PDA

View Full Version : Holy Shat!!! Another Powermac Bump!?!?

chaos123x
2005-05-04, 17:30
Well I orded my Dual 2.7ghz G5 on the day they were updated on the apple website... I also ordered Final Cut Studio.

Final Cut Studio will not ship for AWHILE (month or two)..

When asked for shipping, I put ship all orders together... Pushing the expected delivery date to June 9th...

Now I have been checking my order status religously lately and saw that my order has been sent to Mancufacturing...... WHAT DO I SEE TODAY?????

REPLACED WITH NEW PRODUCT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY SHAT? Am I getting a Quad G5 on June 9th? I hope so.

Or maybe the next step in Order status goes from Sent to Manfacturing and then when it is finished it is called "replaced with new product" I dunno this the first mac I have ever bought....

I will keep my fingers crossed!

Is WWDC near june 9th?

Kickaha
2005-05-04, 17:41
Naw, a Dual 2.5Ghz, they ran out of 2.7GHz chips.

;)

Wrao
2005-05-04, 17:44
Naw, a Dual 2.5Ghz, they ran out of 2.7GHz chips.

;)

I heard they were actually going back to 450 mhz. for a while, ya know, for old times sake.

psmith2.0
2005-05-04, 17:59
...and blue/white towers, with a big "G5" ghosted on the side. I read that at MacCentral.com today...

Retro is king, you know?

torifile
2005-05-04, 18:03
Why would you wait over a month for your computer just to have it ship with FC? That seems silly.

chaos123x
2005-05-04, 18:05
ummm so I'm guessing by everyones sarcastic remarks.. " Replaced with new product" just means it is done the Manufacturing process.

My bad... i was excited for a little bit. 2.7 is good enough

:(

Kickaha
2005-05-04, 18:07
No, actually, we're all referring to a major screw up a few years ago when they announced 500MHz machines... and then had to ship 450Mhz machines to everyone because Moto couldn't get them the chips they needed. Oh, and same price.

MAJOR egg on face.

Interesting report, thanks. :)

chaos123x
2005-05-04, 18:08
On or before
06/09/2005

Thats when Final Cut Studio is supposed to ship. I unchecked the option to have products shipped by themselves and opted to have it all shipped together... So it won't ship till all components are availible

torifile
2005-05-05, 10:57
On or before
06/09/2005

Thats when Final Cut Studio is supposed to ship. I unchecked the option to have products shipped by themselves and opted to have it all shipped together... So it won't ship till all components are availible
I ask again. WHY?

murbot
2005-05-05, 11:50
You are waiting for the PowerMac... so you can have a certain box of software with it at the same time.

I would normally insert a sarcastic, profanity-laden comment here, but I will chill today and keep it clean.

Your insanity puzzles me.

Wrao
2005-05-05, 13:03
Well, to be fair, if I was a professional getting a box that was only going to be used as a final cut slave, I wouldn't want to get my computer months before final cut, because I'd just muck it up with a bunch of random crap. Of course, one could always wipe the drive and reinstall fresh when their software arrives, but I dunno... that's about the only rationale I can think of. Besides, of course, saving money on shipping, which is null since apple has been giving free shipping away on a lot of things.

spotcatbug
2005-05-05, 16:59
Doesn't the warranty period start from the ship date? If it's going to be an FC box, might as well get as much warranty as possible for the "useful" life of the machine.

Luca
2005-05-05, 17:07
Good point. They also won't charge you until it ships.

Jay
2005-05-05, 19:09
Anyway back on topic. The WWDC starts on June 6th and runs to the 10th.

I'm wondering if we will see the line shift assuming this info means anything. So each model moves down one price level and the low end gets thrown out or a price reduction. Which would leave the high end open for an updated model and if they wanted they could put on a super high end model at $3,500. I think that there is enough time to pass so we can see a price drop and not piss off too many people. I don't really expect this lineup to be around all that long anyway.

curiousuburb
2005-05-05, 19:46
"Replaced with new product" is also listed on my backordered Mini.

