User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

iPhone4 16gb or 32gb?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone4 16gb or 32gb?
Fullthrottledesigns

2011-01-31, 11:42

I am going to order a Verizon iPhone Wed. night (Thur. morning really) but I am still unsure which to go with. I have about 7gb worth of music and alot of gb worth of movies in iTunes. I plan on putting my entire music library on the phone and maybe a few movies to let my son watch in certain situations (he is 2). But I also want to use it to take photos and short movies of him doing random cute kid things, so should I go for the 32gb or would 16gb be alright? How big are the movie files that the iPhone shoots?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-01-31, 11:51

I've always went with the highest capacity because you can't upgrade that. Even though it's not filled right now, when I go on vacations, I do like to load up movies or tv shows.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2011-01-31, 12:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullthrottledesigns View Post
How big are the movie files that the iPhone shoots?
I shot a 4 min video the other day and the file size was in the 300 MB range. Not bad, but if you use the camera a lot, it'll add up quick.

Personally I went with the 16GB most recently, and do a pretty solid job of staying a good 4GB under. But like Yontsey said, you can never upgrade the hard drive without purchasing a new phone. Also, keep in mind that iOS updates will always take a slight portion of your capacity and that also is likely to grow.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Fullthrottledesigns

2011-01-31, 12:21

Thanks, I have an old 1st gen. iPod mini and it's on it's last leg so this is my new iPod/phone and I get a $50.00 credit from Verizon so I think I should just go with the 32gb and hope it lasts me about 5 years.
Fullthrottledesigns

2011-01-31, 12:26

I forgot to ask does the memory usage affect the phones overall performance? If I get a 16gb and have it near capacity will it be noticeably slower than if I get a 32gb?
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2011-01-31, 13:50

I haven't noticed hard drive capacity affecting performance, but running apps does. Clearing out your backgrounded apps (open up the multi-tasking tray, hold down one of the apps and then start clicking the minus button) once a day or so will increase performance.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2011-01-31, 18:07

Even with a good amount of apps running in the background, the iPhone 4 really doesn't bog down that much. Rarely do I have a slowdown but like Justin said, clearing out old apps cures it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-01-31, 18:22

32 gig. You'll load it up with good apps and cute movies in no time.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2011-01-31, 21:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
32 gig. You'll load it up with good apps and cute movies in no time.
+1

Amazing how many good free apps you might be tempted to try and fat ones you might buy
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-01-31, 21:48

I'd go 32 GB, after all you'll be stuck with the same phone for the next two years (most likely).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-01-31, 21:50

FWIW, I opted for the 16GB. On my next go-around, in a couple of years, I'll get a larger one. But I've got a ton of music, photos and video (349 songs, .64GB of photos, several HD videos I've shot and 63 apps) and still have 9.8GB free.

I don't have my entire music library, but it's also over twice the size of yours, at just under 16GB.

I offload/sync stuff enough that I don't feel the need for tons of space. So far, I've not regretted this 16GB model. Ask me again in two years...
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2011-01-31, 21:55

I've got the 16 GB iPhone and I wish I had more than that. I've had it for a few years though, so I've gotten used to it.

With a mix of Smart Playlists and pulling things off every once in a while, I've been able to manage.

When I do eventually upgrade, I'm sure I'll get one with more capacity. Hell, there probably won't even be a 16GB iPhone option with the next update.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2011-02-01, 02:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
With a mix of Smart Playlists and pulling things off every once in a while, I've been able to manage.
Aw come on guys. He lobbed that right above the plate.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2011-02-01, 17:39

Mac+, No idea what you mean!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2011-02-01, 22:59

16GB is fine, I just use compressed AAC files on my phone to get all my music on. Sure there are lots of nice apps, but how many do you really use on a regular basis? I have 50-60 apps on at any given time and still have 6GB free.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-02-01, 23:04

A GPS app is 1.5+ gigs. A few videos of the kids and you've got another couple gigs used. And that's before any music. If you're planning on keeping the phone for a while, the extra $100 now will be long forgotten when you don't need to worry about what to put on there. JMHO, of course.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-02-01, 23:22

Depends if you can stream your music and videos. I got all my stuff on my HTPC and stream it when I need it. With a 8GB 3GS... It's not like I have a choice though.

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
Fullthrottledesigns

2011-02-02, 08:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
Depends if you can stream your music and videos. I got all my stuff on my HTPC and stream it when I need it. With a 8GB 3GS... It's not like I have a choice though.
How do you stream your music??
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-02-02, 10:46

Audiogalaxy

It's great. You install a server application on your computer, download the app, connect... You have acces to your whole library with playlist, cover arts and all.

For movies it's pretty much the same thing with Air Video or Stream2Me. It does a low bandwidth convertion on the fly. So I have access to all my movies at anytime.

You still need to let a couple of tunes in there just for the cases you don't get a signal. You need to be careful too with the monthly bandwidth limit... But I think verizon is only offering the unlimited thing no ? Anyway, I'm on a 6GB plan and I've never came close to bust it (I think I did 4.5 as my maximum). There's just too much wifi everywhere. The only place I stream a lot with 3G is in car (Music/Movies for my daughter)

Last edited by dmegatool : 2011-02-02 at 10:57.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2011-02-03, 22:58

I can't emphasize how many times I wish my iPhone was 64GB or bigger. Having to pick music is just too hard, it's in my nature to wanna carry every track around with me. I've been spoiled by the iPod.

Last edited by Maciej : 2011-02-04 at 01:18.