User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

The Mouse BT vs. The BT Micro vs. BT Mini

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Mouse BT vs. The BT Micro vs. BT Mini
SlackerDX

2005-03-16, 13:48

Hello everyone. I have a 15" Powerbook and am looking for a Bluetooth mouse that has two buttons and a scroll wheel. I like the MX900 but I have heard that there are compatibility issues, it's expensive, and I don't really want a cradle. I've been looking at The Mouse BT and the MacAlly offerings. Does anyone have experience with any of these? I am not a gamer and don't really care about portability very much. I just want something that has the two button/scroll configuration and that just works without any hassles.

If I am missing out on any other decent BT mice, let me know. Thanks.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-03-16, 14:33

I've got the Radtech BT500, but I'm finding it a bit too small for use everyday.

I was looking at the Logitech...what bugs me is paying for a BT dongle when I don't need one!
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2005-03-16, 15:09

I really like the Logitech V500, but its RF only. Why can't Logitech make a bluetooth version of it with no dongle?
cjr

2005-03-17, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerDX
If I am missing out on any other decent BT mice, let me know. Thanks.
Belkin and Kensington both make Bluetooth mice which they explicitly support on Macs. Has anyone seen any reviews of either?

Belkin mouse with USB adaptor - $110

Kensington mouse - $70

Cheers,

Chris
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-03-17, 13:35

I would not recommend ANY bluetooth mouse. There aren't any good ones. In fact, from what I've read, the connection itself simply doesn't lent itself to having mice connected through it. I always hear about bluetooth mice being jerky.

I'd suggest picking up a good quality corded or RF-wireless mouse from Logitech, Kensington, or Microsoft. I would highly recommend the Kensington Pilot Mouse, Logitech MX310, or Microsoft Intellimouse. Bluetooth mice only have one advantage - you can connect them to your PowerBook without plugging anything into the USB port. That is IT. Their disadvantages, such as price, poor tracking, and poor selection far outweigh the one good thing about them.
Wraven

2005-03-17, 13:54

Luca,
I'm sorry, but my Apple BT mouse has given me NO problems. I know that's not one that Slacker wants (because it is only 1 button), but I've experienced no jerkiness (so Bluetooth is not necessarily the issue here).

Cheers,
Wraven
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-03-17, 13:54

No jerkyness problems here, using either the Radtech or the new Macally mouse I bought today. I think people who get jerkyness problem have their macs on the other side of the room or something. On the same desk, no probs.

And when you have a 'book, not using a USB port is actually a pretty big selling point, when you only have 2 to start with!
Wraven

2005-03-17, 14:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson
And when you have a 'book, not using a USB port is actually a pretty big selling point, when you only have 2 to start with!
Same with a mini . That's why I bought the D-Link dongle and the BT KB&M (to free up a USB port, and of course to get rid of the wires).

Cheers,
Wraven
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-03-17, 14:54

I'm using an Apple keyboard (corded) so the total number of available USB ports is still 2 after connecting my keyboard and mouse - one on the computer, one on the keyboard.

Also, you can get a wireless keyboard and mouse combo nowadays that puts both the mouse and the keyboard on a single USB port. Although I think Apple could have fixed the problem a little better if they had added a third USB port to the mini. Then again, I don't know where they'd put it... the thing is so tiny there's no extra room at all!
Wraven

2005-03-17, 15:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
Although I think Apple could have fixed the problem a little better if they had added a third USB port to the mini.
Watch out Luca, you might get double-banned for making such statements...

On a more serious note, the thing that REALLY annoys me is the ONE firewire port on my mini means I have to switch between my iPod mini and my DV camcorder being plugged in (until I get my 20" ACD ).

Cheers,
Wraven