When pressed, the rep said it's probably the sign that it'll ship with Tiger, not Panther pre-installed.

chaos123x
2005-05-05, 22:48
Well the 2.7 are supposed to have Tiger installed in the first place...

Why wouild I wait for my G5 when I can have it now?

Because I am only using it for VIdeo Editing... No Internet, No MS Office, No videogames...

I will buy a Mini later for that kinda stuff.

How would you feel if you bought a computer months ahead of time and when you finally got the software, your computer became outdated! While it is still new in the box. Since I will not use the computer untill Final Cut Studio comes out, it is better to have it all shipped together.

chaos123x
2005-05-05, 22:53
JAY thats exactly what I am thinking!

Look at the specs for the single 1.8ghz system... The new Imacs blow it out of the water.

The 1.8 will die... and the dual 2.0 will take it's place... and the whole line will shift down.. while somthing better than the 2.7 takes the top spot (3ghz G5? or Dual Dual core G5?)

torifile
2005-05-05, 23:37
Did you guys JUST crawl out from under rocks or what? You realize the PMac's were just updated, don't you? Don't you think that Apple maybe, just maybe, knew that the iMac would be updated shortly after? It's not like they woke up one morning and said "holy shit! The iMac is a better deal than the lowend powermac! Let's update them AGAIN!"

:rolleyes:

chaos123x
2005-05-06, 00:05
$1,499.00

Estimated Ship: Same business day

Free Shipping

1.8GHz PowerPC G5
600MHz frontside bus

512K L2 cache
256MB DDR400 SDRAM
Expandable to 4GB SDRAM
80GB Serial ATA
8x SuperDrive
Three PCI Slots
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
64MB DDR video memory
56K internal modem

VS

$1,499.00

Estimated Ship: 1-3 business days

Free Shipping

17-inch widescreen LCD
2GHz PowerPC G5
667MHz frontside bus
512K L2 cache
512MB DDR400 SDRAM
160GB Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load 8x SuperDrive (double-layer)
ATI Radeon 9600
128MB DDR video memory
56K internal modem

C'mon we all know the line is going to shift SOON!

With my recently orderd dual 2.7ghz "replaced with new product" and the fact that the single 1.8 is getting whooped by a measlly Imac.

IonYz
2005-05-06, 00:30
Maybe they truely have too many unsold G5's and want to get rid of as many single 1.8's as possible? I don't know.

Moogs
2005-05-07, 13:21
Line Shift... that's a new one on me. I've heard just about every type of inane speculation about new Macs over the years but this is a new twist. Brand new high end product is about to get bumped down, because... the price relationship of the low-end product isn't as good relative... to a completely different product? Hmmm.

NAH. You're wanting it to happen but there's no logic reason right now to believe it will.

Luca
2005-05-07, 15:15
Both previous PowerMac revisions were followed several months after their introduction by a minor revision to the low end model. The original 2003 models replaced the middle single 1.8 GHz model with a dual 1.8 GHz for the same price late in the year, and the single 1.8 GHz configuration was added back into the line at the $1499 price point after the 2004 revision. I wouldn't be surprised if just the $1499 PowerMac G5 is updated in a few months. The entire line will NOT be updated, however. It just doesn't make any sense.

I learned one kind of cool thing about the single 1.8 GHz, though... the processor is completely passively cooled. Yes, the heat sink is as large as the LCS in the dual 2.5/2.7 GHz models, and all for a single processor, but there are no fans directly in front of the processors like there are in the other models. So there are two fewer fans than the other models. That doesn't make it a good deal, but I thought I'd mention it because it struck me as kind of cool.

Jay
2005-05-07, 19:38
Line Shift... that's a new one on me. I've heard just about every type of inane speculation about new Macs over the years but this is a new twist. Brand new high end product is about to get bumped down, because... the price relationship of the low-end product isn't as good relative... to a completely different product? Hmmm.

NAH. You're wanting it to happen but there's no logic reason right now to believe it will.

