-09-24, 11:13

Some used MacBooks at PowerMax. Cheapest current model is $639, which is over what you said, but maybe if you keep an eye on them the stocks will change? They have PowerBooks and iBooks too, down in the 300-500 range, but those wouldn't have a built in webcam- but you could possibly couple one with a cheap external webcam with the savings you get?

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-09-24, 12:15

Those are some pretty awful deals. I know why places like PowerMax overcharge so much but still. $639 for a MacBook with a combo drive? $669 for a first-gen Core Duo model? Ugh, no way. I'd rather take my chances with eBay or Craigslist.

I know you hate PCs but this might be a good situation for one. Probably get a new one within your budget. Won't be great but it'll do the job. Even a netbook would work, throw a lightweight Linux distro on there and you've got a super portable, cheap computer with a webcam and good battery life. Remember that a lot of these old laptops have really, really weak batteries.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2010-09-25, 00:26

I found this!

http://www.macofalltrades.com/B_Grad.../macbook15.htm
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-09-25, 13:47

Nice! Definitely better than what's at PowerMax. It sounds like you can live with a scratch here or there.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2010-09-25, 13:53

Nice buy. If you put like $150 into it with a new hdd and some more RAM, you'd have a very solid machine.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-09-25, 14:02

It's a shame the iPad does have the built-in camera (if you're getting something to keep in touch with the wife back home).

But yeah, $375 on a full-tilt MacBook (with Core 2 Duo, iSight, etc.) is pretty good in this scenario. The hard drive, depending on what you're using it for, may or may not be fine at the 80GB. But definitely put at least 2GB of RAM into it, and you should be set.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2010-09-25, 19:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
It's a shame the iPad does have the built-in camera (if you're getting something to keep in touch with the wife back home).

But yeah, $375 on a full-tilt MacBook (with Core 2 Duo, iSight, etc.) is pretty good in this scenario. The hard drive, depending on what you're using it for, may or may not be fine at the 80GB. But definitely put at least 2GB of RAM into it, and you should be set.
I think the only thing that I will add will be RAM, like you suggest. The HD is something I can live with.