Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Student Developer vs. EDU Discount ?'s

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Student Developer vs. EDU Discount ?'s
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
Doe

2005-01-31, 14:42

I am going to be switching over from windows and will be getting a new powerbook. I have seen some recent posts saying people have bought new powerbooks using the student developer instead of using the regular student discount. I know it costs 100 dollars to be a student developer. Is it worth going through the process of signing up to get the extra discounts? Will it take just as long to get a powerbook if I bought it using the student developer versus just using the educational discount? Can someone give me a brief overview on how this actually works? I am a fulltime student at a University that apple recognizes. I am looking at getting either the 15'' or 12'' powerbook.

Thanks Dan
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-31, 15:41

Are you going to actually start developing Mac OS X applications?
Doe

2005-01-31, 15:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Are you going to actually start developing Mac OS X applications?
I have to do some web design in one of my classes next semester. I dont think I will be doing any Mac OSX applications though.

Anyone have any info on this?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-31, 15:57

By signing up for a student developer account, you can get a ONE TIME (that's once in a lifetime. period.) purchase from the ADC Hardware Purchase Program. Depending on what you choose to order, using this method can cost much less than purchasing through the regular Apple Store for Education.

Yes, ADC purchases can take longer to fulfill after new product intros than regular orders will. Also, there are no refunds on items purchased through the ADC program. There are other small caveats as well.

Read the information at the links I've provided here and all of your questions should be answered.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Enki

2005-01-31, 16:58

That $99 will also get you OS updates throughout the year, which would include 10.4, offsetting about $69 of that upfront fee right there.
squishles

2005-01-31, 17:33

As long as you're going for a fairly high level machine ($2000 or above in the retail store, $1800 or above in the edu store) the ADC is a better deal. I jsut saved $400 ($500-$99) on my new Powerbook, but just used the edu discount on my last iBook. I'll probably dabble at developing but who knows. If you're a student now and you won't be later I'd use it. Otherwise you'll lose the opportunity to get the $99 membership, and they do check! You have to fax proof- copies of registration and IDs. On a low-end computer, you might end up wasting money on the membership by not saving over $99 on the computer so keep an eye on it.

ED:Just reread your post- on the 12" it's not really worth it, the 15" is- fyi.
Doe

2005-01-31, 23:45

Well I threw down the 99 bones and got the student membership. All I am waiting for now is my financial aid check so I can buy the 1.67 ghz 15'' SD with the 128mg video card. The reason I decided to buy the 15'' model was the screen quality on the 15'' is so much better. I have one year left with my b.s. then I am off to law school. Im just so happy that they finally released an update with a price break because right now I am running Windows 98. :smokey:

Last edited by Doe : 2005-01-31 at 23:52.
ironlung

2005-01-31, 23:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enki
That $99 will also get you OS updates throughout the year, which would include 10.4, offsetting about $69 of that upfront fee right there.
so people with a developer account get tiger for free? or is that at a discounted price..if so..how much?
Enki

2005-01-31, 23:55

Free with a paid developer account. Not free and no discount if you only have a free ADC account. I just used the $69 because that's about what Tiger should go for on the Edu price.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-01-31, 23:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightclub
so people with a developer account get tiger for free? or is that at a discounted price..if so..how much?
As he said, you actually get the OS updates for free in the mail over the term of your membership. Yes, that includes major OS updates like 10.3 and 10.4.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
ironlung

2005-02-01, 00:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
As he said, you actually get the OS updates for free in the mail over the term of your membership. Yes, that includes major OS updates like 10.3 and 10.4.
Can a student developer account get tiger for free as well?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-01, 00:07

Yes, that was the whole point of Enki's post.
I Thrash Therefore I Am

Send a message via AIM to I Thrash Therefore I Am  
2005-02-01, 00:40

HOLY HELL! EVEN MORE GLAD I BOUGHT IT!

Not to mention I saved another 400 bucks off my 15" powerbook (100+99 more than the edu discount)

Only thing I was gonna be mad about was that I had to buy Tiger later. YAY!!

So when the time comes, do they automatically send it, or do I have to go to the website?
Doe

2005-02-01, 00:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Thrash Therefore I Am
HOLY HELL! EVEN MORE GLAD I BOUGHT IT!

Not to mention I saved another 400 bucks off my 15" powerbook (100+99 more than the edu discount)

Only thing I was gonna be mad about was that I had to buy Tiger later. YAY!!

