View Single Post
Quagmire
meh

2012-04-19, 12:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
SLS would still use SSME RS-25 engines for the core stage, but having F-1 powered liquid boosters on the sides instead of the current five-segment ATK solids would be interesting.
Yeah.... I hope they do go with using an updated F1 engine( F-1X like with the J-2X?) because it will make the vehicle safer. I know the SRB's have had good reliability( only failure being Challenger), but I just don't like the fact that once the SRB's are lit you are in it for the ride as you can't shut them down.

And I have always wondered why NASA went with the RS-25 instead of human rating the RS-68's. Not only does the RS-68's produce more thrust, they would be cheaper even after human rating. Because the RS-25D's are overly complex due to being designed to be reused for the Shuttle's. So I always thought why go with overly complex engines that cost more for a one time use in the SLS? But, then I read after they use the remaining RS-25D's they have in storage they will be using the RS-25E's which would remove the complexity of the engine and make it more practical to be expendable.

giggity