View Single Post
Matsu
Veteran Member

2008-05-06, 11:25

I've been learning all about the variations in home/stage lighting tech. Crazy stuff.

I'd love to go fluorescent in the kitchen/bath/hallway areas. My problem is I see flicker and I hate it. I know people say the frequency is too high to see, but from my reading that's not really true. The areas of the eye responsible for peripheral vision can be quite sensitive to flicker, so you can get the effect from your fill light. New generations of retrofit CFL are supposed to come in more pleasing colour temps and have less noticable ultra high frequencies.

I wonder how well it works.

The other weird thing is that most of the CFL solutions are retrofit to Line Voltage 120v fixtures - GU10, PAR16, etc - and not really available for Low Voltage 12v - MR16, GU5.3, MR11. Isn't fluorescent tubing essentially low voltage in operation? I wonder if it requires higher voltage on start up and so won't work with most low voltage fixtures unless we have special transformers.

LED retrofits exist for both, but the more affordable stuff is not quite there yet for consumer applications.