Thread: iPad-Mini Rumor
View Single Post
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2012-04-19, 20:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post
10 in non iPad sales haven't gone over gangbusters either. Until Apple delivers a smaller form factor and fails this argument about Kindle Fire an Android 7" tablet failures really cannot be used to any good effect.
But now you're decoupling the iPad experience from iPad's physicality. Apple didn't pick the iPad's screen size using a bingo machine. The 9.7" screen is integral to the iPad experience. They very deliberately chose 9.7" as a screen size, just like they very deliberately chose 3.5" as the screen size for the iPhone.

"7" tablets haven't taken off" is a fact. But why? You say it's because there isn't an Apple 7" tablet. I say it's because 7" is a crummy size for a general purpose tablet. Has it ever occurred to you that the reason there isn't a 7" iPad is because Apple has reached the same conclusion that robo and I have?

Quote:
Applying your logic to the rest of Apple's lineup means

There is no need for an 11, 13 and 15" Mac notebooks since the 17" is available and shouldn't we just wait until component costs diminish so last years model can be purchased more affordably?

There is no need for a 21.5 inch iMac when the 27" is available.
Except that's not "my logic." Did you even read my post? I said that the disadvantages of a 7" iOS device outweighs the advantages. But those disadvantages don't apply to Macs. Mac software is not screen size dependent. Mac accessories are not form factor dependent. There is enough of a weight and size difference between the 5 MacBooks and the two iMacs to merit their existence (except for the 13" air v pro, and I firmly believe that the 13" pro is approaching EOL), Apple doesn't sell enough Macs for economies of scale to affect panel size drastically, the differences between Macs are far more well defined due to differences in RAM, storage, and CPU options, and dropping a Mac from the lineup is so easy it doesn't even merit a press release.

All of the reasons I cited for why a 7" iPad is more trouble than it's worth don't apply Macs.

Quote:
In the end you are arguing against choice and that fundamentally is consumer unfriendly.
False. Consumers generally dislike choice, they want to buy their technology and they want it to work.

Quote:
Apple has little risk and everything to gain by growing the ecosystem.
Again, you don't seem to have read my post at all. I listed six reasons why a 7" iPad is a bad idea, you seem to have ignored all of them.

Quote:
Apple's growth has been consistently at 20% per quarter save for a slow quarter 4 years ago or something. You don't see these numbers in companies that try to foist 2 year old tech on people because it's cheap. A $299 iPad that isn't refurbished simply isn't going to happen.

You've got to be kidding me. Apple has been selling the two-year-old iPhone 3GS for six months now, for exactly $200 less than when it was new, precisely because it's cheap. I brought this up in both my posts, multiple times. Please don't respond to me again unless you actually read what I wrote.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

Last edited by Kraetos : 2012-04-20 at 13:31.