View Single Post
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2010-04-05, 16:48

Though this doesn't line up with the rumors of an Expose like interface for multitasking, I've been thinking of ways Apple might negate the need for real multitasking.

Expose-like multitasking has a big problem in that people will keep multiple full applications open. While it works, it does harm battery life.

The thing is, it's not really needed. Who needs to keep a game running in the background, if it properly saves it's state upon close?

People generally want multitasking for two things: audio, and to send messages without closing the current app.

Push notifications allow an app to receive a notification from "the cloud," which is first sent through Apple's server. This allows all notifications to be pushed through one OS-level, streamlined connection.

I'm proposing "Push Messaging" and "Audio Connect." Push messaging would be much like push notifications, only in reverse. This would be a simple text box invoked on demand that could tie in to third party applications like Meebo or Beejive. You could have multiple open chats, and multiple third party apps using the service. All messages would be funneled through the Apple push notification servers, which would provide the same benefits as the current service. The interface might be like that of Android, dropping down from the menu bar on front of the current app (like SB Settings for jailbreakers).

Audio Connect wouldn't be funneled through Apple's servers because there's no reason to--no one should be using iHeart Radio and Pandora at the same time. It is simply an internet radio client (like that included in iTunes) that third party developers could tie in to. It would simply fetch the stream and play it, without any third-party code running. Audio Connect controls could also be invoked from the menu bar.

Take a look at the interface for Words With Friends on iPad. That's the interface I'd propose for Push Messaging on iPad, though the iPhone interface would have to take up much more of the screen.

Thoughts on this? I think it would remove most multitasking complaints.

Last edited by screensaver400 : 2010-04-05 at 17:01.