AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Apple store shipping date accuracy?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple store shipping date accuracy?
srwatters

2005-02-17, 13:59

OK.
My first order from the Apple Store.
My first Macintosh. (20" iMac G5/256MB/250GB/BT Kbd/Mouse)
The order status (placed last Friday 2/11) says will ship on or before today (2/17).
Are the iMacs shipping on time?

Anxious switcher wants it NOW!

Thanks,
Scott
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-02-17, 14:36

Most of the time, the shipping dates are accurate. Sometimes they're changed without notice, but they're accurate a good portion of the time.
srwatters

2005-02-18, 08:20

Well... Not this time. When I placed my order the Apple Store quoted 1-3 business days estimated ship. Then I received the confirmation email which stated 2/17 (4 business days), no big deal. This morning the Apple Store says 5-7 business days and MY order is scheduled for 2/24 ship (9 business days AND 5 from TODAY!).

A little sour taste from my first bite of Apple.

Grumble, growl, grouse...

"Dude, you coulda got a Dell" (Nah, maybe Apple will upgrade my shipping for free?)

Last edited by srwatters : 2005-02-18 at 08:21. Reason: Added a little more info
TerryG

2005-02-24, 19:02

You will be much better off that Apple didn't go ahead and ship you an old model with new models so close. The new ones will most likely have faster chips, 8X DVD burners, Firewire 800 ports & better graphics cards. This could be important if what I have read is true, that the new Tiger OS likes or needs beefier video cards. Apple may also drop the price or add more standard ram, saving you some money. I think your lucky to have placed your order just after the switch.
srwatters

2005-02-25, 11:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryG
You will be much better off that Apple didn't go ahead and ship you an old model with new models so close. The new ones will most likely have faster chips, 8X DVD burners, Firewire 800 ports & better graphics cards. This could be important if what I have read is true, that the new Tiger OS likes or needs beefier video cards. Apple may also drop the price or add more standard ram, saving you some money. I think your lucky to have placed your order just after the switch.
Do you have any solid evidence that the iMac has an update in the queue. Nothing was announced regarding the machine when the ipod update hit. I have a new ship date of 3/1, but that isn't here yet either.

BTW, my order is at the bottom of the barrel since I got it from a friend who is an Apple employee. I'm not really complaining very loudly because I am getting nearly $400 off the list price.
TerryG

2005-02-27, 14:20

Apple's delayed delivery times for every iMac model available, both overseas and in the USA are the giveaway to their plans. Their are no G5 chip shortage issues or other component problems to explain these delays. They are stopping shipments to clear out dealer stock of existing iMacs before the new version arrives. August was the last update, the hardware changes are easy to figure out for this update, the only thing that would be a surprise is an LCD large than 20" on the top model. I doubt that will happen this time.
srwatters

2005-03-04, 22:45

Looks like no new model for me. Mine shipped on 3/3 due in TX on 3/9 via FedEx. Most of the folks I've been chatting with on the forums have their units on the way also. I wonder if a container ship went down at sea or if Chineese New Year were to blame for the delay. Either way, I get my machine!

End of thread for me.