View Single Post
Matsu
Veteran Member

2012-01-31, 07:50

I think people speculated about that because the high (rumored 36MP) resolution resembles that of medium format digital, and many of those have no AA filter. Fuji re-arranges the pixel matrix in the X Pro 1 sensor to simultaneously eliminate the AA filter and defeat moire. They claim this can't be done with a bayer pattern. We haven't seen a direct comparison yet. A popular opinion, though it may be nothing more, is that once pixel densities are high enough, you won't need an AA filter - the frequency of the sample will be far finer than the resolving power of the optics in front of it. I don't know, AA-less sensors seem preferable to some photographers.

I think a combination of market position, timing, resolution, and video made the 5D2 more popular overall - It was the first time you could get a big motion picture look from a cheap camera, but it involved a lot of compromises. That matters less now. If I shot any video for an event, I'd probably go with a smaller sensor camera and intercut with a few photos and some pretentious pseudo-artistic DSLR video shots, but take the bulk of the video from something small and fast a Nikon1, 4/3rds, or NEX or something like that, or I'd partner with someone shooting just video on a proper motion camera. I don't have a big interest in that either way, but it may be a part of winning some kinds of event business...

Last edited by Matsu : 2012-01-31 at 11:05.