PDA

View Full Version : Advice need for the 100km hike (aka FEAR TEH TRAILWALKER!)

stoo
2004-06-29, 16:23
In just under four weeks I am going taking part in Trailwalker (http://www.oxfam.org.uk/what_you_can_do/events/trailwalker/general.htm), in aid of Oxfam and the Ghurka Welfare Trust. The plan is to get our motley team of four across 100km in less than thirty hours, in exchange for a grand in sponsorship.

So, due to my current state of trepidation:

How do you avoid getting blisters? After and hour of football (soccer for those watching in American English ;)) the soles of my feet start to peel badly, so a day could be interesting.
What's the best thing to eat when you'll be active all day? I'm planning on eating bananas, flapjacks, sandwiches and Aberdeen morning rolls (like a flattened croissant, but made with bonus LARD and SALT, equivalent to a whole meal :) .)
How do I avoid missing the train on the Sunday ? (or falling asleep on it).

Naturally, pictures will be forthcoming after the event. Probably of England in the rain. :D

billybobsky
2004-06-29, 21:28
to avoid blisters you need newish well worn-in shoes that fit perfectly. and perhaps those double layer socks...

you need much water to be active all day -- you would be surprised as to how much water actually helps when hiking etc... stiff muscles are mostly due to dehydration in my experience

Windswept
2004-06-29, 21:58
How do you avoid getting blisters? After and hour of football (soccer for those watching in American English ;)) the soles of my feet start to peel badly, so a day could be interesting.
You should be walking every day, starting yesterday! ...to toughen up your feet. Double socks would probably be a good idea. Maybe you should have two pairs of shoes that you could alternate using now, so you don't wear out the one pair by all the preparatory walking you'll be doing for the next few weeks.

Do you only play football occasionally - like once or twice a month? If so, your feet don't have enough regular activity to toughen up. Plus, it sounds like either your shoes aren't snug enough, or your socks are threadbare. Wear two pairs of new socks to protect your feet.

How do I avoid missing the train on the Sunday ? (or falling asleep on it). Set several alarm clocks (like four!), to go off ten minutes apart. Test this system at least one night the week before, to be sure all the clocks are set properly and go off as expected. Buy a small, reliable travel alarm to take with you on the train. Test the travel alarm ahead of time to be sure it's set properly.

Naturally, pictures will be forthcoming after the event. Probably of England in the rain. :D :) Good Luck!

stoo
2004-06-30, 03:52
I have played football twice a week fro a few months now, so I'd expect my feet to be a bit tougher than they are.

Time to invest in a few pairs of double layer socks. I even get blisters when wearing woollen kilt socks.

I'm taking my Camelbak with me an can refill it every 10km or so, so water shouldn't be a problem (as long as I remember to drink).

Thanks!