PDA

View Full Version : PSU requirements for an 800MHz iMac G4?

stoo
2004-06-29, 16:00
I'm contemplating the rehousing of an iMac G4. Does anyone have a pinout for its power supply unit?
Does it take standard IDE hard drives/CD drives?
Can you connect a standard monitor to the video out port without a monitor being connected to the internal port? Is the video out port the same as that on the rev A PowerBook 12"
Does it have both a DIMM and a SO_DIMM socket? Can I chuck any old PC133 RAM into the DIMM socket?

Barto
2004-06-29, 23:42
1) I don't have a pin-out but there almost certainly are diagrams floating around the internet.

2) It takes standard IDE drives, full sized drives in fact so you can transfer the drives to the new housing.

3) I don't know for sure if not having an internal monitor would mess with it but I doubt it.

4) The video out port is just standard RGB out as far as I know.

5) Yes it does, yes you can.

Your main problem will be that the connectors on the MLB aren't standard, the iMac has cables with standard plugs on one end and weird funky Apple plugs at the MLB end.

Wickers
2004-06-30, 03:04
:err:

So tell me,

why would you want to do this? :confused:

Luca
2004-06-30, 08:19
Maybe it's somehow half-broken. Like the monitor died and instead of having the biggest, ugliest case ever sitting next to an external monitor, he wants a regular tower case?

Wickers
2004-06-30, 11:55
You think the iMac G4 is a big ugly case? ? ? :confused:

stoo
2004-06-30, 12:16
I saw one on eBay for cheap, and I've done this sort of thing before. Although it would be interesting to get one into a 1U thickness... :)

stoo
2004-07-01, 18:51
I've found a picture of the iMac G4 internals at http://www.3dnews.ru/reviews/mac/imac/, and there's one things I can't figure out what it is. It's the small PCB with CE on it, behind and right of what I assume is the GeForce 2MX heatsink. Anyone know what it is and if you need one to use the Mac?

http://www.3dnews.ru/documents/3330/vzlom13s.jpg

Wickers
2004-07-01, 21:25
Looks like a modem. . . .

But it could be a wireless card. . . (noting the thin black wire from one side)

Your guess is as good as mine.

Barto
2004-07-01, 21:58
It's the modem.

I just realised another problem: The G4's heatsink is actually a heat-pipe thingy, so you'd need to find a way of effectively cooling the CPU if you changed the housing.

stoo
2004-07-02, 02:46
I have a spare socket A cooler, which should do as long as it doesn't need to clamp onto the CPU properly.

Will it boot without the modem? I heard that the rev A CRT iMacs won't.

Barto
2004-07-02, 03:34
It doesn't have the connecters for a socket cooler. I don't know how you'd cool it. It'll boot fine without a modem.

If you want a headless iMac, just take the display off (instructions will be in the service manual - I'm sure an enterprising young lad like yourself will be able to find a copy on the internet).

Barto

Wickers
2004-07-02, 03:49
Hmmmm. . .

I have to say, at first I was like: "this is dumb and pointless"

But not I am like: "this is cool as hell"

As for the cooler. . . you want to place it in a 1u rackmount case, no?
And the mobo does not have a socket for the heatsink to latch onto, so why not build a custom 1u case, and build the heatsink into the case itself connecting to the CPU via heatsink/block. (sounds a little far-fetched. . . but it works in my mind)

stoo
2004-07-02, 07:53
Perhaps it's both cool and dumb at the same time. :) Hold your horses though, I actually have to win it first. I wonder what reserve they've put on it and if I can convince any of my friends to bid it up to it if it doesn't make it.

I'd rather not build the heatsink into the case until I know I've got it right.

Wickers
2004-07-02, 13:12
If you win it. . .

Then you have to post pictures, and a step-by-step.

stoo
2004-07-06, 13:04
Missed by a fiver. I'll have to keep looking.

jjr1001
2004-08-04, 15:52
Hi all. I am not sure if anyone is still reading this thread and my problem is a bit of topic but i have aquired a broken Imac G4 and i was wondering if i could use the LCD screen with a PC! I have taken the Imac apart and the cable from the screen has a couple of leads coming out from it. One is the video cable and is a small, ultra mini, d type thingy! and the inverter and a few other bits go to an idc socket. Does anyone know what the pin outs are of these plugs and sockets?

stoo
2004-08-04, 18:01
It might be mini-VGA or mini-DVI, like on the PowerBooks/iBooks. If you could post some pictures I'm confident they'll be identifiable.

(mini DVI/VGA converters should be visible at any Apple stocking store. I couldn't find any good pictures of one end on).