User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

Notification emails missing, am I the only one?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Notification emails missing, am I the only one?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-07, 09:31

I used to get updates that threads have had updates since I last visited. I'm not getting those anymore and I'm wondering is it just me or a server thing?

I'm also not getting notifications for PMs either.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-06-07, 11:40

Hmm… I don't use any email notifications; so, I hadn't noticed. I'll take a look at the server logs this evening and try to identify anything unusual.

This also reminds me how much I hate email server configurations… sendmail, postfix, dovecot, I hate them all equally. Maybe it's time for me to look at ripping and replacing the current setup while I'm in there.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-06-07, 11:53

Well, at least I confirmed in the logs that the vBulletin forum software at least thinks it's sending emails. Fortunately I keep verbose email logging on, and I see plenty of recent messages like:

Quote:
Subject: Reply to post 'Notification emails missing, am I the only one?'
Return-Path: sysadmin@applenova.com
Auto-Submitted: auto-generated
Message-ID: <202206071641.8807f4365731@forums.applenova.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: vBulletin Mail via PHP

Dear turtle,

Brad has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Notification emails missing, am I the only one? - in the Feedback forum of AppleNova Forums.

This thread is located at:
http://forums.applenova.com//showthr...1&goto=newpost
I was hoping to see something very obviously exploding, but since it's not, I guess now I'll actually have to park this to come look at later tonight.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-07, 12:31

Thanks for looking into it. I know, shocking that I use the emails, but it helps me see when threads I posted in get updated since I don't always recall to search for new posts.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-06-07, 13:38

I couldn't resist digging deeper. I couldn't wait. I do love a good mystery.

Code:
<t***@***y.com>: host mx.zoho.com[136.143.191.44] said: 554 5.7.1 Email cannot be delivered. Reason: Email detected as Spam by spam filters. (in reply to RCPT TO command)
Code:
Final-Recipient: rfc822; t***@***y.com Action: failed Status: 5.7.1 Remote-MTA: dns; mx.zoho.com Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 5.7.1 Email cannot be delivered. Reason: Email detected as Spam by spam filters.
Code:
# grep -B1 'Email cannot be delivered.' * | grep '@' | cut -d '-' -f2- | sort | uniq -c | sort -rn 532 <t***@***y.com>: host mx.zoho.com[136.143.191.44] said: 554 5.7.1 394 <t***@***y.com>: host mx.zoho.com[204.141.43.44] said: 554 5.7.1 7 <t***@***y.com>: host mx.zoho.com[204.141.33.44] said: 554 5.7.1
Email addresses censored by me, but they're all the same address and it appears to be yours. I expanded my search and found a few other messages failed delivery, but they're dwarfed by yours, and most of them look like legit errors (like "mailbox is disabled").

Can you think of anything to check on your end? I searched Spamhous and a few other blocklists for applenova.com and mail.applenova.com, and it looks like we're clean.

For science, I've subscribed to this thread, and I'm hoping to see if I get an email the next time someone else replies…

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-07, 14:40

Hmmm....

I added applanova.com and forums.applenova.com to the whitelist in the mail handling. Not sure why it would be blocked but those are my mail servers listed there. I'm not seeing any rejections on my side at all. I have a spam folder but it doesn't have anything from AN in it.
Code:
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 5.7.1 Email cannot be delivered. Reason: Email detected as Spam by spam filters.
I wonder if other users have reported AN as spam so Zoho now blocks it across the board?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-07, 14:43

Looks like it is in Spamhaus ZEN

General search here.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-06-07, 14:52

Welp. I guess I need to figure out DMARC.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-06-07, 14:58

It looks like emails sent to my @gmail.com address arrived, but emails sent to my @mac.com never arrived and were rejected by the iCloud MX server with a similar but slightly different message compared to the one I saw for your address.

Did I mention how much I hate mail server configs?

I really hate mail server configs.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-07, 15:05

I know man, I'm right there with you. For my current employer I talked them into an SMTP service so I don't have to fight it anymore!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-07, 17:44

I'm getting emails again. Not sure if you changed something on your side or if my whitelisting the domain(s) did it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-06-07, 22:36

Wow, that was fast!

I actually did make a small configuration change to postfix this afternoon. I thought surely I'd need to submit something to spamhaus to refresh their records, but I guess they detected the change. I'll try to keep an eye on things for a while anyway, and definitely let me know if you notice the emails stopping again.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-06-08, 03:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I know man, I'm right there with you. For my current employer I talked them into an SMTP service so I don't have to fight it anymore!
Yeah, we've moved a lot of stuff to a third party. I'm quite uncomfortable with it because 1) we're literally an IT company; why can't we do this ourselves? and 2) uhhhhhh privacy??, but it's just become less and less practical.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2022-06-08, 08:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Yeah, we've moved a lot of stuff to a third party. I'm quite uncomfortable with it because 1) we're literally an IT company; why can't we do this ourselves? and 2) uhhhhhh privacy??, but it's just become less and less practical.
Every tech-savvy company I've worked for has eventually outsourced its email handling to an outside provider like Google's Gmail or Microsoft's Outlook. Even Red Hat, which you'd think would fully embrace the do-it-yourself approach, handed control over to Google for email and a long list of other things, despite the loud internal objections from people across the spectrum.

I miss the days of the in-house Zimbra server, but I guess I'd feel differently if it was my responsibility to maintain it.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-06-08, 08:38

Would regular email users be advised to move to Gmail or Outlook?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-06-08, 08:44

For my company they downsized some of our staff so that left so many menial things to get done and maintaining a legit mail server is a pain. so many lists to keep clean and salesmen TRYING to get you blacklisted. For us it just made sense to get the SMTP service.

I still manage so much normal infrastructure but mail is one we had to hand off. I do have experience with it from the hosting company I worked for, but really don't like it at all.

Drew, if you are talking about your own private domain I would recommend against Google or Outlook. I actually moved to Zoho because they are privacy focused. They offer a ton of features similar to Google and Outlook, but generally less and privacy focused. Not all plans have a fee. There is a "Forever Free Plan" that is for one domain and five users IIRC.

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2022-06-08, 09:06

Fastmail is supposedly another good choice.