As Luca said their have been shifts already in previous PowerMac cycles. But also it's been done in some of Apple's other lines. Most notably the PowerBook 12" and 17", they didn't come with a full line update they were just added in later at different price points. While WWDC might be on the early side for this type of line modification it wouldn't be out of the question by the Paris show.

To the original poster have you noticed any change in you shipping status worth noting. I think I saw on another forum some where that their PowerMac was also pushed back to the 9th of June.

torifile
2005-05-08, 00:18
As Luca said their have been shifts already in previous PowerMac cycles. But also it's been done in some of Apple's other lines. Most notably the PowerBook 12" and 17", they didn't come with a full line update they were just added in later at different price points. While WWDC might be on the early side for this type of line modification it wouldn't be out of the question by the Paris show.

To the original poster have you noticed any change in you shipping status worth noting. I think I saw on another forum some where that their PowerMac was also pushed back to the 9th of June.
Crack. All of you who think that these "delays" are because of an imminent bump are on it.

IonYz
2005-05-10, 00:01
I learned one kind of cool thing about the single 1.8 GHz, though... the processor is completely passively cooled. Yes, the heat sink is as large as the LCS in the dual 2.5/2.7 GHz models, and all for a single processor, but there are no fans directly in front of the processors like there are in the other models. So there are two fewer fans than the other models. That doesn't make it a good deal, but I thought I'd mention it because it struck me as kind of cool.

:eek: Um..., cool. Can't wait to hear more independent reports on acoustics from the 1.8 GHz. I mean, seriously. Like to see more products cooled passively then liquid-cooled.

Banana
2005-05-10, 00:12
:confused:

Why the preferences for passive cooling system which is noisy, ineffective, and bulky when compared to liquid cooling system?

Its not like that its a radical new technology. Why, its older than computer themselves. Look in your cars hood. We call them radiator.

Seems to me a lquiud cooled computer would be more effective.... Or am I missing something?

Nah, must be crack as Mr. T said. :smokey:

chaos123x
2005-05-10, 00:12
Hmmm

Maybe this has somthing to do with the release of the chipset for the new X-Box...

The other notable thing is... That the Nvidia 6800 card seems to delay orders for weeks, Maybe the upgrade is just a switch to a diffrent high end card like the ATI X800 or somthing.

Maybe steve wan'ts to annouce 3ghz at WWDC (although a whole year late)

Or even worse.... My order status is just a bug on Apples website.

chaos123x
2005-05-10, 00:13
Yes shipping on or before June 9th

Luca
2005-05-10, 00:45
Banana, you don't understand. First of all, passive cooling = no fan = silent. It can't be noisy... it's simply not possible. Second of all, it's obviously effective enough since Apple's selling it. Bulky? The PowerMac case is huge, and with just one processor in there instead of two, they have enough space for a passive, air-cooled system.

Liquid cooling, on the other hand, is also bulky, but also very expensive and comparatively unreliable. That's why it's ONLY used where it has to be.

IonYz
2005-05-10, 01:10
Yeah, what Luca said. Two types of cooling really

Passive = cooled by heatsink alone = silence = yeah!
Active = cooled by force, usually a fan = ranges from quiet to "Wait did you say!?" = boo

Banana
2005-05-10, 08:34
Sorry, my bad. I didn't realize that passize != fans.

But I am a bit puzzled that its "compartively more unreliable."

Sure, compared to passive yes, but not to fans, or at least some of them. Liquid cooling in its most simplest form (a closed loop conduct with no motors) uses no power, requires minimal maintence (no dust to collect in the fan), has no moving parts.

And when I consider cars radiator, a considerably more complex liquid cooling system, its exposed to much more stress than a computer sitting in relative comfort of a home would ever be, yet you are much more to hear "my engine blew up", "my tranny gave out", ""my tires blew out", before you hear "my radiator shot the water up 100 ft high". Even then, the most common worst thing that'd happen is thered be a leaky hose.

Is that really unreliable? Or maybe I'm not understanding something?

Jay
2005-05-10, 21:37
Sorry, my bad. I didn't realize that passize != fans.

But I am a bit puzzled that its "compartively more unreliable."

