Thread: iCloud
View Single Post
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-10-12, 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Oh, don't be silly. Nobody's going back that far.
No, I know. Silly hyperbole on my part.

Quote:
Up until a few weeks ago, Snow Leopard was the OS. And with some people still needing Rosetta or whatever, it's crazy to assume that everyone has jumped on Lion. There were/are some legit upgrade issues for people, even with newer hardware and recent third-party apps.
Yes, absolutely!

But nobody has to move to iCloud, do they? And basic services like Mail, Contacts and Calendar will most likely work. So what if the new, added stuff like Find My iPhone doesn't?

Quote:
Gazillions of people don't upgrade to the new OS in the first few months...this is nothing new or weird. There are tons of people still on Snow Leopard, for various legit reasons.
Nobody needs to upgrade ASAP. The notion however that you don't upgrade to shiny part A and should still get shiny part B regardless? I don't understand it. I reject it.

Quote:
Nobody's talking about 9.2 or 68k Macs. When you have to go that far around the bend to make a point, you've already lost.

Okay, then I've lost. Boo hoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost View Post
Indeed. And they support Vista for goodness sake. Dumb.
They support Vista because Microsoft supports Vista. It's pretty much as simple as that. They dropped XP support around the time Microsoft did.

They've always been far more aggressive about dropping support for older OS X releases than Microsoft has been about Windows releases. There's a big, obvious con to that, but there are less obvious pros as well. Dealing with legacy isn't really anyone's forte; in the end, it leads to awkward compromises.

I still pretty clearly remember the discussion two years ago at my place about dropping Windows 2000 / .NET 2.0 support. (I won.) And last year about dropping Office 2003 (which has very limited .NET capabilities) support. (I lost.) Nobody at Apple says "yeah, let's screw over these guys by dropping support so they buy new, expensive stuff of ours. That'll teach 'em."