Thread: iCloud
View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-10-12, 13:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I actually use Find My iPhone. It's saved me a couple of times. I have to pay $30 and upgrade to Lion (which then triggers a massive Adobe CS upgrade) just to use that?
To find your iPhone? No, probably not, actually; there's a website for that.

To have Find My iPhone find your Mac as well? Yeah, you'll probably need Lion for that. I suppose someone could pack up whatever background task does it (aosnotifyd?) and release it as an installer for 10.6, though.*

Quote:
And check this out:

That's kinda weird, isn't it? Supporting the previous major release of Windows, but not OS X (which more people are still on, vs. Lion, I'm sure).
It's always been that way, though. It's not long ago that iTunes for Windows still ran on XP, which is from October 2001. How long ago did iTunes run on the September-2001 OS X 10.1?

Quote:
I understand the "they support Vista because Microsoft still does". Fine. But why doesn't Apple still support Snow Leopard in these endeavor? It's their OS, and a hell of a lot more users are still on it than Lion, I'd wager.
True. For example, Adium shows only 26.88% of people on Lion, with 43.01% still on 10.6.8 (not to mention other 10.6 releases!).

But someone who's still on an older piece of software isn't necessarily likely (quite the opposite) to, despite that, install additional software.

Quote:
No, it's not the end of the world. But it's odd, and is sure to cause some confusion or frustration. Find My iPhone and whatever else worked wonderfully on Snow Leopard and iOS 4.whatever.

Was there ever a Find My iPhone app for the Mac before? If there was just the website… well, there's still a website.

*) But even if you were to do that, some features like remote locking wouldn't work. Lion adds various things like being able to quit applications fast yet cleanly to accomplish that.