View Single Post
remlemasi
Formerly “theelmerguy”

2007-09-20, 16:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
A couple corrections...
(great write-up though)

FIOS phone service isn't VOIP. It is based upon DA and AD conversion at each end. Meaning, you can ever run an old analog modem on it.

It is possible to have both twisted pair and coax output from the ONT simultaneously. This allows the Actiontec to be behind your own router, functioning solely as as NIM
Oh yeah, I never claimed FiOS phone service is VOIP. I said it was NOT VOIP but that it was still run through the FiOS through a third and separate wavelength. The old copper lines are connected somehow to the ONT and converted from the analog normal phone signals to the digital optical singnals and sent to Verizon.

However, I disagree with your second statement. It is my understanding that ONT can only be programmed to send data to a router (Actiontec or not) through either ethernet OR coaxial (not both). Of course, coaxial will still be run directly to the STBs/DVRs to pass info that was on the video wavelength.

If you want the Actiontec to function solely as a NIM, you would have to run an ethernet cable from the ONT to a router of your choice; then another ethernet cable run from a LAN port on that router to the WAN port on the Actiontec (or was it LAN port? I forgot, but it's searchable). In this way, the Actiontec would be running in Bridged mode, functioning solely as an NIM to pass info to and from the STBs/DVRs. I believe that is how the old Motorola NIM-100 systems are set up (before the Actiontecs came out).

Remember, the function of the Actiontec (or any NIM) is to get the STB/DVR requests onto the data wavelength (versus the regular video wavelength) and data can only be sent from the ONT via either ethernet OR coaxial, not both.

I hope that wasn't too convoluted. What do you think? Again, this is what I have come to understand. If you have heard otherwise, I'd like to be informed!