Thread: iPhone 2012 ;)
View Single Post
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-05-23, 18:38

Honestly, pretty much everything I want to do...other than massive streaming/downloading of stuff via 3G. I've just never been that hard up for entertainment or distraction.

As I said earlier, I'm surrounded by Wifi in the places I go most. And when I'm out and about, I'm often driving so I'm not using the phone then. I'll check e-mail or texts while at a store, but I'm usually there to do other things, so I'm not going to surf or download/stream stuff then either. And the thing gets completely turned off while I'm in a movie because I don't even want to be tempted to look at it if I feel it vibrate. That's my two-hour refuge from the world, and the only time I'm ever truly unreachable.

But I don't limit myself when out or make any special effort to "not use it". If I want to surf somewhere on 3G (waiting for someone, killing time in an airport, parking lot or non-wifi bar or restaurant), I certainly will, and do. But it's never enough to tally up to any big numbers. But I don't download music, movies or apps over 3G, no. When I travel and know I'm going to be out and about for a day, away from any wifi, I'll just make it a point to load up my favorite 150 or so songs (which I usually have onboard anyway), and maybe 5-10 episodes of various favorite podcasts (stuff from 5by5 and Yeah It's That Bad). So between that (using it as an iPod, with stuff pre-loaded) and general surfing/e-mailing, I'm good for the day.

I use Safari, Mail, Scrabble, Boggle, DrawSomething (I know... ), Maps, YouTube, iTunes, App Store, iBooks, Camera, Photos, Weather, Calendar, Guitar Machine (a guitar tuner), Weather Channel, Fandango, Twitter, Pages and Around Me on a fairly consistent, ongoing basis. And, yes...talking and Messages.

It's just that I'm usually on a Wifi network when doing those things so it's never eating much into my data allotment. Which is why, after nearly five years, I can still easily get by with the cheaper 200MB plan.

App-wise, about the only things I don't ever launch/use are Game Center, Compass, Newsstand and the Stocks widget.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-05-23 at 18:49.