Thread: iPad-Mini Rumor
View Single Post
zippy
Veteran Member

2012-04-16, 22:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
But what's the point of an iPad mini if there's a $299 iPad?
Because there is no $299 iPad.

Let me repeat that. There is no $299 iPad, and for the life of me, I can't see why that argument keeps coming up???? There is no way in hell the iPad 2 is going to drop to $299 any time soon. None.

You people are on crack if you think otherwise.

(not trying to single you out, but this argument keeps coming up and I see absolutely no logical reason for it to exist)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
But if most of the reason people want a smaller iPad is because they think it will be cheaper, the potential for Apple to further drop the price on the iPad 2 is highly relevant. Like pscates said:
Ahem. Again. There is no chance in hell that Apple is going to drop the price of the iPad 2 to $299. Seriously. None.

OK. I'll move on now....
The only way to get an iPad down below $300 that doesn't lose money, and I think we can all agree that Apple won't lose money on these things, is to make it cheaper to manufacture. That's where the smaller (read cheaper) screen, and smaller (read cheaper) battery come in. There are other ways to lower the price as well: use last years A5 processor, or make them WiFi only to cut production costs, or remove the FaceTime camera, or use a lower resolution rear camera. They could limit them to 8 GB (though I'd prefer 16 as a minimum). They may even end up making a slightly smaller margin on them - but they will make a profit, and it will be more than the other race-to-the-bottom manufacturers ever make.

And I don't think they will reduce any more than is necessary either. I think they will start with screen and battery savings, and decide what else, if anything, they absolutely must do to bring price down.

All of that so far assumes that price is the motivating factor. And I think for some, it may be. But I also truly believe that there are tons of people who simply would like a smaller version. Just like I always thought there were people who would truly like and iPad to begin with even though the vast majority of people thought it was stupid and that Apple would never do that either.

I don't think Apple has to do a smaller iPad. But I think they should, and I think they will. This Fall. And a TV - though that may not be until next year.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!