Sure, compared to passive yes, but not to fans, or at least some of them. Liquid cooling in its most simplest form (a closed loop conduct with no motors) uses no power, requires minimal maintence (no dust to collect in the fan), has no moving parts.

And when I consider cars radiator, a considerably more complex liquid cooling system, its exposed to much more stress than a computer sitting in relative comfort of a home would ever be, yet you are much more to hear "my engine blew up", "my tranny gave out", ""my tires blew out", before you hear "my radiator shot the water up 100 ft high". Even then, the most common worst thing that'd happen is thered be a leaky hose.

Is that really unreliable? Or maybe I'm not understanding something?

I can't comment on the reliability of one particular system but from what I've gathered there is a motor circulating the fluid in the piping on the G5's system. There are also fans blowing air across the radiator which means dust will stick to the radiator and the fans and anything else in the path. All this does use power. I'm thinking you are getting at something where the heated coolant rises and cools which then sinks and gets reheated in an endless loop. With the current set-up they would never flow enough water in this way to cool the processors which necessitates the pump and the fans to cool the radiator block.

The biggest problem is that you have a relatively large volume of conductive coolant under some pressure near very sensitive electronics. Even if it's only a drop escaping, it could fry a motherboard.

IonYz
2005-05-10, 23:29

Ideally.

And others will give you technical explanations so I won't. Simply; if I have a choice between a computer system containing coolant, water, and other stuffs or a "dry" computer I would take the latter.

I'm truly hoping that liquid cooling was not design to eek-out performance but instead for other reasons. I expect better of IBM and Apple.

chaos123x
2005-05-14, 10:51
Well my G5 is about ship... I called the apple store and asked about why it said "replaced with new product" they said it is the same as I ordered, and that it said that because it was "re-allocated" , whatever the F**K that means.

well 2.7 for me.

sorry

torifile
2005-05-14, 11:52
Well my G5 is about ship... I called the apple store and asked about why it said "replaced with new product" they said it is the same as I ordered, and that it said that because it was "re-allocated" , whatever the F**K that means.

well 2.7 for me.

sorry
I gotta say you set yourself up for disappointment. We TOLD you not to think that a bump was coming. But you didn't want to believe us. :rolleyes: Any disappointment you feel you can only blame yourself for.

Koodari
2005-05-14, 14:34
I really appreciate silent computers. Ideally if there are fans, they should be as large, slow and quiet as possible, but passive cooling is preferable. Thick case material, especially aluminum, conducts heat and dampens vibration from HD's and fans. Thus, heavy is good. If it didn't cost too much and if I didn't have to give up too much speed, I think I'd prefer to buy all my computers silent and airtight.

Airtight? Some industrial computers are built like that. It further helps keep any sound inside the case, totally protects the innards from dust and other environmental hazards (next best thing is fan-equipped overpressure case with single air entry point and dust filter - at least some Antec cases are like this).

IonYz
2005-05-15, 02:46
Thick case material, especially aluminum, conducts heat and dampens vibration from HD's and fans. Thus, heavy is good.

Really? I've heard that aluminum doesn't conduct heat quite as well as people suggest. At most the amount it does is negligible. Most quiet builders rely on steel chassis over aluminum since they don't vibrate. The thinner aluminum tends to hum IIRC. But if you attend LANs often, well a LAN Boy will be a much better choice then your typical steel. Your arms and back will thank you.

... next best thing is fan-equipped overpressure case with single air entry point and dust filter - at least some Antec cases are like this).

Yeah, the BQE and related case designs are used quite often for quiet computing. Air filter, intake baffle, relatively few areas that noise/air can exit/enter the front. With the right setup you can have a system with two 120 mm fans (exhaust, processor) running at low power with a fanless GPU and power supply, and of course your hard drives get no cooling. Fanless PSUs are also a bit steep.

Dave Marsh
2005-05-30, 01:32
On a recent iMac G5 system I purchased, I received the same "replaced with" message. It turned out that I had included a modem in the purchase and the model recorded by the website did not. The replacement was actually a correction of the order. This happened to many iMac customers.