So when the time comes, do they automatically send it, or do I have to go to the website?
I think I read that they send you the CD Rom. I am not 100% sure though.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-02-01, 01:02

http://developer.apple.com/membership/mailing.html
RC23

2005-02-01, 01:23

can i see what the price would be on the product i want with the developer membership?
or, is there a way to see that?
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-02-01, 01:49

http://developer.apple.com/membership/hardware.html
Doe

2005-02-01, 13:03

Does anyone know how long it takes before they confirm that you are a student after you have faxed them your schedule and picture ID?
squishles

2005-02-01, 19:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe
Does anyone know how long it takes before they confirm that you are a student after you have faxed them your schedule and picture ID?
I had a reply in a day or two- don't remember for sure but it wasn't longer than that.
squishles

2005-02-01, 19:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
By signing up for a student developer account, you can get a ONE TIME (that's once in a lifetime. period.) purchase from the ADC Hardware Purchase Program. Depending on what you choose to order, using this method can cost much less than purchasing through the regular Apple Store for Education.

Yes, ADC purchases can take longer to fulfill after new product intros than regular orders will. Also, there are no refunds on items purchased through the ADC program. There are other small caveats as well.

Read the information at the links I've provided here and all of your questions should be answered.
I just ordered the new PB BTO- shipping on the 8th- others are receiving theirs on the 7th. Could be ADC or could be I ordered in the afternoon, but it doesn't seem that I'm losing a whole lot of time on the new one b/c of how I ordered it.
Doe

2005-02-01, 20:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishles
I just ordered the new PB BTO- shipping on the 8th- others are receiving theirs on the 7th. Could be ADC or could be I ordered in the afternoon, but it doesn't seem that I'm losing a whole lot of time on the new one b/c of how I ordered it.
Thats good to hear. I will get my financial aid disbursement check on Friday. So I will order it next week sometime. I faxed them my id pic and schedule today, so hopefully they get back to me pretty soon.
I Thrash Therefore I Am

2005-02-02, 02:44

I got mine I think a day and a half after I faxed it. Its really quick.
RC23

2005-02-02, 03:04

Hey.. I just paid the 99 for the student dev account..
now do i order and they will send it to me?
or does it ask for the fax of my ID when i order?
I Thrash Therefore I Am

2005-02-02, 03:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC23
Hey.. I just paid the 99 for the student dev account..
now do i order and they will send it to me?
or does it ask for the fax of my ID when i order?
Fax a copy of your current or upcoming school schedule and your ID. Nothing is sent to you right away, but once yoou get the confirmation email from Apple that your information (faxed ID and schedule) has been verified, then you can order. You can find a local (well, atleast in your country) fax number on the developer site, or in the email they send you.
chiba

2005-02-02, 03:22

im thinkin of getting a powerbook 1.67, 15", superdrive, and 128mb vid card. does any know what kind of percentage the discount is off the retail price for the student developer? i think regular student is like 10%?
RC23

2005-02-02, 03:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Thrash Therefore I Am
Fax a copy of your current or upcoming school schedule and your ID. Nothing is sent to you right away, but once yoou get the confirmation email from Apple that your information (faxed ID and schedule) has been verified, then you can order. You can find a local (well, atleast in your country) fax number on the developer site, or in the email they send you.
So I would just randomly send them my ID and schedual via fax?
Is it going to ask for this once i purchase?
or should i do this before purchasing?

I got an email that with the title "ADC Transaction Approved" is that what we are looking for?

sorry, 20 questions for ya.
lol.
ironlung

2005-02-02, 09:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC23
So I would just randomly send them my ID and schedual via fax?
Is it going to ask for this once i purchase?
or should i do this before purchasing?

I got an email that with the title "ADC Transaction Approved" is that what we are looking for?

sorry, 20 questions for ya.
lol.
I got an email saying "We are happy to confirm that your Student status has been verified and your ADC Student Membership is now active and available for your use. " I also did not fax my info, scanned the documents and emailed it to them. They were fine with it. Waiting for a check before I order mine.
ar1550

2005-02-02, 15:45

Quote:
I got an email saying "We are happy to confirm that your Student status has been verified and your ADC Student Membership is now active and available for your use. " I also did not fax my info, scanned the documents and emailed it to them. They were fine with it. Waiting for a check before I order mine.
What email address did you send your verification to? I did not see anything on their website other than a web-form for email with no actual address listed. I faxed mine in yesterday, but the fax at my work is somewhat unreliable. I think it went through OK, but I just want to be able to order my PB as soon as I can (my first Mac, woohoo).
Doe

2005-02-02, 17:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1550
What email address did you send your verification to? I did not see anything on their website other than a web-form for email with no actual address listed. I faxed mine in yesterday, but the fax at my work is somewhat unreliable. I think it went through OK, but I just want to be able to order my PB as soon as I can (my first Mac, woohoo).
I faxed my information in 25 hours ago and still no reply. Please post back when you get verified because I really have no clue that it got through, it better have though because I had to pay to get it faxed.
RC23

2005-02-02, 18:10

Quote:
What was the email address you sent it too?
If i can email rather then fax that would be great.. considering ill probably have to goto school to fax.. eh.