PDA

View Full Version : New (for me) iPod error

Ebby
2004-05-17, 13:05
OK, first of all, my iPod has had a little problem for a while. Since January it would go into scan-drive-mode every other time I plug it into my computer. I ran a whole battery of tests when it first came up with Disk Utility and when I got it, Tech Tool Pro. Guess its just a little bug, so what. An hour or so later, a disk icon with a checkbox appears.

That didn't happen today.
The icon I have now is a disk with a arrow pointing right. Anyone know what this means? I am somewhat afraid to push any buttons.

alcimedes
2004-05-17, 15:19
sounds like it's in disk mode, although i'm not 100% sure, so don't quote me on that.

i'd make a backup of all of your music, if you don't have it already and reformat the thing in disk utility. if you can, zero the drive. then install the lastest iPod software on it.

Ebby
2004-05-17, 17:00
Disk mode is a little different. I'll try to post a pic.
http://www.ssba.com/lad/ipoderror.jpg

FFL
2004-05-17, 17:08
Here's what ya wanna do:

1. back up any data on the iPod's hard drive that's not synced from iTunes, Address Book and iCal

2. Use Disk Utility to format the iPod's drive.

3. Run the iPod Updater.

4. You have a "new" iPod.

Ebby
2004-05-17, 17:27
Backing up... No problem.

Will format...

But still, does anyone actually know that the icon means?

FFL
2004-05-17, 17:35
It looks a bit different from the "check disk" icon I'm used to (which had a magnifying glass, ala old-school Norton) but the icon may have changed in the latest iPod SW update.

If you still have problems after the restore steps above, it's time for a trip to the IRL GB, or a mail-in repair with Apple. PM me if you need more info on replacement options.

Ebby
2004-05-18, 12:45
OK. I did a complete reformat, zeroed all the data, and installed the latest software. It still scans the drive every other time. I guess I have a hardware problem. The iPod shipped 6/6/03 so if there is a 1-year warrantee, it is running out.

Suggestions? I really don't want to ship it back to apple because I use it every day. There is an apple store nearby.

HOM
2004-05-18, 12:49
OK. I did a complete reformat, zeroed all the data, and installed the latest software. It still scans the drive every other time. I guess I have a hardware problem. The iPod shipped 6/6/03 so if there is a 1-year warrantee, it is running out.

Suggestions? I really don't want to ship it back to apple because I use it every day. There is an apple store nearby.
Take it to the local ARS. Tell them that you followed all the proper tech support steps as listed on the iPod support page. If it's not an odd sized iPod like the 30GB, they may have a replacement unit in stock. If not, you should get a new one within a few days. If you have any problems dealing with the ARS let me know.

Ebby
2004-05-18, 13:13
If it's not an odd sized iPod like the 30GB, they may have a replacement unit in stock.
You mean like my laser engraved 30GB iPod. :rolleyes: Well, that option is out.

I'll read that support page just in case I missed something.

HOM
2004-05-18, 13:21
If you are willing to forgo the custom engraving they may have a replacement unit in stock. If you want to have the engraving back it may take up to a month to get a replacement unit. So the quicker you go to the ARS the quicker you'll get your replacement.

alcimedes
2004-05-18, 13:49
i would certainly make sure to do it while it's still under warrenty.

that sounds like an odd problem though, can't say as i've run into that before. does it do that on any machine you plug it into, or just your machine?

if it's just on your machine, will it still do it if you boot into safe boot mode? (hold down the shift key while booting)

it could be there's something screwy with your computer.

HOM
2004-05-18, 14:05
I did a little digging around at the iPod support (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60943) area and found this.
http://www0.info.apple.com/Images/kbase/60943/60943_4.jpg
It looks like there are errors with the iPod's HDD that cannot be repaired. Taking it to the ARS is your only option at this point.

Ebby
2004-05-18, 15:40
Aha! I was worried that it was a hardware error. I'll go to an apple store ASAP.

alcimedes: I've tried to recreate the problem, but it is picky. It behaves predictably after I get back from class, (crash/scan) but I can't recreate it in my living room. I am testing to see if I can narrow down the problem. I believe the same thing happens when I plug the iPod into my laptop, but I still need to test it.

OK, it looks like you have to play music for an hour than it will crash on the next sync. Whatever :confused:

FFL
2004-05-21, 01:41
Bad news... the ARS Genius Bar can NOT replace an engraved iPod (last time I checked, unless this has changed). You have to go through Apple's iPod support pages online and set up an exchange. It'll probably cost you a $20 "processing fee" as well.

Ebby
2004-05-21, 13:08
Actually I did that. There is a web page that I had to fill out but it is still under warrantee so it didn't cost anything. They should be sending me a box soon.