Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

In market for a wide format printer. :(

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
In market for a wide format printer. :(
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2011-02-03, 16:12

I hate buying printers. I swear, each one of them has been unmitigated disaster what with companies vying to separate me from my wallet for every conceivable possible reasons. I feel reasonably confident buying computers and some electronics but printers. Ugh.

So... I need a prosumer or professional quality printer that can print on large paper -- 11x17 or something. Color gamut and reliability are probably the top two features I want out of a printer.

I've been looking at Epson R1900, R1400 or Canon PIXMA Pro9000 but not feeling satisfied that I'll be happy with it.

Did I mention I hate buying printers?
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2011-02-03, 16:30

Printers are the purest form of evil.

Seriously, does anybody fucking like printers? No.
remlemasi
Formerly “theelmerguy”

2011-02-03, 16:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post

I was reading that second sentence a little too quickly and switched the fourth and fifth words. -_- I mean, it would still be a truthfful statement... I hope.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2011-02-03, 17:59

Rumors of a new 12 colour printer from Canon next week, Feb 7.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/02/w...ing-next-week/
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-02-03, 19:18

I've been using a Pro9000 Mark II for a few months for 13x19" photo prints, and they come out pretty darned good looking (IMHO). I can't tell you how precisely they compare with anything higher-end, but I rather like my results so far.

I'll note that you can find a lot of "used" Pro9000s on Amazon that are used only in the sense that the UPC was removed from the box for a rebate deal. That's how I got mine; everything inside the box was untouched. Might be an option if you're not looking to spend too much (on the printer itself, anyway).
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2011-02-04, 09:09

Mac+ - Thanks. Hopefully that'll push down the price a bit. Not looking to get the latest & greatest; I'd much rather buy a printer that will oh, I don't know, work for at least a year without throwing a hissy fit?

SpecMode, thanks for that information. While we're on that subject, I should ask... for computers, we say "refurbished = twice the quality control for half the money"... does that work the same way for printers?
SpecMode
Wait what

2011-02-04, 12:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
SpecMode, thanks for that information. While we're on that subject, I should ask... for computers, we say "refurbished = twice the quality control for half the money"... does that work the same way for printers?
Well, I've never bought a refurbished printer, so I'm not sure what their reliability is like. I'll note that Canon's warranty for refurbished printers purchased directly from them is only 90 days vs. the normal year for those purchased new.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2011-02-04, 12:36

Ooo, that is not good deal. Apple does offer a equal warranty on either so if I were to buy from Canon, I'd probably forget about refurbished deals.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2011-02-04, 15:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post

I'd rather fuck up a printer myself:

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2011-02-04, 19:50

I laugh maniacally every time I see that scene.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2011-02-11, 13:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+ View Post
Rumors of a new 12 colour printer from Canon next week, Feb 7.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/02/w...ing-next-week/
12 colour? As in 12 separate ink cartridges? Who could afford to maintain such a beast?

I was actually wondering if I should replace my Canon tabloid inkjet, scanner and fax with the HP 7500A All in One.

My only problem is print-quality. The 7500A isn't a photo printer apparently, and Macworld says the text quality is a problem.

But only four cartridges!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2011-02-11, 13:49

It's basically like those Gillette Razors. MOAR is better!

Supposedly, more colors enable for a wider color gamut but I've found this puzzling since I thought that RGB & CYMK should be capable of producing all possible color. Guess there's a snag in the process. :/
Frank777
Veteran Member

2011-02-11, 13:56

Exactly. If four colours (CMYK) can print photographs in newspapers and magazines, why do we need 6 and 8 (and now 12) cartridge printers to get decent photo prints?

Gallery quality shots and hundred-year archival purposes I understand. But for home use? It's just a scam to sell ink.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2011-02-11, 14:01

In my case, I think the needs falls into "prosumer", if not professional and apparently it is what is required to make good quality print. Then again, I don't know much printer and would preferred to not buy one at all.