View Single Post
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-12-08, 22:23

This is the first year I've noticed LED lighting in the hardware stores. This set is specifically what got my attention and I even bought a set to "play with". Then I was going through my RSS feeds and found this article about a guy who's changing his whole island over to LED lighting. While I know it's still an expensive proposition to turn the whole house over the LED lighting it still seems like it's becoming more of a reality to do so.

I'm not finding that many sources yet either. That's part of my problem. I don't mind building some of my own, but this isn't practical for real usage. Anyway, after reading the article and getting a "Kill-A-Watt" (thanks to NosferaDrew) I tested some of my lighting. My halogen torch lamp uses about 300W while my CFL torch lamp uses about 35W. The problem I face though is that is the CFL isn't bright enough for the room. Maybe I just need more lighting in here but then I'm using even more power. We end up turning on the halogen just for the extra lighting.

I did find one source here in the States that looks like a good source but I really don't know, they just came up in a Google search. If I went with their 60W replacement bulb I'd knock down the wattage to about 6W. Compared to the halogen I'd save a fair amount but it's not anywhere near the light either.

So who here is using LEDs for household lighting? I'm sure many of us have them for flashlights and such, but what about a fixture in your home? What are the prices like in those countries that have begun banning incandescent?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.