User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

"Rev A" Products, First Gen techs?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"Rev A" Products, First Gen techs?
hookalakupua

2005-02-22, 18:31

Please forgive the stupid question, but what exactly are Rev. A Products and what's so bad about them. I purchased a 17" Powerbook a couple of years ago and I haven't had one single problem with it. How can I tell if it's a Rev. A model? It's the 1 ghz model.
Thanks,
Jason
wuf

Send a message via AIM to wuf Send a message via MSN to wuf  
2005-02-22, 18:35

Good question....I've been wondering about that myself, but I ask enough 'stupid questions' (your words, not mine) as it is....

-wuf
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-22, 19:35

That just means that it's the very first generation of a product. Some people avoid these "Rev A" products because the first batches tend to have problems that are later worked out.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
hookalakupua

2005-02-22, 19:39

Thanks Brad!!
Aloha,
Jason
Alcibiades

2005-02-23, 12:19

I'm curious, I've heard a lot of bad things about buying 1st gen technologies, and I was hoping to get a Powerbook at the end of this August (hopefully with the G5 in it) So, I was wondering if they do come out with a G5 PB, should I wait until the next revision/bump, or is the different typically not negligible? I understand none of you can tell the future, but I don't know that much about the history of Apply products, so hopefully some of you can help me from past experience.
Random Hero

2005-02-23, 12:27

As always, if you can wait, wait, if you need something now (or in your case, when the G5 PB comes out) buy now.

It is not uncommon for the first generation of a product to have defects. Many do, not just Apple products, usually any problems are ironed out in the 2nd generation. However, most problems with the 1st generation machines that we've seen in the past haven't been too big a deal. The best thing to do would be if you're thinking about a 1st gen, wait a few weeks for some reviews on it, let the market find any possible defects so you won't have to.

Again, if you can wait, do so. But if you need one now (or in your case, when the G5 PB comes out) you can probably sleep soundly that you'll be alright.

No awkward goodbyes. No 'still friends' bullshit. Just a couple of bruised titties and a failed relationship. I rule.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-23, 16:59

Merging threads...
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-02-23, 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Hero
As always, if you can wait, wait, if you need something now (or in your case, when the G5 PB comes out) buy now.

It is not uncommon for the first generation of a product to have defects. Many do, not just Apple products, usually any problems are ironed out in the 2nd generation. However, most problems with the 1st generation machines that we've seen in the past haven't been too big a deal. The best thing to do would be if you're thinking about a 1st gen, wait a few weeks for some reviews on it, let the market find any possible defects so you won't have to.

Again, if you can wait, do so. But if you need one now (or in your case, when the G5 PB comes out) you can probably sleep soundly that you'll be alright.

It might be a good idea to invest in AppleCare with a rev. a product.
johnq
Multi-touch PiƱata

2005-02-23, 21:36

Technically, I think there are no "Rev. A" products, it's just an example of retronaming. Once the "Revision B" comes out, the original is called "Rev. A" just for convenience.

"Revision" implies revising the original, so "Rev A" makes no sense aside from retronaming and tech-cynic humor.

I'm sure by now though the slang is common enough for it to be bandied about for the initial product release by the industry insiders.

Or I could be wrong.

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
naren
snail herder

Send a message via ICQ to naren Send a message via MSN to naren Send a message via Skype™ to naren 
2005-02-24, 01:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Hero
There are, of-course, notable instances where this was not the case. For example, the Rev. B Al Powerbooks had significant reported defects, including white spots on the screens which the Rev. A models lacked. But then the Rev. A's had this annoying fan problem...

The future is tomorrow!
FallenFromTheTree

2005-02-24, 08:28

Hopefully you will be getting Apple Care with any purchase.

At least before the original warranty expires.

This is especially important with any laptop purchase since they
tend to suffer the worst abuse.